What Read Did You Most Enjoy This Year?
Wonky Wrote:
rainylady Wrote:I think I read three books.

"Landlording", another book on landlording, and George Bush's book.

The landlording books were simply informative and the Bush book was rather repetitive and redundant.

I have been going through a lot of changes and haven't has enough time to read.

I like to read the GOOGLE BOOKS website but they don't include the ENTIRE BOOK. If you have any recommendations of NON-FICTION please PM me or post it in response here.

RL, if you have not read Marley and Me, it's a great nonfiction read and will take your mind of everyday troubles. If you like history, you might want to read 1491, the story BEFORE Columbus hit the beach.

Can you give me a little background on what Marley and Me is about? 1491 sounds good, I will see if it is available on Google Books.
Wonky,
I was able to find both books on GOOGLE BOOKS.
Marley and Me does not interest me but 1491 does. I read through some of it and like how he speaks of the ecology of the indians. I find that it is hard to believe they can trace civilizations soo old that they can figure how they came to America. The book was mentioning that they were trying to discredit the theory that mankind crossed the ice up above Alaska. It's really hard for me to trust the authenticity of Archeology going back so far.
I am having difficulty reading the book on Google Books because they take out pages every 5 pages or so. I will have to try and get this one at the library.
I keep looking at that copy of War And Peace. But listening to Gillian Welch.
rainylady Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

The landlording books were simply informative and the Bush book was rather repetitive and redundant.

I like to read the GOOGLE BOOKS website but they don't include the ENTIRE BOOK. If you have any recommendations of NON-FICTION please PM me or post it in response here.

RL, if you have not read Marley and Me, it's a great nonfiction read and will take your mind of everyday troubles. If you like history, you might want to read 1491, the story BEFORE Columbus hit the beach.

Can you give me a little background on what Marley and Me is about? 1491 sounds good, I will see if it is available on Google Books.

No! Don't want to spoil it for you. (But you could google it). It's about a dog. You can't help but like it.
rainylady Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

EDIT: Posted before I read you post following.
If you don't read Marley and Me I may have to come break your legs. It's that good.
Wonky Wrote:And still, you did not list ONE!

Yes, I did! The Children's Hospital, by Chris Adrian. I didn't expect anyone to read the whole post. Laughing But I added the others mostly to get in the recommendation to supply credit cards to the Taliban and Al Quaeda. This would stimulate their economy by getting them to buy stuff, but also ruin them financially, as has happened to so many of our citizens.
Wonky Wrote:
rainylady Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:RL, if you have not read Marley and Me, it's a great nonfiction read and will take your mind of everyday troubles. If you like history, you might want to read 1491, the story BEFORE Columbus hit the beach.

If you don't read Marley and Me I may have to come break your legs. It's that good.

I haven't read it.
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
rainylady Wrote:Can you give me a little background on what Marley and Me is about? 1491 sounds good, I will see if it is available on Google Books.

I haven't read it.

Well then your legs deserve to be broken. Wink
Am I bad if I don't care for using the library? It just seems that whatever book I AM willing to get is never in and there's a mile long reservation Dry list. AND their computer isn't really up to date, so when I am trying to get books they aren't even listed in the inventory. But they are there, because you can find them on incidental but not direct searches. WTF?
Prospero Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:And still, you did not list ONE!

Yes, I did! The Children's Hospital, by Chris Adrian. I didn't expect anyone to read the whole post. Laughing But I added the others mostly to get in the recommendation to supply credit cards to the Taliban and Al Quaeda. This would stimulate their economy by getting them to buy stuff, but also ruin them financially, as has happened to so many of our citizens.

Okay, I overstated my case. I did not understand the post. OH HELL, I was just wrong.

Read about a our world mostly underwater? I'd have bad dreams. I still have bad dreams about Bambi's mother. Crying
PonderThis Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:EDIT: Posted before I read you post following.

I haven't read it.

Not Tia's legs! That would be a crime!

Wonky Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I haven't read it.

Not Tia's legs! That would be a crime!

I was just trying to be agreeable. What does it take to fit in around here? Big Grin
Tia Wrote:Am I bad if I don't care for using the library? It just seems that whatever book I AM willing to get is never in and there's a mile long reservation Dry list. AND their computer isn't really up to date, so when I am trying to get books they aren't even listed in the inventory. But they are there, because you can find them on incidental but not direct searches. WTF?

Yea, that is true of recently published books. Older pop fiction is usually easy to find. Marley has been around for a few years now.
Also, Cheap (inexpensive) books at Village Books in Harry and David Center.
And you are right, the computer is not always up to date. I guess we get what we pay for, and our country did want to pay for library service.

Marley is a great read and I hope you find it and enjoy it.
PonderThis Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:Not Tia's legs! That would be a crime!

I was just trying to be agreeable. What does it take to fit in around here? Big Grin

You fit in just fine Ponder. Of course I'm stark raving mad and am posting from a facility with bars on the windows, so you should maybe consider that.
Wonky Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

You fit in just fine Ponder. Of course I'm stark raving mad and am posting from a facility with bars on the windows, so you should maybe consider that.

That's OK. They haven't let me see daylight in decades now.
The reason I don't want to Read MARLEY AND ME is because pets generally make me sad. I like animals to be in the wild. I do not want to get depressed by reading that book.
GoCometsGo Wrote:I am a lover of fiction. Being able to come here to the RVF and read cletus' thoughts and opinions has fulfilled me to the point that I've not had need for any another material. I'm just waiting for him to become available on Kindle. Maybe in time for Christmas! Wink Laughing
Right back at you buddy. I consider your stories of political intrigue some of the best fiction I have read on an Internet forum. Wink
I like TV. It is easier.

I am reading three different travel books though. I am also reading about living overseas.
cletus1 Wrote:I like TV. It is easier.

I am reading three different travel books though. I am also reading about living overseas.

Weeds will almost certainly give you more and better information.

I hear land in Haiti is cheap. That could be home base for traveling to Rwanda, Bangladesh and maybe Cuba.
Wonky Wrote:
blondemom Wrote:The Red Queen, and the White Queen by Phillippa Gregory, also the Foundation serious by Isaac Asimov.

Also re-read 1984, Animal Farm, Slaughter house 5, as well as Fahrenheit 451.

I enjoy reading

Not familiar with the "Queens" books.

I always enjoy going back to Animal Farm, SH 5, Fahrenheit 451. I feel I need reminding from time to time. If you haven't read Lord of the Flies, it would fit in well with the other titles.
The Queen books are about the War of the roses, are you familier with Phillippa Gregory, I love her reading her stuff. When I read Lord of the flies in high school I hated it.

I also have got a chance to re-read Indian in the cupboard, Shiloh, as well as Because of Winn Dixie, those are what the books my 5th grader has read since we got here.