Great Photo of the Day!
(02-22-2018, 09:42 AM)tvguy Wrote: This morning at the compound Big Grin

[Image: vqjxhy.jpg]
I bet your humming birds were disappointed.  I went out and knocked the snow off mine for the little guys.
(02-24-2018, 09:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 01:16 PM)tvguy Wrote: [Image: 206ht7a.jpg]

Looks like a celebrity. Big Grin
Thanks. It's hard to get a good photo of her. Normally as soon as she sees the camera she moves and whatever Kodak moment there was is gone.
Plus she is so black you almost have to have light from the front. In this pic she's laying on a black futon in my wife's office, under a bright window.
I added the purple tint. Smiling
(02-24-2018, 09:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I bet your humming birds were disappointed.  I went out and knocked the snow off mine for the little guys.
I don't bother feeding them in the winter.
(02-25-2018, 01:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

heartless.

The souls of little hummingbirds on your head!!  That's when they need the stuff!  Big Grin
(02-25-2018, 01:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:

The souls of little hummingbirds on your head!!  That's when they need the stuff!  Big Grin
I thought they went south in the winter. And if not WTF did they live off of before there were feeders?
(02-25-2018, 01:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 01:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I thought they went south in the winter. And if not WTF did they live off of before there were feeders?

I have a couple who stay and feed.  I guess it's a bit of a question of which came first, chicken or egg? I heard that "south" is Redding.  They mostly all fly to Redding. Neutral
If you put out a feeder, the humming birds do not learn to fly from flower patch to flower patch. They have a never ending source. Flowers only supply so much at a time. They will have more success in breeding and have lots of babies who also learn about the unlimited food supply. Winter comes around and they starve.

If you start feeding them, don't stop.
(02-25-2018, 07:32 PM)chuck white Wrote: If you put out a feeder, the humming birds do not learn to fly from flower patch to flower patch. They have a never ending source. Flowers only supply so much at a time.  They will have more success in breeding and have lots of babies who also learn about the unlimited food supply. Winter comes around and they starve.

You are SO full of shit LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing
(02-25-2018, 07:32 PM)chuck white Wrote: If you put out a feeder, the humming birds do not learn to fly from flower patch to flower patch. They have a never ending source. Flowers only supply so much at a time.  They will have more success in breeding and have lots of babies who also learn about the unlimited food supply. Winter comes around and they starve.

It's true if that if you feed them you shouldn't stop....but, I don't agree that they stop looking for other food sources. I watch them go to the flowers in my garden all the time.  If you feed them and don't intend to feed them for the winter, stop in the fall.  They actually need to eat frequently or they will die.  I can't find the picture but I took a picture of a little yellow bird that came to my feeder two years ago. My hummingbird feeder, not the seed feeder...I couldn't figure out what it was, it wasn't a finch...I finally think I identified it as a kind of warbler...but no one would agree with me. FB bird watching group birders said it couldn't be...the people at the bird feed store swore it couldn't be because that bird only eats insects not nectar...but there it was...It fed off my hummingbird feeder the entire winter.
(02-25-2018, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

It's true if that if you feed them you shouldn't stop....but, I don't agree that they stop looking for other food sources. I watch them go to the flowers in my garden all the time.  If you feed them and don't intend to feed them for the winter, stop in the fall.  They actually need to eat frequently or they will die.  I can't find the picture but I took a picture of a little yellow bird that came to my feeder two years ago. My hummingbird feeder, not the seed feeder...I couldn't figure out what it was, it wasn't a finch...I finally think I identified it as a kind of warbler...but no one would agree with me. FB bird watching group birders said it couldn't be...the people at the bird feed store swore it couldn't be because that bird only eats insects not nectar...but there it was...It fed off my hummingbird feeder the entire winter.

It's true if that if you feed them you shouldn't stop

I don't think so,I just googled about stop feeding them and all of the results were about WHEN you SHOULD stop

There even a freaking Hummingbird society Razz and they don't share CW's ideas at all.
(02-25-2018, 08:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't think so,I just googled about stop feeding them and all of the results were about WHEN you SHOULD stop

There even a freaking Hummingbird society Razz and they don't share CW's ideas at all.

Well, I did say to stop in the fall. If you ARE feeding them in the Winter, as I said,  you shouldn't stop, because they are literally dependent on your feeder if you stop...but they can fend for themselves fine in the warm season...I usually see many more hummingbirds in the summer just flying around than seem to actually come to my feeder. They don't NEED my feeder in the warm months.

What do you expect from Freaking hummingbird society, try looking at a hummingbird society, that's not freaking.

Big Grin
I'll except Juniper's idea of stopping in the fall. I heard about the evils of hummingbird feeders for the last thirty years. There was a feeder that came out, which limited the amount of nectar delivered, to act more like a flower.
(02-25-2018, 08:24 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, I did say to stop in the fall. If you ARE feeding them in the Winter, as I said,  you shouldn't stop, because they are literally dependent on your feeder if you stop...but they can fend for themselves fine in the warm season...I usually see many more hummingbirds in the summer just flying around than seem to actually come to my feeder. They don't NEED my feeder in the warm months.

My stupid feeder developed a leak and by the time I got a new one I think all they hummers already decided it was no good even when it was.
The feeder only draws the birds to where I can enjoy looking at them. They have plenty of food sources. I have a lot of honeysuckle they really like.
(02-25-2018, 08:36 PM)chuck white Wrote:

What do you expect from Freaking hummingbird society, try looking at a hummingbird society, that's not freaking.

Big Grin
I'll except Juniper's idea of stopping in the fall. I heard about the evils of hummingbird feeders for the last thirty years. There was a feeder that came out, which limited the amount of nectar delivered, to act more like a flower.

I've looked at several sites from people who know a lot more than we do and there seems to be no issue with feeding hummers in the winter.

Winter Feeding of Hummingbirds
gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013
[Image: home-design.jpg]
"When should I take my hummingbird feeders down?" is a perennial question asked by nearly everyone who puts up a hummingbird feeder. Immediately following that question is "Won't I stop the hummingbirds from migrating if I leave up my feeders in the fall?"
The answers are very simple: "Whenever you wish to stop maintaining them" and "No."
A deceptively small yet incredibly profound fact has recently been discovered: It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year. By making nectar plants, feeders, and natural habitat available all year you are helping hummingbirds, not hindering them, during the fall and winter months.
Hummingbirds are a lot tougher than they look. As one hummingbird bander has pointed out, could you survive outside in 4 degree F temperatures and nine inches of snow? Hummingbirds can and do so, given the right habitat and resources, and it appears to be the norm rather than the exception.
Responsibility for maintaining winter feeders is the same as in summer, of course, except that you may have to contend with your sugar solution freezing rather than "going bad". Many people use heat lamps to keep feeders thawed in sub-freezing weather; some keep extra feeders on hand inside and swap out frozen feeders as needed.
(02-25-2018, 08:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Big Grin

I've looked at several sites from people who know a lot more than we do and there seems to be no issue with feeding hummers in the winter.

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013
"When should I take my hummingbird feeders down?" is a perennial question asked by nearly everyone who puts up a hummingbird feeder. Immediately following that question is "Won't I stop the hummingbirds from migrating if I leave up my feeders in the fall?"
The answers are very simple: "Whenever you wish to stop maintaining them" and "No."
A deceptively small yet incredibly profound fact has recently been discovered: It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year. By making nectar plants, feeders, and natural habitat available all year you are helping hummingbirds, not hindering them, during the fall and winter months.
Hummingbirds are a lot tougher than they look. As one hummingbird bander has pointed out, could you survive outside in 4 degree F temperatures and nine inches of snow? Hummingbirds can and do so, given the right habitat and resources, and it appears to be the norm rather than the exception.
Responsibility for maintaining winter feeders is the same as in summer, of course, except that you may have to contend with your sugar solution freezing rather than "going bad". Many people use heat lamps to keep feeders thawed in sub-freezing weather; some keep extra feeders on hand inside and swap out frozen feeders as needed.

The thing is, if you take them down in the winter, and you have birds feeding off them, they will die...there's nothing else for them to eat.  They tank up right before the sun goes down and are out there first light. The day we had snow I noticed the things trying to get some nectar and it was all snowed over like yours in the picture. Unless someone else  has a feeder around, then they have to go there.  But if I'm going to keep it up in the winter, it's a commitment.  I'm not going to take it down NOW!

Big Grin

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

I'm going to concede on this issue after some internet research as well. Embarrassed
I started with a search of "the evils of hummingbird feeders" to find a bunch of links on evil humming birds, even a vampire humming bird link. Laughing
It appears, I may have been a victim of urban legend. There was some issues with mold growth in the feeders and some fermentation of the sugars. But the migration interference appears to be false.
(02-25-2018, 08:53 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: It's true if that if you feed them you shouldn't stop....but, I don't agree that they stop looking for other food sources. I watch them go to the flowers in my garden all the time.  If you feed them and don't intend to feed them for the winter, stop in the fall.  They actually need to eat frequently or they will die.  I can't find the picture but I took a picture of a little yellow bird that came to my feeder two years ago. My hummingbird feeder, not the seed feeder...I couldn't figure out what it was, it wasn't a finch...I finally think I identified it as a kind of warbler...but no one would agree with me. FB bird watching group birders said it couldn't be...the people at the bird feed store swore it couldn't be because that bird only eats insects not nectar...but there it was...It fed off my hummingbird feeder the entire winter.

Big Grin

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

The thing is, if you take them down in the winter, and you have birds feeding off them, they will die...there's nothing else for them to eat.  They tank up right before the sun goes down and are out there first light. The day we had snow I noticed the things trying to get some nectar and it was all snowed over like yours in the picture. Unless someone else  has a feeder around, then they have to go there.  But if I'm going to keep it up in the winter, it's a commitment.  I'm not going to take it down NOW!
I'm not saying you should take it down. Actually I'M not saying anything. I'm just posting what should be factual info. Seems to me in some cases you can indeed be saving then from starving Smiling

Did you read this?....

It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year.

When should I feed hummingbirds?

Some regions of North America host hummingbirds all year long, so residents there can put the feeder up now and never take it down—except to refill and clean it, of course! Some people may be concerned that leaving a feeder up will prevent hummingbirds from migrating in the fall. This is a myth. Hummingbirds (and all migratory birds) have an internal “clock” that tells them when to migrate. No healthy hummingbird would ever stick around just because you’ve left your feeder up in the fall. However, late migrants, young and inexperienced birds, and hummers that are not completely healthy may be helped by the presence of your feeder, especially in areas where blooming flowers are scarce in fall and early winter.
(02-25-2018, 09:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's true if that if you feed them you shouldn't stop

Big Grin

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

I'm not saying you should take it down. Actually I'M not saying anything. I'm just posting what should be factual info. Seems to me in some cases you can indeed be saving then from starving Smiling

Did you read this?....

It is being proven, by banding and recapture studies, that hummingbirds survive winter conditions in the United States very well on their own, and not only make it back to their traditional breeding grounds but actually return to the very same winter feeding grounds year after year after year.

Some regions of North America host hummingbirds all year long, so residents there can put the feeder up now and never take it down—except to refill and clean it, of course! Some people may be concerned that leaving a feeder up will prevent hummingbirds from migrating in the fall. This is a myth. Hummingbirds (and all migratory birds) have an internal “clock” that tells them when to migrate. No healthy hummingbird would ever stick around just because you’ve left your feeder up in the fall. However, late migrants, young and inexperienced birds, and hummers that are not completely healthy may be helped by the presence of your feeder, especially in areas where blooming flowers are scarce in fall and early winter.

I read it, but what are they living on?  Also, regarding migration... our humming birds do migrate.  Like I said, the ones here migrate to Redding in the winter, or so the bird experts have told me.  But I do have a few that stick around...so if there were no feeders and they need to eat frequently I have no idea what they would feed on. 

And I never said that you suggested I take it down.  I just said "If".
(02-25-2018, 09:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 08:36 PM)chuck white Wrote: What do you expect from Freaking hummingbird society, try looking at a hummingbird society, that's not freaking.

Big Grin

gwtamaraJanuary 1, 2013

Did you read this?....

I read it, but what are they living on?  Also, regarding migration... our humming birds do migrate.  Like I said, the ones here migrate to Redding in the winter, or so the bird experts have told me.  But I do have a few that stick around...so if there were no feeders and they need to eat frequently I have no idea what they would feed on. 

And I never said that you suggested I take it down.  I just said "If".
 Yes  they migrate, But actually some species do not, So I have to wonder what the species of birds that don't migrate eat in the winter.
Some eat tiny insects. Maybe they can find then somehow.

So apparently in Oregon it's Anna’s Hummingbirds that don't migrate. Is that what you have?

Anna’s Hummingbirds trying to survive a cold winter also have another item in their bag of tricks: They eat insects and spiders. They will hawk flying insects, glean tree hoppers from leaves, probe crevices for spiders, steal captured insects from spider webs, and pluck trapped insects from tree sap. And you can assume that even more insects and spiders await discovery in winter by hummingbirds that know where to look.

Male...[Image: 66120941-720px.jpg]

Female....

[Image: 66120991-720px.jpg]