Medford SUCKS!
Murder rate National down 5.7%, in the West down 4.7%, in cities 50K-99,999 down 21.8%, in Medford UP 133.3%. Rape National down 5.1%, West 10.2%, 50K down 2.5%, Medford UP 9.7%. Robbery National down 7.7%, West down 4.7%, 50K down 8.9%, Medford UP 55.9%. Aggravated Assault National down 5.9%, West down 4.0%, 50K down 6.6%, Medford UP 30.9%. Theft National down 4.0%, West down 3.9%, 50K down 3.5%, Medford UP 20.8%. Arson National down 8.6%, West down 7.8%, 50K down 10.2%, Medford UP 36.4%. Stats from FBI and City of Medford.
You make a good case. Are figures for the county similar (or, other counties in Southern Oregon)? I wonder if they can identify reasons for what seems like this alarming increase in Medford?

I suppose I'd want to know if our figures per capita are similarly out of line, too. It might be we're only playing catch up. Your post provokes more questions than answers to me now. Smiling

p.s. As long as I'm askin' questions (the easy part, btw) I suppose I'd want to know how our police expenditures or manpower per capita runs in comparison to places doing better crimewise, too, as well as what their priorities are (like, perhaps they spend all of their time chasing marijuana offenders when they could be addressing real crime - just making a guess maybe).
I believe it caused from the large atheist population in Medford
There had been ten murders in Medford from 200-2010. The one asshole who killed his wife and kids in 2011 killed four if I'm not mistaken. That might skew those stats a bit. While sensationalistic, the stats don't tell the whole story......
The National, West & 50K-99,999 are FBI stats based on population percentages, the Medford are from the city of Medford and also based on percentage of population. No skewing here....just the facts!

(12-31-2011, 11:25 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You make a good case. Are figures for the county similar (or, other counties in Southern Oregon)? I wonder if they can identify reasons for what seems like this alarming increase in Medford?

I suppose I'd want to know if our figures per capita are similarly out of line, too. It might be we're only playing catch up. Your post provokes more questions than answers to me now. Smiling

p.s. As long as I'm askin' questions (the easy part, btw) I suppose I'd want to know how our police expenditures or manpower per capita runs in comparison to places doing better, too, as well as what their priorities are (like, perhaps they spend all of their time chasing marijuana offenders when they could be addressing real crime - just making a guess maybe).

According the the Medford Police it is because of poverty. BULLSHIT! Poverty is universal at this point. Medford is NOT the safe place it used to be, period. Gangs, drugs, etc. have invaded and are taking over.
I love the place. Warts and all.

Figures lie. Liars figure. (Than you Harry)

Not many perfect places around. But, BZ your post valid stuff I guess. Just ain't gonna make me move. I won't move to Central Point because I don't trust a town that can't settle on one name. I won't move to Grant's Pass because sure as hell I'd be tempted to run for office, then impeached. I won't move up by Ponder because I don't have a truck with a gas tank big enough. I'd move in with Tia any damn place she lived, but she gets all picky and finicky about me being old and married.

Medford it is, for better or worse.
(12-31-2011, 11:26 AM)chuck white Wrote: I believe it caused from the large atheist population in Medford

I say we blame Bush! Evil
Oh wait! Obama! Rolling Eyes
Nevermind... Chuck was right... it is the atheists! Wink
(12-31-2011, 11:31 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Gangs, drugs, etc. have invaded and are taking over.

I think you are onto something. Just think it through. But beware! If you say it outloud you will be labeled a racist.
Illustrates some problems with selectively gathering statistics.. You can make most anything appear different than it really is.. But it may be as it seems too. Medford may have experienced a temporary or uncharacteristic upturn in these crimes, perhaps do to an individual or small group of really bad people.. I think our general crime rate went down in GP in 2011 by the arrest and conviction of some bad dude(s).
I didn't just take City of Medford data...I compared and contrasted it with FBI data for the Nation,Western US and towns of the same size.
It wasn't selective, it was a well-thought out process of gathering information and comparing it for analysis...in case you didn't know, that is the way the "professionals" do it.
Yes, Medford had a weird murder thing this year, but it's not just murder that is on the rise...ALL crime is on the rise per capita in Medford.

(12-31-2011, 03:12 PM)broadzilla Wrote: I didn't just take City of Medford data...I compared and contrasted it with FBI data for the Nation,Western US and towns of the same size.
It wasn't selective, it was a well-thought out process of gathering information and comparing it for analysis...in case you didn't know, that is the way the "professionals" do it.
Yes, Medford had a weird murder thing this year, but it's not just murder that is on the rise...ALL crime is on the rise per capita in Medford.

BZ a couple of people have told you that the latest figures do not necessarily mean you you seem to think.

If I went out tomorrow and shot about 20 people dead and then killed my self the stats would show that we have a butt load more murders here per capita.

But you still would not be in any more danger whatsoever.

That's why the arson/murder thing did indeed SKEW the figures or at at least the way you want to make conclusions.
I go to Medford every two weeks for things I can't get in GP. Granted I only hit two areas of the town, Hwy 62 at Delta Waters and Barnett near Winco, but I almost never see any police patrols. In GP, one out of every hundred cars are police cruisers. Big Grin
Aggravated assaults up, burglaries up, theft up...everything up in Medford...nationally there is a downward trend. How is that skewing?

EVERY type of crime has increased exponentially in Medford, whereas nationally the rates per capita have gone down. How can you people not get this?

Our kids are in danger...oh, but I forgot, most of you are older and don't have kids still being raised and affected by the crap. Fine, whatever, bury your head in the sand and listen to what the bureaucrats locally are saying.

Medford IS getting worse on quicker than most of the US, it is a FACT. If the trend continues at this rate, we will be worse than LA or Oakland in no time.

(12-31-2011, 03:12 PM)broadzilla Wrote: I didn't just take City of Medford data...I compared and contrasted it with FBI data for the Nation,Western US and towns of the same size.

Correction noted and accepted.. I do think it is an aberration, though Medford could be just going bad... I've always viewed Medford as the enemy... GPHS alumni.
Other than 2008 & 2009, we have been consistently ABOVE the national crime average per capita since 1999.
(12-31-2011, 04:20 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Other than 2008 & 2009, we have been consistently ABOVE the national crime average per capita since 1999.

What do you think is the reason for the increase? What should be done to combat it?
(12-31-2011, 04:20 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Other than 2008 & 2009, we have been consistently ABOVE the national crime average per capita since 1999.

Must be my fault....I moved here in Dec 1997! Smiling

But I agree with BZ. Medford is no longer the sleepy little big town I moved to. I still love it here but the crime rate has definately changed for the worse in all areas.
(12-31-2011, 11:20 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Murder rate National down 5.7%, in the West down 4.7%, in cities 50K-99,999 down 21.8%, in Medford UP 133.3%. Rape National down 5.1%, West 10.2%, 50K down 2.5%, Medford UP 9.7%. Robbery National down 7.7%, West down 4.7%, 50K down 8.9%, Medford UP 55.9%. Aggravated Assault National down 5.9%, West down 4.0%, 50K down 6.6%, Medford UP 30.9%. Theft National down 4.0%, West down 3.9%, 50K down 3.5%, Medford UP 20.8%. Arson National down 8.6%, West down 7.8%, 50K down 10.2%, Medford UP 36.4%. Stats from FBI and City of Medford.

We do suck!
(12-31-2011, 04:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

What do you think is the reason for the increase? What should be done to combat it?

How much did the Criatto murders contribute to the average?