1/4 of All Burgers Tainted With Drug-Resistant Bacteria
My New Year resolution is going to HAVE to be the cessation of consuming factory-farmed meat. This will most likely mean becoming mostly vegetarian, due to the expense of pure meat on the shelf and the lack of pure meat at restaurants.
Yes, this is from MotherJones, but for the doubting Thomases I have included urls to the actual study Smiling:

Responding to the same FDA cave-in to the meat industry I flagged earlier today, Mark Bittman points to a damning study I missed when it came out in April.

In it
(press release; full text), researchers gathered 136 samples of beef, chicken, pork, and turkey from supermarkets in five US cities and tested them for staph aureus, a common food-poisoning bacteria that causes everything from from minor skin infections to serious diseases like pneumonia, endocarditis and sepsis.

The results: 47 percent of the samples contained the staph; and of those, fully half were resistant to at least three classes of antibiotics. This suggests that a quarter of the meat in US supermarket shelves are tainted with multi-drug-resistant strains of this potentially deadly pathogen.
That may seem jaw-dropping, but it shouldn't. The FDA itself routinely checks supermarket meat samples for resistant pathogens—and routinely finds them. Scroll around the FDA's National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS) site, and I dare you to ever touch factory-farmed meat again. For example, did you see that more than 70 percent of the salmonella the agency found in ground turkey samples in 2007 was resistant to the common antibiotic tetracycline?

But NARMS only tests for four pathogen types: E. coli, salmonella, campylobacter, and enterococcus. This latest study suggests that if the FDA looked, it would find that are meat supply is commonly laced with resistant strains of other microbes, too.

And of course, infected to meat isn't the only way the public can be exposed to resistant disease strains. Research has also shown that flies and cockroaches can carry them from factory farms to surroundings.

All of which makes the FDA's latest cave-in on farm antibiotics not only inexcusable, but also really, really gross.

http://motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2011...-superbugs
You may be right, maybe not. If you believe all of what is out there you can't eat anything.

Mother Jones?
http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/ea...1.full.pdf
A Day on the Job at the Spam Factory (more Mother Jones):

On the cut-and-kill floor of Quality Pork Processors Inc. in Austin, Minnesota, the wind always blows. From the open doors at the docks where drivers unload massive trailers of screeching pigs, through to the "warm room" where the hogs are butchered, to the plastic-draped breezeway where the parts are handed over to Hormel for packaging, the air gusts and swirls, whistling through the plant like the current in a canyon. In the first week of December 2006, Matthew Garcia felt feverish and chilled on the blustery production floor. He fought stabbing back pains and nausea, but he figured it was just the flu—and he was determined to tough it out.

Garcia had gotten on at QPP only 12 weeks before and had been stuck with one of the worst spots on the line: running a device known simply as the "brain machine"—the last stop on a conveyor line snaking down the middle of a J-shaped bench [DC] called the "head table." Every hour, more than 1,300 severed pork heads go sliding along the belt. Workers slice off the ears, clip the snouts, chisel the cheek meat. They scoop out the eyes, carve out the tongue, and scrape the palate meat from the roofs of mouths. Because, famously, all parts of a pig are edible ("everything but the squeal," wisdom goes), nothing is wasted. A woman next to Garcia would carve meat off the back of each head before letting the denuded skull slide down the conveyor and through an opening in a plexiglass shield.

On the other side, Garcia inserted the metal nozzle of a 90-pounds-per-square-inch compressed-air hose and blasted the pigs' brains into a pink slurry. One head every three seconds. A high-pressure burst, a fine rosy mist, and the slosh of brains slipping through a drain hole into a catch bucket. (Some workers say the goo looked like Pepto-Bismol; others describe it as more like a lumpy strawberry milkshake.) When the 10-pound barrel was filled, another worker would come to take the brains for shipping to Asia, where they are used as a thickener in stir-fry. Most days that fall, production was so fast that the air never cleared between blasts, and the mist would slick workers at the head table in a grisly mix of brains and blood and grease.

The entire article:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/...ns-disease
Minnesota Department of Health Acute Disease Investigation into Risk Factors for Progressive Inflammatory Neuropathy Among Swine Abattoir Workers in the U.S.:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/...irpin.html
You can dig that stuff up all day long honey beeSmiling. It's still a crap shoot as to what to believe.
So does this mean , If I eat a hamburger, I'll have to take more drugs to get high?
(12-29-2011, 02:47 PM)chuck white Wrote: So does this mean , If I eat a hamburger, I'll have to take more drugs to get high?

No it means there's a roughly 25 percent chance you'll consume a potentially fatal bacteria that doesn't respond to commonly prescribed drugs.

I worry for health our children and grandchild­ren who now ingest GMO's, corn syrup, artificial flavouring, and chemicals by the pounds daily in the foods they're eating.

So if you don't eat organic at least eat fresh, locally grown produce, cows, pigs and chickens; the life you save may be your own.

(12-29-2011, 08:07 PM)Leonard Wrote: No it means there's a roughly 25 percent chance you'll consume a potentially fatal bacteria that doesn't respond to commonly prescribed drugs.

I worry for health our children and grandchild­ren who now ingest GMO's, corn syrup, artificial flavouring, and chemicals by the pounds daily in the foods they're eating.

So if you don't eat organic at least eat fresh, locally grown produce, cows, pigs and chickens; the life you save may be your own.

I'm sorry, this is NOT how food should be handled:

On the other side, Garcia inserted the metal nozzle of a 90-pounds-per-square-inch compressed-air hose and blasted the pigs' brains into a pink slurry. One head every three seconds. A high-pressure burst, a fine rosy mist, and the slosh of brains slipping through a drain hole into a catch bucket. (Some workers say the goo looked like Pepto-Bismol; others describe it as more like a lumpy strawberry milkshake.) When the 10-pound barrel was filled, another worker would come to take the brains for shipping to Asia, where they are used as a thickener in stir-fry. Most days that fall, production was so fast that the air never cleared between blasts, and the mist would slick workers at the head table in a grisly mix of brains and blood and grease.
Funny how all these things can be as bad as all these claims when Americans live longer than now then they ever have before.
I haven't seen anyone say whether proper cooking destroys this stuff or not either.
(12-30-2011, 12:36 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I haven't seen anyone say whether proper cooking destroys this stuff or not either.

I NEVER eat the 1/4, always eat from the 3/4.