holy crap wtf
Quote:Citizens of Granville, PA can set their tap water on fire

http://io9.com/5844270/citizens-of-granv...y-crap-wtf

[Image: xlarge_methanesinktop.jpg]
exactly what am I looking at?
(10-04-2011, 09:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: exactly what am I looking at?

Hard to say. Looks like perhaps a woman, maybe Mennonite, trying to put out a burning straw under a faucet. Either that or she might not be Mennonite and it might be a really, really long doobie that got out of hand! Smiling

From Chuck's link:

"The WSJ's Mustafa Abdulaziz writes:

Many water supplies in northern Pennsylvania have long contained detectable levels of methane, because of poorly constructed water wells and the unusual geologic features here. But the contamination in Ms. Vargson's existing well is among the first cases that state regulators have attributed to natural-gas drilling.

Pennsylvania sits on top of some of the country's most gas-rich shale in the United States, making it a veritable gold mine for companies looking to harvest natural gas by deep-drilling and fracking. But stories like Vargson's beg the question: couldn't this energy be harvested without the unfortunate side effect of, you know, setting people's kitchens aflame?"
I have a high-school acquaintance who has been fighting tooth and nail against the companies who continue 'tracking'. She has been going on about it for a couple of years and the issue is finally getting the attention it deserves.

We are the 99 percent!
(10-05-2011, 11:51 AM)TennisMom Wrote: I have a high-school acquaintance who has been fighting tooth and nail against the companies who continue 'tracking'. She has been going on about it for a couple of years and the issue is finally getting the attention it deserves.

We are the 99 percent!

LaughingLaughing I think you meant frackingBig Grin
They even made a movie and it has come up here.
I'd like to have a well that put off natural gas too.
(10-05-2011, 11:51 AM)TennisMom Wrote: I have a high-school acquaintance who has been fighting tooth and nail against the companies who continue 'tracking'. She has been going on about it for a couple of years and the issue is finally getting the attention it deserves.

We are the 99 percent!

Is that like "ON STAR" who track your car whether you subscribe or not and sell the info to insurance companies?
(10-05-2011, 05:18 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'd like to have a well that put off natural gas too.

I think if you combine your septic line and your well casing together, you might get such a wish. Laughing
I'd be pretty happy to get methane off my septic tank, too. I haven't figured how to do that and retain the vent pipes though. Smiling