Thanksgiving Decorations
Am I the only dork who loves to decorate for Thanksgiving? I'd buy more but don't wish to be subjected to my DH's glare of disapproval, since he thinks we probably already have enough.

I have my all-time favorites, the Gurley candles, of a pilgrim boy and girl with a turkey, along with carved pilgrims, turkey candles, pilgrim candles, Native American pieces and a flag outside my house with a horn-of-plenty and a "Happy Thanksgiving" written on it. There are T-Day towels and decorations in the downstairs bathroom, a framed Currier-and-Ives print captioned "Home for Thanksgiving", Indian corn on the front door, a Fall wreath on an inside door, etc. I love the stuff!

What stuff do you have around your house for Thanksgiving? Big Grin
Oh TM there are plenty of women folk and kids who love to do so. Now the grown men who do ? Well nuff said about such things , we men are out cuttin firewood , killing turkeys and stuff . Right Wonky ? I hear Wonk hunts from his Harley.
I'm slaughtering the pumpkin today. Does that count?
(11-17-2011, 01:58 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Am I the only dork who loves to decorate for Thanksgiving? I'd buy more but don't wish to be subjected to my DH's glare of disapproval, since he thinks we probably already have enough.

I have my all-time favorites, the Gurley candles, of a pilgrim boy and girl with a turkey, along with carved pilgrims, turkey candles, pilgrim candles, Native American pieces and a flag outside my house with a horn-of-plenty and a "Happy Thanksgiving" written on it. There are T-Day towels and decorations in the downstairs bathroom, a framed Currier-and-Ives print captioned "Home for Thanksgiving", Indian corn on the front door, a Fall wreath on an inside door, etc. I love the stuff!

I have my house decorated. Even with a Turkey at my door that says welcome. There is a wonderful store here that makes it very easy to decorate for the holidays.
We have Indian corn on the door and a couple pilgrim kid scarecrows in the front garden!
(11-17-2011, 02:45 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I'm slaughtering the pumpkin today. Does that count?

Is that a euphemism I haven't heard of?Big Grin
We give ours lobotomies before carving.... On that note, not much for Thanksgiving-- I'm married to a "non-decorator" so it's been a slow and ongoing process of corruption.
(11-17-2011, 07:11 PM)reelo Wrote: We give ours lobotomies before carving.... On that note, not much for Thanksgiving-- I'm married to a "non-decorator" so it's been a slow and ongoing process of corruption.

ah...sometimes a slow and ongoing process of corruption can be hella fun! Laughing
And while you're at it, let him think the whole thing was his idea to begin with. Wink
Fat chance of that happening most likely.

[Image: novelty-turkey-string-lights.jpg]
When I turned into a "Removed" Scotch/Cherokee, the holiday lost some of it's glow.
(11-17-2011, 07:35 PM)illcommandante Wrote: When I turned into a "Removed" Scotch/Cherokee, the holiday lost some of it's glow.

I hear ya...my family immigrated here from Germany in 1736.
My husband's family is comprised of both ex-slaves and Cherokee Indians.
He has a little different vibe when it comes to some of our traditions. Wink
[Image: HS-antique.jpg]
(11-17-2011, 01:58 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Am I the only dork who loves to decorate for Thanksgiving? I'd buy more but don't wish to be subjected to my DH's glare of disapproval, since he thinks we probably already have enough.

My mother decorated for EVERY holiday...including St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, Presidents Day....can you say overkill? No wonder I don't decorate at all.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Understood.

The pumpkin on the porch. I'm too overwhelmed for anything else.
(11-17-2011, 02:35 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Oh TM there are plenty of women folk and kids who love to do so. Now the grown men who do ? Well nuff said about such things , we men are out cuttin firewood , killing turkeys and stuff . Right Wonky ? I hear Wonk hunts from his Harley.

Big Grin

(11-17-2011, 07:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Fat chance of that happening most likely.

[Image: novelty-turkey-string-lights.jpg]

I LOVE THAT.
It isn't so easy to find turkey jewelry but I have some silly stuff that I wear every year. My kids enjoy making fun of me but lemme tell ya, if I don't wear it then I'll hear about it. They now come to expect their mother to be decked out for Turkey Day.
The Thanksgiving towels in the bathroom were good for a laugh from them. Ingrates.

Tia, we still have our pumpkin on the porch too, an uncut one. Some people surround them with cute little gourds and pots of chrysanthemums. Maybe one of these days..

(11-18-2011, 04:59 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(11-17-2011, 02:35 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Oh TM there are plenty of women folk and kids who love to do so. Now the grown men who do ? Well nuff said about such things , we men are out cuttin firewood , killing turkeys and stuff . Right Wonky ? I hear Wonk hunts from his Harley.

Big Grin
My ,late uncel Dale who spent 70s on the front and got hit in the leg ? He used to take his truck down to the lower tract park in the upper area and just wait for a Tom . I have used a few of the feathers but I have most of two wings and the tail for sticks and for flutes. Country Roads take me home.Smiling
(11-17-2011, 09:14 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

The pumpkin on the porch. I'm too overwhelmed for anything else.
That's right , and for any Newbies who dont know Tia is not a Xmas time fan , the more you shove ho ho ho in her face the unhappier she becomes. So Dont !