What Read Did You Most Enjoy This Year?
Here we are. December already and I still haven't finished all the potato salad from the 4th of July.

Another year coming to a close. (Unless the Republicans in Congress won't allow it).

So I'm wondering about the book I most enjoyed this year. Because I can't remember where the fridge is, it will no doubt be something recent. "Most Enjoyed" is my criteria here.

So. Damn, going to have to think about it. Should have done that before I started this topic, you say. Well yea, and I should have bought INTEL at 12.

So, you first. Fiction, nonfiction, whatever. Maybe a cook book.

Have at it.
Lots of text books. Working on one called the God of small animals. I think over the summer I read the Kite runner, and a Thousand Splendid Suns.
So many!

The Children's Hospital, by Chris Adrian.

The Salander books, by Stig Larssen.

The historical novels about Genghis Khan by Conn Igguldsen. After reading them I sent them to my 11-year-old grandson, whose mother (born in Korea) claims he is descended from Genghis. Always nice to read news about your ancestors.

By the same author, the novels about Julius Caesar, and as a companion, Rubicon, Tom Holland's historical study on the last decades of the Roman republic. Those folks were in a similar situation to us. They started out by ejecting their king and setting up a republican government with all sorts of safeguards against one-man rule and tyranny. After a few hundred years they had become a superpower, and were cordially hated by the rest of the civilized world. Their suppression of effective governments in the countries they had conquered, coupled with their refusal to administer them themselves, led to widespread disorder, especially piracy, the BC equivalent of international Islamic terrorism. They dealt with this by sending out their best general, Pompey, with a huge army and navy and a commission to wipe them all out. This he did, but instead of exterminating them, he gave them land (presumably far from Italy) and turned them into farmers, which seems to have eliminated the problem. I wonder if we could get the same result by issuing credit cards to Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Cool
Tia Wrote:Lots of text books. Working on one called the God of small animals. I think over the summer I read the Kite runner, and a Thousand Splendid Suns.

...but, is there ONE that really stands out?

I think I'll have to choose between:

Team of Rivals
The Coldest Winter
Gates of Fire
(not printed this year: Finally got around to it).

So...Gates of Fire. I have a soft spot for fiction.

Probably change my mind later. But, this will stand as my choice.
I have read many specification books on weapons. Does that count?
Prospero Wrote:So many!

The Children's Hospital, by Chris Adrian.

The Salander books, by Stig Larssen.

The historical novels about Genghis Khan by Conn Igguldsen. After reading them I sent them to my 11-year-old grandson, whose mother (born in Korea) claims he is descended from Genghis. Always nice to read news about your ancestors.

By the same author, the novels about Julius Caesar, and as a companion, Rubicon, Tom Holland's historical study on the last decades of the Roman republic. Those folks were in a similar situation to us. They started out by ejecting their king and setting up a republican government with all sorts of safeguards against one-man rule and tyranny. After a few hundred years they had become a superpower, and were cordially hated by the rest of the civilized world. Their suppression of effective governments in the countries they had conquered, coupled with their refusal to administer them themselves, led to widespread disorder, especially piracy, the BC equivalent of international Islamic terrorism. They dealt with this by sending out their best general, Pompey, with a huge army and navy and a commission to wipe them all out. This he did, but instead of exterminating them, he gave them land (presumably far from Italy) and turned them into farmers, which seems to have eliminated the problem. I wonder if we could get the same result by issuing credit cards to Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Cool

Okay, NOW we know why you don't post in the thousands. You are wasting all your time reading obscure titles by little know authors. Not one Stephen King book mentioned. You may not even be an American. Razz
I tried The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the Salander series. My wife has now read them and raves about the writing. I'm sure it's true: All the critics agree. Somehow, I found the "Dragon Tattoo" kind of tedious. Salander I know. (Worst pun of the year?)
I admit I have never read Conn Igguldsen. Nor would I read an author with a name like that fearing I might get a rash or something.
I will someday get around to reading about the Rubicon. Until last week I thought it was just a model of a four wheel drive Jeep.
But, I worry about you. How about some mind candy from time to time? Elmore Leonard, Walter Mosley, John Irving, Richard Russo, or Newt Grindrich. You know: Lies for fun and profit.

Really: Admire your tenacity in staying in the chair that long. I read a bit, but in reading your posts over time I know you are "well read" in the true sense of that phrase. Now that we understand, we will use you as a The Reference Desk.

And still, you did not list ONE!
Wonky Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Lots of text books. Working on one called the God of small animals. I think over the summer I read the Kite runner, and a Thousand Splendid Suns.

Team of Rivals
The Coldest Winter
Gates of Fire

Well, no, I guess not, since I haven't really been able to read much....I did like the two summer books a lot though. I seem to have a bit more adult ADHD than I ever did previously and have more trouble sitting down for long reads now. Sad
Tia Wrote:
Wonky Wrote:

Team of Rivals
The Coldest Winter
Gates of Fire

menopause? Laughing

Well, no, I guess not, since I haven't really been able to read much....I did like the two summer books a lot though. I seem to have a bit more adult ADHD than I ever did previously and have more trouble sitting down for long reads now. Sad
orygunluvr Wrote:I have read many specification books on weapons. Does that count?

Damn straight!
It's reading.
The back of cereal boxes counts.
All books count double: Don't make no never mind what kind. Trash just as many points as that stuff Prospero reads. (I think Pros would read less if could catch a ball Razz )

And I confess there is something very satisfying in reading tech stuff. I have read enough woodworking books to teach a class. I can't do it, 'cause I'm to clumsy to make babies, but I love reading about it. Confession: I also really like tool catalogs: Can sit with them for hours dreaming about having enough money to own all kinds of tools I can't even use effectively.
I would have to say the "The Girl With..." by Stieg Larsson series was my favorite read of the year. I also really enjoyed, "What is the What" by Valentino Achak about the lost boys of the Sudan.

For fluffy fun, I like anything written by Lincoln Childs and Douglas Preston (yeah, I know, I know). Cool
I'm re-reading my Burns again. I keep the latest copy of Fine Woodworking in the john. Wonky, I had all those tools you drool over. I sold them on ebay and now, I work with sixties Stanley stuff in the blue plastic editions.
Wonky Wrote:
orygunluvr Wrote:I have read many specification books on weapons. Does that count?

Damn straight!
It's reading.
The back of cereal boxes counts.
All books count double: Don't make no never mind what kind. Trash just as many points as that stuff Prospero reads. (I think Pros would read less if could catch a ball Razz )

And I confess there is something very satisfying in reading tech stuff. I have read enough woodworking books to teach a class. I can't do it, 'cause I'm to clumsy to make babies, but I love reading about it. Confession: I also really like tool catalogs: Can sit with them for hours dreaming about having enough money to own all kinds of tools I can't even use effectively.

You don't read the back of the milk carton just to make sure you're not lost do you?

I read all kinds of stuff. Tech, fiction, nonfiction, work related, it just depends on if something catches my eye. I have monthly subscriptions to off road magazines, used to also have surfer magazine, outdoor gear as well as gun magazines. We have books on nutrition, homeopathic medicine, even a medical book my grandma had from around the 20s.
I am a lover of fiction. Being able to come here to the RVF and read cletus' thoughts and opinions has fulfilled me to the point that I've not had need for any another material. I'm just waiting for him to become available on Kindle. Maybe in time for Christmas! Wink Laughing
GoCometsGo Wrote:I am a lover of fiction. Being able to come here to the RVF and read cletus' thoughts and opinions has fulfilled me to the point that I've not had need for any another material. I'm just waiting for him to become available on Kindle. Maybe in time for Christmas! Wink Laughing

1st, I gotta say I love Clete like a brother.

2nd, I gotta say that was dead on funny! Laughing
I think I read three books.

"Landlording", another book on landlording, and George Bush's book.

The landlording books were simply informative and the Bush book was rather repetitive and redundant.

I have been going through a lot of changes and haven't has enough time to read.

I like to read the GOOGLE BOOKS website but they don't include the ENTIRE BOOK. If you have any recommendations of NON-FICTION please PM me or post it in response here.
Okay, people, listen up!
I'm gonna have to call you out for a 4 AM boot camp session.

ONE book! That was the suggestion.
But, If you had to include more, at least list 'em.
O/Lover, we would like to know the title of at least one, or we are going to have to agree with Ponder who says the only thing you read is Hustler Magazine. Big Grin

Tia, Darlin': So sorry this has been such a hectic year for you! I know the joy you find in reading, and hope the coming year allows you more time for itb

T/Mom...I admit to not being familiar with the "fun" authors you posted. I could google it, but still as lazy today as yesterday. How about giving us a clue: Might prompt Que into reading...he likes girl stuff. Laughing

And, I posted my list in haste. Because I seldom keep fiction (Have deal with Salvation Army...they don't charge me to drop them off) I don't remember what I've read unless it really moved me in some way. And even nonfiction, I pass on unless it's something special. But, we are having the inside of the house painted, and culling our books. Really hard to decide what to keep. The wonder of the internet is that if I toss one I may want later, I can get a used copy cheaply online.

Damn: Gotta learn to write shorter posts. (Just be glad you are not stuck in a coffee shop with me: I once held court for 18 hours on the importance of automatic milkers on dairy farms).
The Red Queen, and the White Queen by Phillippa Gregory, also the Foundation serious by Isaac Asimov.

Also re-read 1984, Animal Farm, Slaughter house 5, as well as Fahrenheit 451.

I enjoy reading
rainylady Wrote:I think I read three books.

"Landlording", another book on landlording, and George Bush's book.

The landlording books were simply informative and the Bush book was rather repetitive and redundant.

I have been going through a lot of changes and haven't has enough time to read.

I like to read the GOOGLE BOOKS website but they don't include the ENTIRE BOOK. If you have any recommendations of NON-FICTION please PM me or post it in response here.

RL, if you have not read Marley and Me, it's a great nonfiction read and will take your mind of everyday troubles. If you like history, you might want to read 1491, the story BEFORE Columbus hit the beach.
blondemom Wrote:The Red Queen, and the White Queen by Phillippa Gregory, also the Foundation serious by Isaac Asimov.

Also re-read 1984, Animal Farm, Slaughter house 5, as well as Fahrenheit 451.

I enjoy reading

Not familiar with the "Queens" books.

I always enjoy going back to Animal Farm, SH 5, Fahrenheit 451. I feel I need reminding from time to time. If you haven't read Lord of the Flies, it would fit in well with the other titles.
2010 #1 read was Wuthering Heights. "Pride And Prejudice And Zombies" comes in second with "Trust No One" by Gregg Hurwitz receiving an honorable mention.