So Long Talent Wal*Mart,
Its been good to know ya.
http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../201070305
By Tony Boom
for the Tidings
Posted: 2:00 AM January 07, 2012

Walmart will close its Talent store the evening before it opens a superstore in south Medford sometime in the fall, a company official said.

"We should know more about the timing of everything closer to the Medford store being finished," said Jennifer Spall, public affairs director for Walmart in Oregon and Washington. "I expect that will be late summer."

The firm does not announce dates until it is within 30 days of an opening or closing.

The store's pending closure prompted the City Council Wednesday to form a committee to explore options for filling the site and to continue talks with the company.

"I'm expecting more phone conversations," Planning Director Mark Knox said at Wednesday's meeting. "What I'm proposing is to actively engage with Walmart. We've had some dialogue."

Spall said she spoke with Mayor Bill Cecil and Knox in October. The firm has worked with officials in other cities to avoid unoccupied buildings.

"We had two stores in Washington that we re-tenanted. We sold them," said Spall. "In Mount Vernon, we worked with the mayor and his economic development director."

Walmart would like to sell the property, but would consider a lease, Spall said. A Walmart real estate division handles sales and leases.

Organizations that have purchased empty Walmart stores include home improvement and craft stores, other retailers, churches and nonprofits, Spall said. Some of the stores have been divided up and used by multiple tenants.

Other city concerns have included maintenance of the site's landscaping, irrigation and building and barriers to discourage trespassing if it is not leased or sold.

"We will work with them on that," said Spall.

Walmart opened the 90,000-square-foot store near Exit 21 on Interstate 5 in 1993. In 2003 it announced plans to close the store in two years before objections delayed construction of the south Medford Superstore.

Knox will be on the city committee along with Cecil, Councilman Sherman Lamb, Councilwoman Teresa Cooke and incoming City Manager Tom Corrigan.

Knox said the committee should focus on developing ideas for the site's use and how to start making pitches to prospective tenants.

Possible strategies might include a market assessment to identify potential users, a master plan showing parking and building scenarios and a city entrance master plan showing features including the Walmart building.

"There's a lot of redesign potential," said Knox. "You could have storefronts on three sides."

Across the country there were 142 vacant Walmarts either for sale or lease in October, according to the website New Rules Project.

Washington and Oregon usually don't have dark stores, said Spall. Currently there is just one in Port Angeles, Wash.

"The problem is the economy and the ability of someone to come and fill that space," said Knox.

Representatives of the Oregon's Economic Development Commission and Southern Oregon Regional Economic Development Inc. have indicated they want to help find tenants, Knox said.

"I'm hoping that Walmart will discuss this with the community," said Cecil. "I think we should look at more than just Walmart. I would like to see us develop an economic development plan."
My home town will now be graced with a 90,000 sq ft White Elephant.
I'll be interested to see how the amateur politicians of Talent handle this.
Not very well, I'd guess.
Too bad. Walmart in Talent was the "Haven" Walmart. Guess everyone knew it was coming though.
The old lady closed the talent truck stop and cafe across Valley View and now this.
Quite the majestic entrance to town.
The city fathers and mothers didn't want any motels or fast food places soiling the entrance to Wellsville, and now they've got their wish big time.
I wonder if a Grocery Outlet would work there. It's a little over 7 miles to the Medford store and they could pull the Ashland folks in from the south. It may be a bit on the large size for a G.O. though...
It will become a White Elephant. Too big for most endeavors, too small for a big box store.
It is also a major source of Talent's tax base, and as such, will really become a burden to the city.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../201180344
"...Shaddox wrote in his report that the department has a "neutral to negative relationship with the citizens of Talent," likely because of grants that focused on traffic, pedestrian, seat-belt and drunken-driving enforcement."
no shit. 1.2 million bucks a year just to catch a few drunk drivers and harass
old folks whose rose bushes exceed 4 feet high.
The loss of revenue from the Wal*Mart is on the city's mind, at least.
Feast or famine.
Wal-Mart has repeatedly done this across the country. They have caused the death of so many smaller downtowns and then close the Wal-Mart, forcing the citizens to drive 30 or 40 or 50 miles to another Wal-Mart because there are no more local stores to do business with.

As the article states, there are 142 empty Wal-Marts sitting across the country, yet business is booming for them.
Buh-Bye to Talent... Hello to Albany. Crazy.
Since there are no sales taxes for the city to collect from retail stores. It should make little difference to the city of Talent.
does Wal*Mart pay the same property tax for a closed store as an open one?
(01-18-2012, 01:45 PM)chuck white Wrote: Since there are no sales taxes for the city to collect from retail stores. It should make little difference to the city of Talent.

Well, not so, if it means a loss of inventory from traffic citations. The only citation I have ever gotten in my life was right there.
(01-18-2012, 05:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote: does Wal*Mart pay the same property tax for a closed store as an open one?

There maybe business license fees, not sure if they are based on the size and type of business. I wonder if they cover the additional cost to the city in the way of road maintenance because of higher traffic, sewage, water etc.