Man Saves His Goat by Killing a Cougar
I don't see any reason whatsoever that wildlife needs "managed", other than making sure mankind doesn't screw up their environment any more. I'm totally OK with letting wildlife manage itself, same as it always did before we came along, and will continue after we're gone too if we don't take them all down with us.
(11-26-2011, 02:03 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I don't see any reason whatsoever that wildlife needs "managed", other than making sure mankind doesn't screw up their environment any more. I'm totally OK with letting wildlife manage itself, same as it always did before we came along, and will continue after we're gone too if we don't take them all down with us.

To think and to proclaim at this point in time that our wildlife can "manage itself" is an admission of complete ignorance on the subject.
Ponder has a Pension for being too stubborn to learn or to face facts whenever it goes against his own absurd fairytale dreams of the way things should be.
Well, sure, we need to stop poachers, if you want to call that wildlife management. But to think wildlife needs to be "managed" (always a euphemism for us killing them), that's delusional and arrogant on your part. Only to the extent we've already fucked up their habitat or populations do wildlife need "managed" by humans. It's time we learned to get along with them rather than vice versa.
(11-26-2011, 02:15 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, sure, we need to stop poachers, if you want to call that wildlife management. But to think wildlife needs to be "managed" (always a euphemism for us killing them), that's delusional and arrogant on your part. Only to the extent we've already fucked up their habitat or populations do wildlife need "managed" by humans. It's time we learned to get along with them rather than vice versa.

Yes Ponder we've already fucked up their habitat or populations and their migrations.

That's why we need to manage our wildlife and constantly spend money on habitat reconstruction.
Look around dude, our country is criss crossed with roads and fences and there are more every day. Our wildlife CAN'T just be left alone to be a natural ecosystem like it once was. Hunting and fishing is a source of income that protects our wildlife. Hell just shooting a gun at targets generates a hell of a lot of cash used for the benefit of our wildlife.

Your simplistic idea that we just leave wildlife alone and that all we need to do is learn to get along is absurd.
Do yourself a favor and post about something that you actually have some knowledge about.

I saw a bear at the fenceline last week up on the road, and someone told me yesterday bear shit was up in my driveway. I saw elk shit in the lower field yesterday too, along with frequent deer sightings. A flock of turkeys comes through regularly. A mountain lion was seen recently too, and all the smaller critters like skunks, chipmunks, raccoons, etc. Everything seems to be going fine as long as we can keep those damn hunters out. Smiling
Anyone that really believes we can, now that we have intervened into their world as we have, simply stop managing our wildlife is delusional.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJzDDglqYyNHK4pURbfmW...4dZGKHRr0w]
I use to be nervous when in the morning , before sunrise, I would find my way to the car in the dark, wondering if a cougar was stalking me.
Then as I drove down the road, I would see small children waiting in the dark for the bus. I knew The cougar would more likely be stocking them. Made me feel a little more secure.
I consider it chumming.