What Read Did You Most Enjoy This Year?
tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:You know what this thread is really about? It is a judgement, It pretends to want to know what you read, but it really wants to know if you read period, and if you do read, do you read books that I consider worthy? Do they measure up to books that I read ? Who gives a shit what you read. If you like comic books have at it. So now lets play who is smarter based on what you read. Wonky you go first. Ask my me a question. Any God damned question. Burp!

What's a henway?

Well, a henway is a roosterway without balls.
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:Screw you and the white horse you rode in on. You may if fact be drunk.

Clete, some of us are working stiffs who did not have benefit of an undergraduate education. My life has been all about books. I've learned a lot, but make no claim to being well read. There are a few here who are well read and bright people.
I just enjoy sharing information about what I've read and enjoyed or learned from, and hearing the same from others.
But on to my question:

Have you ever read fiction that somehow changed the way you see "things". I have. I think sometimes vicarious experiences can be valuable. Wally Lamb's This Much I Know is True effected me in understanding tragedy beyond beyond what hits us personally. The Old Man and The Sea was a lesson learned. Even Elmore Leonard's Hombre, was a lesson about moral values that can be corrupted by real life and there are times when will will lose no matter what we do.

So don't give me a lot of stuff about reading. You are hereby outed because I KNOW YOU TO BE A READER OF SERIOUS AND THOUGHTFUL SUBJECTS. (So, written for those who may not even read it).

Now, have another beer and read your comic book. :roll:

I always felt that Lamb book was overly long, but it changed my view of Shiva and the symbolism of her/him for ever.

Either we are talking about two different books or my memory is REALLY bad.

Hmmmm, it's really the only thing that I took away from that story. I've only read the one Lamb book. I always remember it.
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:I always felt that Lamb book was overly long, but it changed my view of Shiva and the symbolism of her/him for ever.

Either we are talking about two different books or my memory is REALLY bad.

Hmmmm, it's really the only thing that I took away from that story. I've only read the one Lamb book. I always remember it.

You may be right. I read it a long time ago, and yea, it seems a older woman, a grandmother maybe, did introduce the boys to the tradition.
I mostly remember the healthy twin and the awful suffering he endured in trying to help his brother, afflicted with schizophrenia. I felt at times, sucked into the emotional state of that sad brother. I think Lamb is a very good word smith.
Page 226 http://books.google.com/books?id=gXk5wYN...&q&f=false
Wonky Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:Screw you and the white horse you rode in on. You may if fact be drunk.

Clete, some of us are working stiffs who did not have benefit of an undergraduate education. My life has been all about books. I've learned a lot, but make no claim to being well read. There are a few here who are well read and bright people.
I just enjoy sharing information about what I've read and enjoyed or learned from, and hearing the same from others.
But on to my question:

Have you ever read fiction that somehow changed the way you see "things". I have. I think sometimes vicarious experiences can be valuable. Wally Lamb's This Much I Know is True effected me in understanding tragedy beyond beyond what hits us personally. The Old Man and The Sea was a lesson learned. Even Elmore Leonard's Hombre, was a lesson about moral values that can be corrupted by real life and there are times when will will lose no matter what we do.

So don't give me a lot of stuff about reading. You are hereby outed because I KNOW YOU TO BE A READER OF SERIOUS AND THOUGHTFUL SUBJECTS. (So, written for those who may not even read it).

Now, have another beer and read your comic book. :roll:
Ok my friend, I am still waiting for a question. I read less than you, but I might understand as much as you, so I have wasted less time reading boring crap. Those books you mentioned suck. I learn through osmosis. So again why should I read that junk? Razz

Damn! You have converted me. From now on I'm going to spend lots more time stirring my peanut butter jar and seeing how much belly button lint I can accumulate.

And I DID ask you a question: I asked, " Have you ever read fiction that somehow changed..."

I now realize how stupid that is. Enough: Gotta go stir the peanut butter.
Ah geez, I normally read your posts completely and find the peanut butter between the slices. Sorry, yes I have read books of fiction that have changed me. In fact, lets just touch on John Steinbeck's books. I am thinking Grapes of Wrath here and reading that work of fiction changed my thinking in a significant way.
cletus1 Wrote:You know what this thread is really about? It is a judgement, It pretends to want to know what you read, but it really wants to know if you read period, and if you do read, do you read books that I consider worthy? Do they measure up to books that I read ? Who gives a shit what you read. If you like comic books have at it. So now lets play who is smarter based on what you read. Wonky you go first. Ask my me a question. Any God damned question. Burp!

Piss off, Severus, or I'll use one of the unforgiveable curses on you! :x
Quote:

I loved the old man and the sea. I've read it several times. I never read Hombre I'm sure the book is much better in the movie as that is the norm.
I did enjoy the film and for the most part anything Paul Newman was involved in. The movie has one part in particular and maybe I'm sick but it's my favorite.

An one point Richard Boone had Newman and the others trapped in an old mine building. Boone called a truce and white flag in hand climbed up the hill to strike a deal. When the negotiations were over The half breed looked at Boone and said "Hey. I got a question. How are you planning to get back down that hill"? You could immediately see the realization in Boone's face that this half breed didn't give a damn about white flags.

Aw shucks , I guess you had to be there. Big Grin
Wonky Wrote:
rainylady Wrote:Wonky,

I ordered 1491 from the library nearby. Have to wait for it to be transferred. It is a big book so I imagine it might take a week for me to read it in the winter. Longer in the summer. The Google Books preview I got of it I liked.

Can you give me the general drift of the book?

RL

I could. But you would miss out on a learning experience. I assume you use a search engine (Google, Yahoo, etc). It's as easy as typing in 1491 + Book in the search box.

Wonky,

I am half way through the book. Big book. I have to say the author is quite objective with the views and doesn't say for sure what is right. He goes through the different parts of the Americas and talks about the various cultures. The part about how they got here is interesting. The CLOVIS tool. I never new about the ice sheets and the possible multiple migrations. I do not believe the Indians killed off all the PREHISTORIC ANIMALS. He never offers a solution to what happens to the prehistoric animals. And I did not know that before the Europeans arrived the Indians had already died off quite a bit from disease and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from. He does say that Indians had more parasites than bacteria in there culture until Europeans came.

RL
rainylady Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

I ordered 1491 from the library nearby. Have to wait for it to be transferred. It is a big book so I imagine it might take a week for me to read it in the winter. Longer in the summer. The Google Books preview I got of it I liked.

Can you give me the general drift of the book?

RL

I could. But you would miss out on a learning experience. I assume you use a search engine (Google, Yahoo, etc). It's as easy as typing in 1491 + Book in the search box.

Wonky,

I am half way through the book. Big book. I have to say the author is quite objective with the views and doesn't say for sure what is right. He goes through the different parts of the Americas and talks about the various cultures. The part about how they got here is interesting. The CLOVIS tool. I never new about the ice sheets and the possible multiple migrations. I do not believe the Indians killed off all the PREHISTORIC ANIMALS. Surely the author didn't say that He never offers a solution to what happens to the prehistoric animals. And I did not know that before the Europeans arrived the Indians had already died off quite a bit from disease and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from. He does say that Indians had more parasites than bacteria in there culture until Europeans came.

RL

I've never read this book but I've read quite a bit from magazines and countless TV programs.I'm actually quite amazed that you didn't know about the ice that used to cover much of America or when. YesThis ice land bridge is OFTEN cited as how people and even some animals Migrated to this country.
I have never heard anyone say the Indians ( indigenous people) killed off any animals other than the Mammoth and that's just a theory.

Quote: He never offers a solution to what happens to the prehistoric animals.

I think the most widely held belief is that an asteroid struck the earth and the resulting climate change doomed the Large cold blooded animals.IF that's what you are talking about.

Quote:And I did not know that before And I did not know that before the Europeans arrived the Indians had already died off quite a bit from disease and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from.and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from.

? The disease came from Europeans, it decimated the Indians AFTER the Europeans arrived. I believe it was mostly smallpox and Cholera. I know it was devastating to the Comanche.

Unless I'm mistaken The Clovis spearhead was originally developed in Europe and the theory is that since the same spear point was found here later that it's proof of migration from Europe to North America
But haven't they found some human artifacts now that predate the land bridge migration idea by a huge margin?
Tia Wrote:But haven't they found some human artifacts now that predate the land bridge migration idea by a huge margin?

From what I've read so far he doesn't mention that. But I am only half way through the book. He does state finding Skeletons that looked like Australian Aborigines (I think it was in Peru or Brazil).
tvguy Wrote:
rainylady Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:I could. But you would miss out on a learning experience. I assume you use a search engine (Google, Yahoo, etc). It's as easy as typing in 1491 + Book in the search box.

Wonky,

I am half way through the book. Big book. I have to say the author is quite objective with the views and doesn't say for sure what is right. He goes through the different parts of the Americas and talks about the various cultures. The part about how they got here is interesting. The CLOVIS tool. I never new about the ice sheets and the possible multiple migrations. I do not believe the Indians killed off all the PREHISTORIC ANIMALS. Surely the author didn't say that He never offers a solution to what happens to the prehistoric animals. And I did not know that before the Europeans arrived the Indians had already died off quite a bit from disease and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from. He does say that Indians had more parasites than bacteria in there culture until Europeans came.

RL

I've never read this book but I've read quite a bit from magazines and countless TV programs.I'm actually quite amazed that you didn't know about the ice that used to cover much of America or when. YesThis ice land bridge is OFTEN cited as how people and even some animals Migrated to this country.
I have never heard anyone say the Indians ( indigenous people) killed off any animals other than the Mammoth and that's just a theory.

I think the most widely held belief is that an asteroid struck the earth and the resulting climate change doomed the Large cold blooded animals.IF that's what you are talking about.

Quote:And I did not know that before And I did not know that before the Europeans arrived the Indians had already died off quite a bit from disease and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from.and that was how the Europeans conquered. He doesn't offer a definite conclusion on where the disease comes from.

? The disease came from Europeans, it decimated the Indians AFTER the Europeans arrived. I believe it was mostly smallpox and Cholera. I know it was devastating to the Comanche.

Unless I'm mistaken The Clovis spearhead was originally developed in Europe and the theory is that since the same spear point was found here later that it's proof of migration from Europe to North America

He states that when the Europeans came the Indians were already dying off and that it is possible some sick people from the Caribbean arrived to start that. He states that in Spanish accounts (especially along New England) that the villages had lots of dying people when they arrived. He say's that the Spanish did not arrive in large enough numbers to kill them off in warfare so it had to be disease.
Tia Wrote:But haven't they found some human artifacts now that predate the land bridge migration idea by a huge margin?

Yes but that still doesn't mean the the land bridge wasn't a big factor in migrations from the Europe.
Quote:He states that when the Europeans came the Indians were already dying off and that it is possible some sick people from the Caribbean arrived to start that. He states that in Spanish accounts (especially along New England) that the villages had lots of dying people when they arrived. He say's that the Spanish did not arrive in large enough numbers to kill them off in warfare so it had to be disease.

OK so the Spanish didn't bring the disease first,I think it was still sailors and explorers who brought it just like Hawaii.
Tia Wrote:Am I bad if I don't care for using the library? It just seems that whatever book I AM willing to get is never in and there's a mile long reservation Dry list. AND their computer isn't really up to date, so when I am trying to get books they aren't even listed in the inventory. But they are there, because you can find them on incidental but not direct searches. WTF?

I never use the library. I support it and am view it as a necessity in our town but, well, the books are icky. One book I took out had silverfish in it. Sorry, but I don't do silverfish. I realize it's because the books don't get replaced often if they are old and that's a function of finances. There is also the question of availability and I don't have patience for that. I also don't like being under the gun for returning a book. I like looking at them piling up on my shelves. Surprisedops:
Our library in CT was one to dream about and I was there all the time with my kids. It probably spoiled me. So, I get all my books off Amazon or Alibris. Alibris is great and I just got a pile from them. They are used but in great condition, always.

So, no, don't feel bad about not using the library.

Oh, Cletey, that's no fun. I love to know what other people are reading. If it's magazines only then, well, so what? Enjoy! Being able to read is a gift. Enjoying it is an even bigger gift. I'm not a book snob. To me, whatever someone reads which gives them pleasure is worth it. There are people who rave about some books that I couldn't fathom for the life of me. Other classics that I loved (like "Wuthering Heights") make other people break out in hives. To each, his own.

Tia, I just finished, "The School of Essential Ingredients" by Erica Bauermeister. It is a fluffy book but surprisingly good. I quite liked it and I'm not a big fluff reader.

Next up: "West with the Night" by Beryl Markham.

What if we had a forum book group? I mean where we could meet up once a month? Do we all live too far away from each other? Would an online book group work?
do we get to bring wine beer and snacks? I'm in. Cool Razz
bbqboy Wrote:do we get to bring wine beer and snacks? I'm in. Cool Razz

So, we meet online and discuss books PUI?

I love your idea, TM, I just wonder if I would be able to keep up. I'm in. (with online) Suggest one. Then you have to give me time to obtain it and we can start. And BBQ has to too. The 1491 book got some commentary, so I am sure we can do this too. Sounds like RL might be up for it also.
rainylady Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

RL

He states that when the Europeans came the Indians were already dying off and that it is possible some sick people from the Caribbean arrived to start that. He states that in Spanish accounts (especially along New England) that the villages had lots of dying people when they arrived. He say's that the Spanish did not arrive in large enough numbers to kill them off in warfare so it had to be disease.

Well, I haven't read it, but it sounds as if the sickness was definitely introduced. How is just not certain.
I did forget a couple of authors I forgot to mention, Beatrice Small ure trashy romance, great for just a read doesn't require any thought. Also I have been reading Kathleen E Woodiwiss both this people write books I like to read just for the pleasure of reading