Medford SUCKS!
Quote:PS: When did "SUCKS" enter our lexicon as a standard adjective? (Clone, we need you now).

I think at least 20 years ago. I remember when I first started hearing it from my kids and I didn't like it.
I'm over it now. Face it Wonker. It's now a common word.Smiling
(01-01-2012, 12:17 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(12-31-2011, 09:13 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Smiling

Yea, I always go to Central Point when I need a joint replacement.

Gold Hill is my choice when I feel like dressing for dinner at a place with linen, silver, and Crystal.

Shady Cove my spot for acts that can't bet booked at The Craterian.

Applegate Valley is my choice when I feel a sudden urge for a burrito.

Grants pass, "It's the weather" has perfect city government.

I really like Medford, and will accept it warts and all. And my comments above are not to in anyway disparage those locals...just a kind of comparison.

PS: When did "SUCKS" enter our lexicon as a standard adjective? (Clone, we need you now).

I am not sure when that word entered, but earlier than I thought. I read a memoir of Viet Nam Mash Nurse and she was using it.
(01-01-2012, 12:44 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Gold Hill is my choice when I feel like dressing for dinner at a place with linen, silver, and Crystal.

I really like Medford, and will accept it warts and all. And my comments above are not to in anyway disparage those locals...just a kind of comparison.

PS: When did "SUCKS" enter our lexicon as a standard adjective? (Clone, we need you now).

I am not sure when that word entered, but earlier than I thought. I read a memoir of Viet Nam Mash Nurse and she was using it.

Whatever. To us "older folks" it sounds a bit harsh, owing to it's origins.
(01-01-2012, 01:04 PM)Wonky Wrote:

You mean, it's not the sound of the sink draining? Geez, Wonky! Go there!Laughing

I think the question was when it was standard.Smiling

I always hear that you are as old as you want to be, you are as young as you feel and all that. So quit wanting to be old and dating yourself.
People who use the term don't mean sucking dick. Women who cuss are not someone for you to look down on. I love ya man but sheesh get over it with the whining about they way people are and the way people talk and the way people post.
(01-01-2012, 12:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:PS: When did "SUCKS" enter our lexicon as a standard adjective? (Clone, we need you now).

I think at least 20 years ago. I remember when I first started hearing it from my kids and I didn't like it.
I'm over it now. Face it Wonker. It's now a common word.Smiling

I think that's when I became aware of it too, with the same feelings. I guess familiarity breeds contempt. Or comfort. The book I read was written in the 70's though.
(01-01-2012, 03:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I always hear that you are as old as you want to be, you are as young as you feel and all that. So quit wanting to be old and dating yourself.
People who use the term don't mean sucking dick. Women who cuss are not someone for you to look down on. I love ya man but sheesh get over it with the whining about they way people are and the way people talk and the way people post.

Go to jail TVg. Don't pass GO, don't collect the money.

"Get over it with the whining"?

I have the option of making critical remarks. Sometimes I do, but I try to do it without coarse words in deference to anyone here who may be offended by it. I know for a fact that some will be offend by your remark above.

We have had personal face-to-face interaction, and you know full well that in that setting I'm "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable". I just know when and where to monitor myself.

Come on over TV, I'll whine in your face. But TV, you use words like those in the sentence above, following "people who use the term don't mean...." in front of my wife and you will have to deal with an angry older man. No so old, when all is said and done.

So, about "suck". Yea, I remember when Ross Peroit said NAFTA would cause a huge sucking sound if passed. It's all about context.

So what is the context here? I know the locker room remark, "suck this" and it's most often done with a gesture indicating location. The sucking sound of water down the drain? Sucking on a popsicle? A baby suckling?

I don't think so.

But do as you will. I'm fond of you also, and don't want to start a war that I can't win. (But, I could maybe shoot you in the butt before defeat) Laughing

And finally, I really like Medford Town, it was my choice to live here, and while I know that the knocks were legit, I just don't take kindly to folks saying my town sucks. Cause it's not going down the drain, we are not all holding popsicles, the few babies breast feeding make little, if any, noise, and NAFA has been in place a long time. That only leaves the other thing.

And remember that I own Park Place. You don't' want to spend the night there.
I can't tell you how many times I would have told someone to "suck my left... you know what" if I had one. I am a lefty... and I am left-handed... so it would just make sense to offer up the "left... you know what".

TMI? Oopsie! Perhaps I still have a buzz! Big Grin I don't know, but I'd say that just came out of left field! Laughing Laughing
Lefties unite!
Lefties!! Cool

What is the origin of the phrase "(blank) sucks" or "that sucks"?

The first time I ever heard this saying was back in the 70's when Disco was in its heyday. The saying at the time was "Disco sucks" and the companion statement (which you don't hear, like ever) was that Rock music did the other thing that rhymes with "sucks."

Now it is commonplace in our language for people to say that something or someone "sucks" meaning it/they are somehow bad or at least not up to par. I've often heard people say, when faced with and unfortunate set of circumstances, "that blows," which seems to be a variation on a theme.

http://askville.amazon.com/origin-phrase...d=33065909

Even some evangelicals are in on this:

Which is exactly what we’re doing with the name Church Marketing Sucks.

We’re being authentic. We’re being real. We’re doing the same thing we’re asking the church to do when it comes to communicating and marketing who they are.

Profanity is culturally and contextually defined. There’s nothing inherently bad about any word. In our changing culture previously profane words are losing their original unwholesome associations. ‘Suck’ no longer references a sexual act in today’s context. Instead, it means something disagreeable or offensive (some might say our defense of the word ‘suck’ sucks). Likewise you could be just as profane and unwholesome using clinical language—it’s the context that makes the difference.

In the end we’re trying to help the church. We have better things to do than argue word choice, and we think the church does, too.

Many recall a familiar message by Tony Campolo where he uses the four-letter “s” word. Iterations exist all over the place (including the Internet), but the context goes something like “[This many] children have died of hunger today and you don’t give a s–t! In fact, you are more concerned with the fact that I said ‘s–t’ than [this many] children died of hunger.”

http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/2005...%E2%80%99/
Quote: Wonky... Come on over TV, I'll whine in your face. But TV, you use words like those in the sentence above, following "people who use the term don't mean...." in front of my wife and you will have to deal with an angry older man. No so old, when all is said and done.

Wonky I would not use any swear words in front of anyone I didn't know. But this IS for the most part unmoderated forum for ADULTS.
I think more than anything my point is that the meaning YOU get from words is not the intent whatsoever.
YOU seem to think a word "sucks" is offensive because it refers to a sexual act that you can't even type? But I think it's only you thinking that.
So what I'm saying is that if it's just YOU that is so offended then maybe your remarks or comments( OK I won't say whining) about people who use these words or what that makes them is YOUR problem.
So anyway making your opinion known is of course something we all do but as far as I know you are the only one here called the hall monitorLaughing doesn't that suck?Razz
(01-02-2012, 11:19 AM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote: Wonky... Come on over TV, I'll whine in your face. But TV, you use words like those in the sentence above, following "people who use the term don't mean...." in front of my wife and you will have to deal with an angry older man. No so old, when all is said and done.

Wonky I would not use any swear words in front of anyone I didn't know. But this IS for the most part unmoderated forum for ADULTS.
I think more than anything my point is that the meaning YOU get from words is not the intent whatsoever.
YOU seem to think a word "sucks" is offensive because it refers to a sexual act that you can't even type? But I think it's only you thinking that.
So what I'm saying is that if it's just YOU that is so offended then maybe your remarks or comments( OK I won't say whining) about people who use these words or what that makes them is YOUR problem.
So anyway making your opinion known is of course something we all do but as far as I know you are the only one here called the hall monitorLaughing doesn't that suck?Razz

Damn! Really hard to be angry with you. You "give good post"
MY problem?
Yea.
an ADULT place? Yea. But, while we "know" one another in a sense, we don't really know one another in the more complete social definition.
Vulgar language isn't necessary under these circumstances, so why use it. (Rhetorical). If there are one or two folks here who object, that should be reason enough to use standard conversational tone.

Example: Looking at comments here made by Propero or Publis (? spelling) you can't help but notice good practiced use of the language, points made succinctly, serious comments worth reflection, and opinions that while strong, are not callous or offensive. Notice too, you have never seen either use vulgar language. Also notice that we see fewer posts by either of them.

I'll continue to maintain that spoken vulgar language in "proper settings" is very different from public utterances open to all who can see or hear it.

But hey, that's only my opinion. Yet, IT IS MINE. So how about stopping with all the judgmental offerings about what you see as MY judgmental statements. This is discourse, and remember, you always have the "ignore" switch in your mind, just I have.

There may not be a right or wrong here, but there is somewhere a standard. The question is how far down to we have to dig to find that standard.

(01-02-2012, 11:41 AM)Wonky Wrote: Damn! ... Vulgar language isn't necessary under these circumstances, so why use it.

Do as I say and not as I do, I notice. Smiling
(01-02-2012, 11:45 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-02-2012, 11:41 AM)Wonky Wrote: Damn! ... Vulgar language isn't necessary under these circumstances, so why use it.

Do as I say and not as I do, I notice. Smiling

I do slip from time to time I'm sure. You wanna post the last one?

PS: Is there EVER a post that you don't feel a need to respond too?
I'm an equal opportunity responder to hypocrisy. You always want to lecture everybody on how they post online, yet do the exact same things yourself. Look in a mirror.

I never have liked a bully.
(01-02-2012, 11:19 AM)tvguy Wrote: YOU seem to think a word "sucks" is offensive because it refers to a sexual act that you can't even type?

What? What are you talking about TVg? Cool Evil Big Grin
Quote: But hey, that's only my opinion. Yet, IT IS MINE. So how about stopping with all the judgmental offerings about what you see as MY judgmental statements.

Sorry but I think I've only commented on your objections to certain words a couple times. Once was when you said no lady would use a certain word.
And on this thread where you objected to the word sucks.

Anyway it's funny that you want me to stop doing what you are doing:wacko:

Sorry Wonk, none of it's a big deal to me. You can object all you want about the type of language you hear on this forum. I will still love to read your other posts, you make good points and you are very funny.
But the world is made up of all kinds and while you make like Prospero and Publius or Homer's Odyssey for their writing style. I may like Homey the clown or Homer Simpson Or ren and Stimpy, or Beevis and Butthead.
You are Korea I was Vietnam. WE my friend are from different times but we live in the same time.Big Grin

Sadly telling, is the fact that, when German POWs were walking our streets as welcome war heroes, while Blacks were confined to their quarters at Camp White, under guard, the crime rate was low.