Medford SUCKS!
(12-31-2011, 04:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 04:20 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Other than 2008 & 2009, we have been consistently ABOVE the national crime average per capita since 1999.

What do you think is the reason for the increase? What should be done to combat it?

For one, we need to let the "gangs" know that they are not welcome here and make them leave. Bust them for every little thing they do that is illegal and give them the maximum sentences. Maybe they will get the idea and go away. (Then again, I would LOVE to see some "western justice" take place...hee hee!)
(12-31-2011, 11:31 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 11:25 AM)PonderThis Wrote: You make a good case. Are figures for the county similar (or, other counties in Southern Oregon)? I wonder if they can identify reasons for what seems like this alarming increase in Medford?

I suppose I'd want to know if our figures per capita are similarly out of line, too. It might be we're only playing catch up. Your post provokes more questions than answers to me now. Smiling

p.s. As long as I'm askin' questions (the easy part, btw) I suppose I'd want to know how our police expenditures or manpower per capita runs in comparison to places doing better, too, as well as what their priorities are (like, perhaps they spend all of their time chasing marijuana offenders when they could be addressing real crime - just making a guess maybe).

According the the Medford Police it is because of poverty. BULLSHIT! Poverty is universal at this point. Medford is NOT the safe place it used to be, period. Gangs, drugs, etc. have invaded and are taking over.

Maybe it is the "Derry" of the West.Neutral
(12-31-2011, 05:04 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 04:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 04:20 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Other than 2008 & 2009, we have been consistently ABOVE the national crime average per capita since 1999.

What do you think is the reason for the increase? What should be done to combat it?

For one, we need to let the "gangs" know that they are not welcome here and make them leave. Bust them for every little thing they do that is illegal and give them the maximum sentences. Maybe they will get the idea and go away. (Then again, I would LOVE to see some "western justice" take place...hee hee!)

Well, I've always believed in public punishment. Some form of public pillory. However, I will say this. Mandatory sentencing is in large part responsible for the predicament the Correctional System crisis we are in. There is no more room nor funding for more facilities or beds, so we see criminals being released before their sentences are over. It also takes Judicial discretion away, so that extenuating or critical circumstances cannot be taken into consideration. Guilty? Guilty. Prison for 7 years, even if was something that wasn't vicious, premeditated, or lack of past history. I will not vote or sign any petition for mandatory sentencing laws, because in the end, they work against us, and keep judges from doing their true jobs that were elected for, which is adjudicating. (specifically to make a determination based on all evidence and circumstances.)
(12-31-2011, 04:13 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I go to Medford every two weeks for things I can't get in GP. Granted I only hit two areas of the town, Hwy 62 at Delta Waters and Barnett near Winco, but I almost never see any police patrols. In GP, one out of every hundred cars are police cruisers. Big Grin

There is quite a bit of police presence in high crime neighborhoods. Except when something is happening of course.Ninja
One person was telling me he'd come to make a habit out of smoking tobacco out of a little pot pipe he liked, and was doing that at a Medford intersection when an undercover cop car pulled him over. The cop told him that was a bad idea to do in Medford, saying Medford is full of undercover cops in unmarked cars. Sad
(12-31-2011, 06:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote: One person was telling me he'd come to make a habit out of smoking tobacco out of a little pot pipe he liked, and was doing that at a Medford intersection when an undercover cop car pulled him over. The cop told him that was a bad idea to do in Medford, saying Medford is full of undercover cops in unmarked cars. Sad

Yeah that is purty dumbRazz. I have a friend who buys pipe tobacco because the tax for it didn't go up 2500% like it did for cigarettes or roll your own tobacco. And he has a funny looking pipe and always looks like he's smokin weed.

I hope Medford really is full of undercover cops in unmarked cars.
(12-31-2011, 05:04 PM)broadzilla Wrote: For one, we need to let the "gangs" know that they are not welcome here and make them leave. Bust them for every little thing they do that is illegal and give them the maximum sentences. Maybe they will get the idea and go away. (Then again, I would LOVE to see some "western justice" take place...hee hee!)

I remember this gang subject being discussed in '06 or '07 on the MTF. I would post repeatedly that people needed to address the problem while it was small and if left unchecked it would become impossible to reverse. It's probably not too late at this point.... Anyway, the gangs are only a part of the problem. Substance abuse of all varieties is what fuels most of the crime and at least contributes in most domestic violence. Do you look at the jail website? Pictures tell the story.
http://inmate.jacksoncounty.org/Index.aspx?Character=A
(12-31-2011, 06:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 06:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote: One person was telling me he'd come to make a habit out of smoking tobacco out of a little pot pipe he liked, and was doing that at a Medford intersection when an undercover cop car pulled him over. The cop told him that was a bad idea to do in Medford, saying Medford is full of undercover cops in unmarked cars. Sad

Yeah that is purty dumbRazz. I have a friend who buys pipe tobacco because the tax for it didn't go up 2500% like it did for cigarettes or roll your own tobacco. And he has a funny looking pipe and always looks like he's smokin weed.

I think it is. A lot of folks roll their own smokes....do they get pulled over too?
(12-31-2011, 08:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 05:04 PM)broadzilla Wrote: For one, we need to let the "gangs" know that they are not welcome here and make them leave. Bust them for every little thing they do that is illegal and give them the maximum sentences. Maybe they will get the idea and go away. (Then again, I would LOVE to see some "western justice" take place...hee hee!)

I remember this gang subject being discussed in '06 or '07 on the MTF. I would post repeatedly that people needed to address the problem while it was small and if left unchecked it would become impossible to reverse. It's probably not too late at this point.... Anyway, the gangs are only a part of the problem. Substance abuse of all varieties is what fuels most of the crime and at least contributes in most domestic violence. Do you look at the jail website? Pictures tell the story.

I don't think anyone disagreed with you back then either, VS.Wink
(12-31-2011, 08:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 06:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I think it is. A lot of folks roll their own smokes....do they get pulled over too?

I don't know ? but the WAY you smoke a cig looks and is a lot different than they way people smoke a joint
A little pot pipe with tobacco in it...maybe not so easy to see any difference.
(12-31-2011, 08:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I would PUI back then and it was my methods of fixing the problem that were frowned upon. Laughing VS has a kinder soul these days. Big Grin

Address the problem?? HOW?? there's only so much anyone can do short of shooting the bastards on the spot.
(12-31-2011, 08:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Address the problem?? HOW?? there's only so much anyone can do short of shooting the bastards on the spot.
That sounds like a plan! I know a bunch who are lucky I haven't gone BROADZILLA on them (well, vocally I have just not physically).

(12-31-2011, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I would PUI back then and it was my methods of fixing the problem that were frowned upon. Laughing VS has a kinder soul these days. Big Grin

Oh, GOSH!!! I just realized....VS????? Valley Soldiers?!!! It's YOU! You used to ziplock the meth dealers to trees and leave them there!!!SurprisedSurprisedLaughingLaughingLaughing
(12-31-2011, 08:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know ? but the WAY you smoke a cig looks and is a lot different than they way people smoke a joint
A little pot pipe with tobacco in it...maybe not so easy to see any difference.

That why I learned to smoke a joint like it was a cigarette.Ninja
(12-31-2011, 08:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, GOSH!!! I just realized....VS????? Valley Soldiers?!!! It's YOU! You used to ziplock the meth dealers to trees and leave them there!!!SurprisedSurprisedLaughingLaughingLaughing

LaughingLaughingLaughing Nope! Sounds like fun though..... Laughing
(12-31-2011, 09:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 08:21 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh, GOSH!!! I just realized....VS????? Valley Soldiers?!!! It's YOU! You used to ziplock the meth dealers to trees and leave them there!!!SurprisedSurprisedLaughingLaughingLaughing

LaughingLaughingLaughing Nope! Sounds like fun though..... Laughing

Well, I didn't think so, but it was fun while the thought lasted.Big Grin
Smiling
(12-31-2011, 09:13 PM)broadzilla Wrote: :)

Yea, I always go to Central Point when I need a joint replacement.

Gold Hill is my choice when I feel like dressing for dinner at a place with linen, silver, and Crystal.

Shady Cove my spot for acts that can't bet booked at The Craterian.

Applegate Valley is my choice when I feel a sudden urge for a burrito.

Grants pass, "It's the weather" has perfect city government.

I really like Medford, and will accept it warts and all. And my comments above are not to in anyway disparage those locals...just a kind of comparison.

PS: When did "SUCKS" enter our lexicon as a standard adjective? (Clone, we need you now).