NYC terror suspect was building test bomb
This is a big deal, right - they caught someone wanting to make bombs.

Except, look at the bomb he was supposedly making - a pipe bomb made with the scrapings from match heads! This doesn't sound like a very sophisticated bomb maker, or much of a "bomb" either to me. Is it only me that was making these when we were kids? I guess I was a terrorist and never knew it. Smiling http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45380277/ns/...-security/

[Image: _56831896_013373556-1.jpg]

Excerpt: "An al-Qaida sympathizer was on the verge of putting his terror plans into action when New York City police swooped in to arrest him over the weekend, WNBC investigative reporter Jonathan Dienst told the TODAY show on Monday.

Jose Pimentel told police in a video statement after his arrest that he had been about one hour away from completing a test bomb when he was arrested Saturday, Dienst reported.

Pimentel was accused of plotting to bomb police and post offices in New York City as well as U.S. troops returning home.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced at a news conference Sunday the arrest of Pimentel, "a 27-year-old al-Qaida sympathizer" who the mayor said was motivated by terrorist propaganda and resentment of U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said police had to move quickly to arrest Pimentel on Saturday because he was ready to carry out his plan.

"We had to act quickly yesterday because he was in fact putting this bomb together. He was drilling holes and it would have been not appropriate for us to let him walk out the door with that bomb," Kelly said..."

[Image: 111120-pimentel-hmed-5p.grid-5x2.JPG]
This New York Police photo, displayed at Mayor Michael Bloomberg's news conference, Nov. 20, shows Jose Pimentel inside his apartment, taking material off matches to build a pipe bomb, according to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.
When we were kids, we cut of 10,000 match heads and put them in a small 8 oz plastic bottle.
It was kind of like a volcano going off. shooting little fire balls four feet into the air., lots of smoke.
I was making little aluminum foil rockets with match heats for propellant. They flew, but it wasn't all that exciting and they didn't go that far.
Things really picked up for us has kids, when we discovered Calcium Carbonate.
Blowing up plastic bottles? I went directly to black powder, and then for some reason it got boring after that. Smiling
We did go and buy salt peter from the drug store a couple times, mixed it with sugar.

I remember the pharmacist asking us what we anted the salt peter for?.... different times back then.
I thought the FBI said that he wouldn't have had the knowledge without the aid of an undercover NYC policeman?
(11-21-2011, 09:19 AM)chuck white Wrote: When we were kids, we cut of 10,000 match heads and put them in a small 8 oz plastic bottle.
It was kind of like a volcano going off. shooting little fire balls four feet into the air., lots of smoke.
I took the black power out of bottel rockets and made things that went boom. We had a metal garbage can full of water I dropped on into. The whole side of the house was wet and the can split in two. Sounds to me like this is too close to Authority manufactured wanna be terrorist for show.

Now, I want to take a 1 liter Pepsi bottle and fill it with water put on the cap and place in a microwave for 1 hour,
I believe you could superheat the water and causing a flash boil.
I suspect the plastic the bottle is made of would melt at not much above 220 degrees, and I don't want to be around exploding boilers, either. Smiling

I'm sure you've heard the stories of someone microwaving a bowl of salted beans, walking over to check on them wearing a pair of headphones listening to music, and the beans erupt into flames. That story drives a lot of people to thinking there must be an energy efficient way of generating hydrogen using resonance.
I had a super heated water accident that peeled the skin off my inner arm. Man that hurt and they had to keep injecting me with morphine or something over an over. I had to keep ripping the wound open at the elbow by straightening my arm or I would have had to go to PT. In other words play with explosives , but not super heated water.
(11-21-2011, 08:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I suspect the plastic the bottle is made of would melt at not much above 220 degrees, and I don't want to be around exploding boilers, either. Smiling

I'm sure you've heard the stories of someone microwaving a bowl of salted beans, walking over to check on them wearing a pair of headphones listening to music, and the beans erupt into flames. That story drives a lot of people to thinking there must be an energy efficient way of generating hydrogen using resonance.

I read the bursting strength on poly bottles was 10,000 PSI
with no air in the bottle The water can't go from liquid to gas. When the bottle melts this should trigger a flash evaporation.
Could be a real window popper.
Making nitro sounds like more fun.
Nitro in a microwave, now were talking.
No Nitro in an old bathtub away from buildings in an ice bath . Then add a little aluminum powder . My HS chem teacher showed us the difference between aluminzed and regular on a big steel cylinder. He put drops on and then hit it with a hammer. Pretty stabel stuff actually.