Great Photo of the Day!
Pretty cool. I took this picture at my feeder and I never bothered to see what kind it was.
Pretty sure it's a female Anna's Hummingbird

[Image: 25qw378.jpg]
(02-25-2018, 09:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:53 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:  
I've looked at several sites from people who know a lot more than we do and there seems to be no issue with feeding hummers in the winter.

Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds
gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013
[Image: home-design.jpg]
"When should I take my hummingbird feeders down?" is a perennial question asked by nearly everyone who puts up a hummingbird feeder. Immediately following that question is "Won't I stop the hummingbirds from migrating if I leave up my feeders in the fall?"
The answers are very simple: "Whenever you wish to stop maintaining them" and "No."
A deceptively small yet incredibly profound fact has recently been discovered: It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year. By making nectar plants, feeders, and natural habitat available all year you are helping hummingbirds, not hindering them, during the fall and winter months.
Hummingbirds are a lot tougher than they look. As one hummingbird bander has pointed out, could you survive outside in 4 degree F temperatures and nine inches of snow? Hummingbirds can and do so, given the right habitat and resources, and it appears to be the norm rather than the exception.
Responsibility for maintaining winter feeders is the same as in summer, of course, except that you may have to contend with your sugar solution freezing rather than "going bad". Many people use heat lamps to keep feeders thawed in sub-freezing weather; some keep extra feeders on hand inside and swap out frozen feeders as needed.

The thing is, if you take them down in the winter, and you have birds feeding off them, they will die...there's nothing else for them to eat.  They tank up right before the sun goes down and are out there first light. The day we had snow I noticed the things trying to get some nectar and it was all snowed over like yours in the picture. Unless someone else  has a feeder around, then they have to go there.  But if I'm going to keep it up in the winter, it's a commitment.  I'm not going to take it down NOW!
I'm not saying you should take it down. Actually I'M not saying anything. I'm just posting what should be factual info. Seems to me in some cases you can indeed be saving then from starving Smiling

Did you read this?....

It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year.

When should I feed hummingbirds?

Some regions of North America host hummingbirds all year long, so residents there can put the feeder up now and never take it down—except to refill and clean it, of course! Some people may be concerned that leaving a feeder up will prevent hummingbirds from migrating in the fall. This is a myth. Hummingbirds (and all migratory birds) have an internal “clock” that tells them when to migrate. No healthy hummingbird would ever stick around just because you’ve left your feeder up in the fall. However, late migrants, young and inexperienced birds, and hummers that are not completely healthy may be helped by the presence of your feeder, especially in areas where blooming flowers are scarce in fall and early winter.

I read it, but what are they living on?  Also, regarding migration... our humming birds do migrate.  Like I said, the ones here migrate to Redding in the winter, or so the bird experts have told me.  But I do have a few that stick around...so if there were no feeders and they need to eat frequently I have no idea what they would feed on. 

And I never said that you suggested I take it down.  I just said "If".
 Yes  they migrate, But actually some species do not, So I have to wonder what the species of birds that don't migrate eat in the winter.
Some eat tiny insects. Maybe they can find then somehow.

So apparently in Oregon it's Anna’s Hummingbirds that don't migrate. Is that what you have?

Anna’s Hummingbirds trying to survive a cold winter also have another item in their bag of tricks: They eat insects and spiders. They will hawk flying insects, glean tree hoppers from leaves, probe crevices for spiders, steal captured insects from spider webs, and pluck trapped insects from tree sap. And you can assume that even more insects and spiders await discovery in winter by hummingbirds that know where to look.

Male...[Image: 66120941-720px.jpg]

Female....

[Image: 66120991-720px.jpg]

Cool...I didn't know they ate insects...now it kind of makes sense that the insect eating warbler did the reverse and lived off the feeder for the winter.
Juniper, Do your Hummers look like Anna's hummingbirds?
(02-27-2018, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: Juniper, Do your Hummers look like Anna's hummingbirds?

Oh, yes, I'm sure that's what they are.  A couple of years ago a hummingbird got inside...it was seriously twice the size of the ones I normally see. I have no idea what it was.  When I described it someone, they said it was probably an Anna's.  Well, it was the Goliath of Anna's if it was. It was bigger than a sparrow.
(02-27-2018, 07:33 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: Juniper, Do your Hummers look like Anna's hummingbirds?

Oh, yes, I'm sure that's what they are.  A couple of years ago a hummingbird got inside...it was seriously twice the size of the ones I normally see. I have no idea what it was.  When I described it someone, they said it was probably an Anna's.  Well, it was the Goliath of Anna's if it was. It was bigger than a sparrow.

Apparently Anna's are the largest hummers we have in Oregon.

Anna's Hummingbirds, Calypte anna - Native Breeders and Year-round Residents - This is only known resident hummingbird throughout the year. They nest regularly in Oregon (Willamette Valley and Coast). The Anna's Hummingbird is much less common in Central Oregon than the Rufous Hummingbird.
Quote:They are usually found in suburban parks, gardens and valleys. Some Anna's Hummingbirds are resident where food (flowers and feeders) and shelter is readily available. Anna's may move seasonally to make best use of local resources, such as flowering seasons or availability of feeders - these movements are usually more to elevation than to latitude.
The largest hummingbird species in that region and one of the most vocal hummingbirds in the United States, where it is the only species to produce a song; specifically the males produce a complex series of scratchy noises, sounding like a sharp "chee-chee-chee; when moving from flower to flower, they emit toneless "chip" vocalizations. All other hummingbirds in the United States are mostly silent.
They are well known for their territorial behavior; the male makes elaborate dive displays at other birds and sometimes even at people. At the bottom of their dives, they produce high-pitched loud popping sounds with their tail feathers.
Males have glossy dark rose-red throats and crowns, which may appear black or dark purple in low light. The underside is mostly greyish; and the back metallic green.

Females have light grey chests with white and red spotting on the throat, greenish back and white tipped tails.
They resemble the Costa's Hummingbirds, but the male's Costa's Hummingbird's gorget (throat feathers) is longer than that of the Anna's. They are larger than the Rufous Hummingbirds and lack the rusty coloration of the Rufous Hummingbirds. Male Anna's have brilliant red feathers on the top of the head as well as the throat.
[Image: AnnaHummingbirdMaleSM.jpg]
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/hummingbirdsoregon.html
(02-28-2018, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anna's Hummingbirds, Calypte anna - Native Breeders and Year-round Residents - This is only known resident hummingbird throughout the year. They nest regularly in Oregon (Willamette Valley and Coast). The Anna's Hummingbird is much less common in Central Oregon than the Rufous Hummingbird.
Quote:They are usually found in suburban parks, gardens and valleys. Some Anna's Hummingbirds are resident where food (flowers and feeders) and shelter is readily available. Anna's may move seasonally to make best use of local resources, such as flowering seasons or availability of feeders - these movements are usually more to elevation than to latitude.
The largest hummingbird species in that region and one of the most vocal hummingbirds in the United States, where it is the only species to produce a song; specifically the males produce a complex series of scratchy noises, sounding like a sharp "chee-chee-chee; when moving from flower to flower, they emit toneless "chip" vocalizations. All other hummingbirds in the United States are mostly silent.
They are well known for their territorial behavior; the male makes elaborate dive displays at other birds and sometimes even at people. At the bottom of their dives, they produce high-pitched loud popping sounds with their tail feathers.
Males have glossy dark rose-red throats and crowns, which may appear black or dark purple in low light. The underside is mostly greyish; and the back metallic green.

Females have light grey chests with white and red spotting on the throat, greenish back and white tipped tails.
They resemble the Costa's Hummingbirds, but the male's Costa's Hummingbird's gorget (throat feathers) is longer than that of the Anna's. They are larger than the Rufous Hummingbirds and lack the rusty coloration of the Rufous Hummingbirds. Male Anna's have brilliant red feathers on the top of the head as well as the throat.

This one was like 3 times larger than any of the others I've seen...I'm sure they are Anna's.  This one was enormous.
(02-28-2018, 07:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:

This one was like 3 times larger than any of the others I've seen...I'm sure they are Anna's.  This one was enormous.
He probably lived by a MacDonald's.
(02-28-2018, 08:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 07:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:

He probably lived by a MacDonald's.

His name was Bubba.
Found it...this is the little Warbler that stayed at my feeder all winter a couple of  years ago.  I was told it couldn't be because it's an insect eater and it doesn't stay here, but it stayed all year at my feeder.

[Image: 15941232_10208156224249604_1447901633676...e=5B4867D1]
(03-09-2018, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: Found it...this is the little Warbler that stayed at my feeder all winter a couple of  years ago.  I was told it couldn't be because it's an insect eater and it doesn't stay here, but it stayed all year at my feeder.

(03-10-2018, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 07:57 PM)Juniper Wrote: Found it...this is the little Warbler that stayed at my feeder all winter a couple of  years ago.  I was told it couldn't be because it's an insect eater and it doesn't stay here, but it stayed all year at my feeder.

I think it might be this guy [Image: mgwa_J3E12694.jpg]
He/she is a macgillivray's warbler.
(03-10-2018, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes. That's it. By by all accounts it shouldn't have been here in the dead of winter.
(03-10-2018, 04:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes. That's it. By by all accounts it shouldn't have been here in the dead of winter.
Well with climate change you may start seeing birds winter over who never did before. Our winters are pretty mild, there are insects flying around just about any day when the sun warms up things a little.
Or birds showing up in the summer that were not here before. I don't remember mockingbirds being here and they have been here now every year for a few years.
The same it true with grackles and with barred doves.
(03-10-2018, 04:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well with climate change you may start seeing birds winter over who never did before. Our winters are pretty mild, there are insects flying around just about any day when the sun warms up things a little.
Or birds showing up in the summer that were not here before. I don't remember mockingbirds being here and they have been here now every year for a few years.

I've never seen a mockingbird here...

as to this little bird, what I was told was that this bird wouldn't drink from a feeder because that's not it's food source.  Well, it did.  I've seen barred doves...I've not seen a grackle but have seen that they have been spotted at the wildlife area.
(03-10-2018, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-10-2018, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think it might be this guy [Image: mgwa_J3E12694.jpg]

as to this little bird, what I was told was that this bird wouldn't drink from a feeder because that's not it's food source.  Well, it did.  I've seen barred doves...I've not seen a grackle but have seen that they have been spotted at the wildlife area.
I remember posting about the first time I saw and heard one.. It was 2009 ......

https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/s...rd#pid7886
(03-10-2018, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-10-2018, 04:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-10-2018, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think it might be this guy [Image: mgwa_J3E12694.jpg]

I remember posting about the first time I saw and heard one.. It was 2009 ......

https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/s...rd#pid7886

I grew up with mockingbirds. I don't remember seeing one here..but my setting is a bit more urban and a lot of birds that are reported as being here, I never see.  I've certainly never seen a grackle around here.