OR-7 heads into California -- the first wolf to return to the Golden State since 1924
Larry's gonna have to get an out of state tag now: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...ia_--.html

Exerpt: "Oregon's footloose young gray wolf, OR-7, has now gone where all celebrities eventually seem to wind up -- California.

The 2 1/2 -year-old male wolf crossed the border into Siskiyou County, Calif., late Wednesday, said Michelle Dennehy, spokeswoman for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

OR-7 is believed to be the first wolf to return to the Golden State in almost 90 years. He became a worldwide cause celebre when he marched 730 miles across Oregon starting in September and wound up near Crater Lake.

California Department of Fish and Game Director Charlton H. Bonham called OR-7's appearance an historic event -- "whether one is for it or against it."

"If the gray wolf does establish a population in California, there will be much more work to do here," Bonham said.

The last confirmed gray wolf in California was killed in Lassen County in 1924, according to California state biologists. Wolves that return to California are protected under the Federal Endangered Species Act, but, unlike Oregon, California has no wolf management plan or any established program to reintroduce wolves.

The California department expects to begin keeping people abreast of OR-7's wanderings and those of wolves in general across the West on its website.

OR-7 began his walkabout on Sept. 10, abandoning the Imnaha pack near the Wallowa County town of Joseph in northeastern Oregon in search of love and a place to start a new wolf pack. Biologists who studied his tracks say he's apparently been looking for love in all the wrong places, because he's traveling alone.

The most recent tracking data puts OR-7's location a few miles south of the Oregon-California boundary, Dennehy said. Biologists won't attempt to predict his next move, which could include a return to Oregon, she said.

OR-7 has been elusive during his long trek, keeping away from people, and no photographs of him exist. Biologists fitted him with a GPS collar last February that periodically transmits his location.

He's now being tracked by the California Department of Fish and Game, she said.

OR-7, known by the designation bestowed by Oregon state biologists, switched territory just as the environmental group Oregon Wild was about to announce the winner of its renaming contest.

"For now, OR-7 can know that he's always got a place to call home in Oregon," the group's Rob Klavins said."
I dont think OR-7 can possibly start a population unless we break into Howling Acres and grab him a date. Who's with me? Aaaaaaahhhhh!
German shepherds await his arrival.

[Image: GermanSheppardGwenandFriend.JPG]
Wolves are so harmless.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVyjRqmTU5dg%26sns%3Dfb&h=kAQH6llGIAQExW45LKVTmHgIhz2qGUNpsooLq5rtkrkV4dA[/video]
Only humans should be able to eat elk meat.
The fact is, they WILL decimate the deer and elk herds far beyond the damage already running rampant from cougars. And when the deer and elk are virtually gone? YOU will blame ME.

That's the problem with with your limited reasoning skills.
(02-07-2012, 06:38 AM)Larry Wrote: Wolves are so harmless.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%...5rtkrkV4dA

Nature is cruel when seen up close.

I'm wondering Larry, if you feel wolves "have any place" in the wilds of the northwest? You are much more informed than most (certainly more than I) about the "balance" in wildlife. For instance, are they considered vermin, not providing any real positive good?

I admit to being too lazy to really look into the issue.
(02-07-2012, 06:45 AM)Larry Wrote: The fact is, they WILL decimate the deer and elk herds far beyond the damage already running rampant from cougars. And when the deer and elk are virtually gone? YOU will blame ME.

I just don't understand how elk were ever able to get by until the humans came along. Thank God for hunters, or we would have no elk. Eek!
(02-07-2012, 06:48 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 06:45 AM)Larry Wrote: The fact is, they WILL decimate the deer and elk herds far beyond the damage already running rampant from cougars. And when the deer and elk are virtually gone? YOU will blame ME.

I just don't understand how elk were ever able to get by until the humans came along. Thank God for hunters, or we would have no elk. Eek!

Wow. Add a little gasoline to a fire no one needs. You know full well Larry is a hunter. He is but one of many.
The wild wolf argument dates back a long way. I admit I don't a lot about the details of it.
My guess is that you don't either. But it you have read a lot about it, maybe you could share it.

Larry can handle the gasoline.
(02-07-2012, 07:00 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Larry can handle the gasoline.

I don't recall Larry saying anything about gasoline. I could go back and check, but not really that interested.

You just mentioned the gasoline 2 posts back! "Wow. Add a little gasoline to a fire no one needs."

The fact is only about 4 or 5% of the U.S. population above age 15 buys a hunting license, versus the wildlife belongs to all of us hunters and non hunters alike, and wolves have just as much right to exist in this world as elk do. It's particularly ridiculous that Larry thinks elk are OK for him to kill and eat, using his rifle, but wolves aren't allowed to do that very same thing using only their bare muscles and teeth (let's see Larry try that one, now there's a hunt I'd be in favor of!). Plus wolves can't exist without killing other creatures, versus Larry who has many other options. Plus, there are only so many elk in the world, and far more hunters. Larry is going to have to learn how to share. Pity. Smiling
(02-07-2012, 07:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You just mentioned the gasoline 2 posts back! "Wow. Add a little gasoline to a fire no one needs."

The fact is only about 4 or 5% of the U.S. population above age 15 buys a hunting license, versus the wildlife belongs to all of us hunters and non hunters alike, and wolves have just as much right to exist in this world as elk do. It's particularly ridiculous that Larry thinks elk are OK for him to kill and eat, using his rifle, but wolves aren't allowed to do that very same thing using only their bare muscles and teeth (let's see Larry try that one, now there's a hunt I'd be in favor of!). Plus wolves can't exist without killing other creatures, versus Larry who has many other options. Plus, there are only so many elk in the world, and far more hunters. Larry is going to have to learn how to share. Pity. Smiling

Okay...I guessed as much of course. Just wondered why you did you did not use the reply feature to make it clear.
As to hunting: I have no strong feelings about it, but I don't hunt. I would in a heartbeat if I was hungry. Personally, I don't understand the "sport" part of the thing. I come from a long line of hunters and fishermen, so that may influence my stance in some ways.
we need some bison to stomp the wolves. and larry.
We all come from long lines of hunters and fishermen, because there weren't very many humans and there was lots of stuff to kill and eat. Of course, I'd hunt in a heartbeat if I was hungry too. When that was all gone, we'd starve. The fact is, todays wild population of anything is no where near enough to feed our current human population - witness how deer were practically wiped out in this country 100 years ago, and have only come back with hunting restrictions.

Even I have been hunting and fishing both, which may come as a surprise to some. It never seemed like much of a "sport" to me though either.

(02-07-2012, 07:39 AM)PonderThis Wrote: We all come from long lines of hunters and fishermen, because there weren't very many humans and there was lots of stuff to kill and eat. Of course, I'd hunt in a heartbeat if I was hungry too. When that was all gone, we'd starve. The fact is, todays wild population of anything is no where near enough to feed our current human population - witness how deer were practically wiped out in this country 100 years ago, and have only come back with hunting restrictions.

Even I have been hunting and fishing both, which may come as a surprise to some. It never seemed like much of a "sport" to me though either.

However we feel, I wonder if it's fair to blast Larry for his choices. Given all the real human suffering in the world, the hunting "thing" is way down on my list of priorities. Larry expressed a view that suggested (I think) we don't' need wolves. Maybe he is right: I simply don't know as so asked for his take on the subject.

I suppose I should be more concerned with Larry's sensitive side. Smiling
(02-07-2012, 07:57 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I suppose I should be more concerned with Larry's sensitive side. Smiling

I know Larry (A bit...from Forum get-togethers). He does not seem insensitive to me. I certainly would not label him as such simply because he enjoys hunting. You will remember, I'm sure, his very sensitive remarks about his family, and his love of our country.
good to know you are over your stroke and back to being hall monitor.
Nothing more sensitive than a guy with a rifle ready to blow away an animal being labeled sensitive.
(02-07-2012, 08:05 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-07-2012, 07:57 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I suppose I should be more concerned with Larry's sensitive side. Smiling

I know Larry (A bit...from Forum get-togethers). He does not seem insensitive to me. I certainly would not label him as such simply because he enjoys hunting. You will remember, I'm sure, his very sensitive remarks about his family, and his love of our country.

You may know Larry from real life, and he may indeed be a sensitive person, but Forum Larry comes across as anything but sensitive. I'm sure he does love his family, possibly his dog if he owns one, and patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Smiling