What Read Did You Most Enjoy This Year?
(10-12-2013, 06:31 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 06:20 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 06:17 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 06:12 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 05:32 PM)csrowan Wrote: I did. Loved it.

EDIT: Although...

I have to say that although I appreciate Heinlein as an author, I can't stand him as a human being. And while my political views obviously differ, I particularly take offense at his chauvinism.

And while I read everything he wrote, I am more appalled at his obvious predilection for incest.

Meh. He also took care to explain the genetic problems with it, everything was consensual, and it was fiction.

Look at it this way. If Little Tommy grows up, gets a vasectomy, and meets a girl, falls in love with her, marries her, then finds out that she's his long lost sister, is there anything morally wrong in what they've done?

But that is NOT his belief. Re-read "To Sail Beyond the Sunset". Mama Maureen had the hots for her daddy AND her son, and EVERYTHING else in his fantasy world revolves around that.

But, when Lazarus ended up buying the twin slaves (who ended up being his descendants, I think), he explained genetics to them with a deck of cards (which he stacked) when their children started playing around. He didn't want them having kids together.

Yes, there's a lot of incest. But most of it is in Laz's family, and Lazarus has a very odd genetic code. He may even be his own father. The Howard Families weren't supposed to get anything like him for many generations, and he was only the second or third generation, I think.

But ultimately, everything was consensual, and it was fiction.

And my question was not related to his books, but to the notion of incest. I don't personally understand why so many people find it such a taboo. It's not particularly appealing to me, but I don't find the notion of other people doing it disgusting or appalling. It's only the notion of doing it without taking precautions to prevent inbreeding that I find problematic from a moral standpoint.

Now we know.
(10-12-2013, 08:11 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 04:34 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 03:20 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 12:07 PM)Larry Wrote: "Lamb" by Christopher Moore.

Sub titled "The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

An irreverant and hilarious story that helps fill in the gaps of Jesus's life between birth and the crucifiction.

Christopher's writing style is much like Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), but without the British accent.....

Not for deeply religious zealots.

Oh yeah! A fun read.
PS: Larry, I gotta admit I was surprised to see you read that. Don't know why really.

I think I can shed some light on why you may have been surprised. It has always appeared to me that anyone who defends the notion that Christians have the right to believe in God and Jesus, they are automatically assigned the role of "religious zealot" by all others.

My many arguments with Cletus on this subject cement my point. I have no religious inclinations whatsoever, as far as "what I believe".

My arguments have always been more about live and let live. I have never understood anyone from EITHER side who feels it is their duty to "destroy" the other side. Live and let live.

So I have never quite understood Cletus's obsession with what others may believe.

But I digress.... The book was knee slapping funny in places, while staying very true to the known "facts" of the time. Mr. Moore paints a vivid landscape in a time where life was very different from the modern world. He DID his research of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I will now begin "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly, to keep with the theme. I am certain it won't be nearly as entertaining, but I am looking forward to comparing the research with regard to the events and the timing of them.

NOTE: Always wonder at this point: I want to reply to Larry's comments but maybe it would be more appropriate to send him a PM?
I'll put it here and if anyone want's to comment about the choice, or the content, I'll take instruction from that.

Larry, I was not "surprised" (maybe a poor choice) by your attitude toward religion. And, I think there are lots and lots of attitudes about that. Clete expresses one, others another, and still fit into the definition of Atheist I guess. I too, have my own views.
My surprise was that I didn't think your reading list would be that eclectic. And that says a whole lot more about me than you. It also points out a fault in society in general and interaction here on the RVF for sure. All too often I rush to judgement about folks, defining them by a only a few comments or other expressions. I should learn to get over that.
So, I see you in a different light. Again, it demonstrates my fault(s) and prods me to "measure twice cut once".
Live and learn I guess.
Life keeps knocking the wind from me and trying go get me to pay attention.

And that's what that was all about. Wink

The more I think about your response Wonky, the more I see you think me a fool.

Somehow, you can't imagine a Conservative with an imagination or enjoyment of good fiction? You are correct. This says more about YOU than me.

I AM offended.

EDIT: Then I got over it. Nothing and no one on this forum is worth more a few fleeting moments of thought.
(10-12-2013, 07:12 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-12-2013, 08:11 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 04:34 PM)Larry Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 03:20 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-11-2013, 12:07 PM)Larry Wrote: "Lamb" by Christopher Moore.

Sub titled "The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"

An irreverant and hilarious story that helps fill in the gaps of Jesus's life between birth and the crucifiction.

Christopher's writing style is much like Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), but without the British accent.....

Not for deeply religious zealots.

Oh yeah! A fun read.
PS: Larry, I gotta admit I was surprised to see you read that. Don't know why really.

I think I can shed some light on why you may have been surprised. It has always appeared to me that anyone who defends the notion that Christians have the right to believe in God and Jesus, they are automatically assigned the role of "religious zealot" by all others.

My many arguments with Cletus on this subject cement my point. I have no religious inclinations whatsoever, as far as "what I believe".

My arguments have always been more about live and let live. I have never understood anyone from EITHER side who feels it is their duty to "destroy" the other side. Live and let live.

So I have never quite understood Cletus's obsession with what others may believe.

But I digress.... The book was knee slapping funny in places, while staying very true to the known "facts" of the time. Mr. Moore paints a vivid landscape in a time where life was very different from the modern world. He DID his research of the time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I will now begin "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly, to keep with the theme. I am certain it won't be nearly as entertaining, but I am looking forward to comparing the research with regard to the events and the timing of them.

NOTE: Always wonder at this point: I want to reply to Larry's comments but maybe it would be more appropriate to send him a PM?
I'll put it here and if anyone want's to comment about the choice, or the content, I'll take instruction from that.

Larry, I was not "surprised" (maybe a poor choice) by your attitude toward religion. And, I think there are lots and lots of attitudes about that. Clete expresses one, others another, and still fit into the definition of Atheist I guess. I too, have my own views.
My surprise was that I didn't think your reading list would be that eclectic. And that says a whole lot more about me than you. It also points out a fault in society in general and interaction here on the RVF for sure. All too often I rush to judgement about folks, defining them by a only a few comments or other expressions. I should learn to get over that.
So, I see you in a different light. Again, it demonstrates my fault(s) and prods me to "measure twice cut once".
Live and learn I guess.
Life keeps knocking the wind from me and trying go get me to pay attention.

And that's what that was all about. Wink

The more I think about your response Wonky, the more I see you think me a fool.

Somehow, you can't imagine a Conservative with an imagination or enjoyment of good fiction? You are correct. This says more about YOU than me.

I AM offended.

EDIT: Then I got over it. Nothing and no one on this forum is worth more a few fleeting moments of thought.

And, I can understand your feelings.
I never thought of you "as a fool" or anything close.
But in the years here, I don't remember you engaging in "reading stuff". Most likely me; I can't remember my last name half the time.
Anyway, "I stand corrected".
But thanks for the Edit. Shows good form, I think.
Thread cleaned up. Just a friendly reminder that this section of the site (The Lounge) does not allow argument/debate/political discussion/personal attacks (per the red header right above the post box).

Thanks,

Kameron
(10-13-2013, 12:11 AM)kgasso Wrote: Thread cleaned up. Just a friendly reminder that this section of the site (The Lounge) does not allow argument/debate/political discussion/personal attacks (per the red header right above the post box).

Thanks,

Kameron

Thanks KAM,
Greater love hath no administrator than to provide oversight on the Christian sabbath. But then, I guess that's why you get the big bucks. Wink
(10-13-2013, 08:33 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(10-13-2013, 12:11 AM)kgasso Wrote: Thread cleaned up. Just a friendly reminder that this section of the site (The Lounge) does not allow argument/debate/political discussion/personal attacks (per the red header right above the post box).

Thanks,

Kameron

Thanks KAM,
Greater love hath no administrator than to provide oversight on the Christian sabbath. But then, I guess that's why you get the big bucks. Wink

So how could this have happened? I mean tv, scar, or myself haven't posted in here. Well I did once, just for kicks. Personally I think it's fine not relaying to you what I read, wouldn't want to damage your opinion of me.
Didn't you already tell us it was Soldier of Fortune magazine anyway? How can there get any higher brow than that?
(10-13-2013, 05:17 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Didn't you already tell us it was Soldier of Fortune magazine anyway? How can there get any higher brow than that?

How about "How to align the chakras and create a positive chi of a public forum, for dummies"?