Breaking: Shooting a/ W. Medford Albertsons
(01-05-2012, 11:49 PM)imaham Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:49 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:32 PM)imaham Wrote: Got this from FB

FEDERAL FUGITIVE SHOT BY U.S. MARSHALS
Medford, Oregon - Today at approximately 5:40 pm, Deputy U.S. Marshals located and attempted to apprehend a federal fugitive at an Albertson's store parking lot in Medford, Oregon. The subject was wanted for a Federal Probation Violation warrant dated December 21, 2011. The original charge was assault of a Deputy U.S. Marshal which occurred on October 5, 2009. While attempting to apprehend the subject, he used his vehicle as a deadly weapon. Deputy Marshals discharged their firearms striking the subject. The Subject is deceased. No U.S. Marshals personnel or officers were injured. This incident is ongoing and the identity of the deceased fugitive will be released as soon as possible. The Medford Police Department and the Oregon State Police are assisting in the investigation of this incident.

Sounds like he was a man on the run. Lesson of the story is don't assault a US Marshall and violate your probabion.

I am so relieved no one else was hurt.
These marshals are pros, eh?
They got their man and no one else was injured.
Whew!

While I don't bemoan the hurt/damage/death of anyone, here is a kind of example.....what do we know about these folks to call them pros....yet? What information do we have to make assessments with. Oh, an ode to CometMom!Smiling

They are people just like any of us. They are professionals in that they are trained to be so. A step above your average cop in most cases.
My niece is married to one of them in Medford. I don't know at this time if he was involved in this or not.

Of course, Ham, though I think you know where I was going with this....we know they are profesisonals, trained to be so....but so often we are faced with contemptuous attitudes that affect the people of the world. I'm not saying that is so with your own, and I think you know enough of me to know that. I also think that you know why I question blanket endorsements until we know all the details. I think you know why I am careful in waiting for the end and the final information.
(01-05-2012, 11:49 PM)imaham Wrote: They are people just like any of us. They are professionals in that they are trained to be so. A step above your average cop in most cases.
My niece is married to one of them in Medford. I don't know at this time if he was involved in this or not.

Yes, they are the pros.
Briefly, my son in the Air Force considered a law enforcement career and was only interested in the Marshals or U.S. Forest Service.
Cream of the crop.
Quote:Of course, Ham, though I think you know where I was going with this....we know they are profesisonals, trained to be so....but so often we are faced with contemptuous attitudes that affect the people of the world. I'm not saying that is so with your own, and I think you know enough of me to know that. I also think that you know why I question blanket endorsements until we know all the details. I think you know why I am careful in waiting for the end and the final information

Yes, I know and I wasn't trying to make light of that. Of course you are correct. There could be any number of twists and turns to the story or it could be pretty much the way it appears that it went down. And obviously, it could have been much worse.
One of my son's friends was shopping at Albertsons when this happened. She walked out to see everything happening. Her car was inside the police cordoned off area and she has to wait 7-8 hours before she can get her car. It's amazing no one else was hurt.
Quote:...U.S. Marshals said they shot a 20-year-old Medford man dead in an Albertsons parking lot Thursday night because he attempted to ram them with his car while trying to escape arrest.

James Harrison Georgeson Jr. was wanted by the Marshals office for a probation violation stemming from an assault on a federal officer in 2009.

"The U.S. Marshals were attempting to arrest this subject when the shots were fired," Medford police Chief Tim George said.

George said no local agencies were on scene when the shooting occurred.

The U.S. Marshals agency is tasked with tracking down and arresting those with federal warrants.

The attempted arrest occurred in the busy shopping center parking lot on West Main Street at 5:22 p.m.

"While attempting to apprehend him, (Georgeson) used his vehicle as a deadly weapon," U.S. Marshals spokesman Supervisory Deputy Eric Wahlstrom said in a news release....

Source Medford Mail Tribune

Now his family is on local news websites, and the local news stating that he was non-violent. Interesting, he was wanted for a probation violation for assaulting a federal officer and then used his vehicle as a weapon against federal marshalls. Sounds pretty non-violent to me...not!
(01-05-2012, 11:49 PM)imaham Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:59 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:49 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:32 PM)imaham Wrote: Got this from FB

FEDERAL FUGITIVE SHOT BY U.S. MARSHALS
Medford, Oregon - Today at approximately 5:40 pm, Deputy U.S. Marshals located and attempted to apprehend a federal fugitive at an Albertson's store parking lot in Medford, Oregon. The subject was wanted for a Federal Probation Violation warrant dated December 21, 2011. The original charge was assault of a Deputy U.S. Marshal which occurred on October 5, 2009. While attempting to apprehend the subject, he used his vehicle as a deadly weapon. Deputy Marshals discharged their firearms striking the subject. The Subject is deceased. No U.S. Marshals personnel or officers were injured. This incident is ongoing and the identity of the deceased fugitive will be released as soon as possible. The Medford Police Department and the Oregon State Police are assisting in the investigation of this incident.

Sounds like he was a man on the run. Lesson of the story is don't assault a US Marshall and violate your probabion.

I am so relieved no one else was hurt.
These marshals are pros, eh?
They got their man and no one else was injured.
Whew!

While I don't bemoan the hurt/damage/death of anyone, here is a kind of example.....what do we know about these folks to call them pros....yet? What information do we have to make assessments with. Oh, an ode to CometMom!Smiling

They are people just like any of us. They are professionals in that they are trained to be so. A step above your average cop in most cases.

Obviously a cop lover with a cop fetish.
(01-05-2012, 10:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm just deflecting till BZ's prediction comes true. Based on Crazy Lace's surmise of the town. It's all in good humour.

That's fineBig Grin I just didn't get the Schmedford thing. It didn't bring "schmuck" to my mind.
(01-06-2012, 10:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm just deflecting till BZ's prediction comes true. Based on Crazy Lace's surmise of the town. It's all in good humour.

That's fineBig Grin I just didn't get the Schmedford thing. It didn't bring "schmuck" to my mind.

As a teen, in Grants Pass, we always called it Dreadford... we dreaded going there.
And, of course, "Deadford".
(01-06-2012, 11:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

As a teen, in Grants Pass, we always called it Dreadford... we dreaded going there.

OK why is GP any better? I always thought GP was smaller,poorer and more dumpier Than even schmuckford .
Especially when you get up in the Appalachian outskirtsLaughing
I think people are just acclimated to where they are.
(01-06-2012, 11:14 AM)tvguy Wrote:

OK why is GP any better? I always thought GP was smaller,poorer and more dumpier Than even schmuckford .
Especially when you get up in the Appalachian outskirtsLaughing
I think people are just acclimated to where they are.

Well... one thing is the crime. Just ask BZ about Dreadford's crime rate. Eek! I hear it has gotten pretty bad.
Second... I was a teenager! The last thing I wanted to do was make a trip to "the city" with the family! Rolling Eyes
Grants Pass actually has a Downtown with businesses open, and the freeway doesn't divide the town with a viaduct overhead.
(01-06-2012, 11:29 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Grants Pass actually has a Downtown with businesses open, and the freeway doesn't divide the town with a viaduct overhead.

I would add that I wouldn't be scared to walk our downtown late at night, Medford has areas that is scary to drive through.
All good points but the crime rate has not affected me or anyone I know. I don't know anyone who lives downtown OR who has been affected by all this crime.
As far as the freeway splitting the city and open businesses I can't think of any businesses that I frequent that are down town anyway.
I can see why it's different for some of youSmiling

Edit. I forgot about Sears they're almost downtown and I go there a lot.
(01-06-2012, 11:37 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-06-2012, 11:29 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Grants Pass actually has a Downtown with businesses open, and the freeway doesn't divide the town with a viaduct overhead.

I would add that I wouldn't be scared to walk our downtown late at night, Medford has areas that is scary to drive through.

If you are talking about Talent I would say that it's too small to fairly compare to Meddy or GP.
Didn't I just read about two Hispanic gangs and problems with tagging in Talent?
For outright poverty it's hard to beat out Table Rock Rd. way and all those little roads off of it and the ones off of those.
(01-06-2012, 12:27 PM)PonderThis Wrote: For outright poverty it's hard to beat out Table Rock Rd. way and all those little roads off of it and the ones off of those.

And you mentioned this opinion of yours before only then you admitted that you hadn't been out there in 20 years. I see very little outright poverty in this area now.

But what if there was? What's your point?
(01-06-2012, 11:37 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I would add that I wouldn't be scared to walk our downtown late at night, Medford has areas that is scary to drive through.

I'm just curious as to which areas are 'scary' to drive thru, in your opinion? & why do you think they are scary?
Quote:By JEFF BARNARD
The Associated Press

A 20-year-old man shot and killed by federal marshals in the parking lot of a Medford supermarket had been ordered into residential drug treatment for violating his probation on a conviction for assaulting a marshal.
James Harrison Georgeson admitted to using drugs in violation of his probation last October, according to court records obtained by The Associated Press on Friday. He was also ordered to spend up to 120 days in residential drug treatment. The records don't say whether he complied.
Georgeson served two years in prison after pleading guilty in 2009 to assaulting a marshal.
A pre-sentencing report says Deputy Marshal Vincent Byford was looking for someone else in an apartment in Talent on Oct. 5, 2009, when Georgeson shut himself in a bathroom, then jumped out the window. The deputy chased him to another apartment complex, where Georgeson tackled the deputy and had to be hit three times with a stun gun before he could be handcuffed.
At the jail, Georgeson complained of injuries, and after he was taken to a hospital, bolted when the handcuffs were taken off to transfer him from a gurney to a wheelchair, court documents said.
Georgeson jumped a concrete barrier, breaking his hands and feet in a 30-foot fall, and kept running, trying to commandeer a car before lawmen caught up with him on the patio of a nearby house. A drug test showed cocaine, methamphetamine and ecstasy in his system, the report said.
Marshals said in statement that they were trying to arrest Georgeson on the probation violation Thursday evening in the parking lot of a busy supermarket, when Georgeson started ramming their vehicles with an SUV and marshals shot him.
The Mail Tribune newspaper reported some shoppers shielded the eyes of their children while walking by the body, and others pressed against the crime scene tape to take photos.
Medford Police Chief Tim George said Friday he couldn't say yet how many shots were fired or how many marshals were on the scene. He said he had no evidence that Georgeson was armed.
A photograph by The Mail Tribune newspaper shows at least two bullet holes in the driver side window of the SUV.
George said police will present the results of their investigation to the Jackson County district attorney's office, which will put it before a grand jury for consideration of criminal charges.
Georgeson had a long history of drug abuse and criminal behavior stretching back to his youth, court records said.
Documents filed by a defense lawyer note that the deputy marshal arresting Georgeson in 2009 wasn't injured, and that Georgeson had been treated for mental health problems since the age of 12, when he was made a ward of the court.
The documents also showed that Georgeson was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and finished the 11th grade.

Yep, drugs...

What's to get? Medford schmedford.. Most of the time it just seems more like a Schmedford to me.
But wow, what a crazy situation that was yesterday!