10 Surprising Health Benefits of Beer
Well of the blues.
(01-14-2012, 09:15 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:
(01-13-2012, 08:07 PM)Clone Wrote: Surely the micro brews with real ingredients are better for us than that watered down piss from the Budweiser factory?

I knew there was a reason why I brewed my own.
Yes, I'm a beer snob and real beer has so much more flavor. Not to piss anyone off buy some of you folks need to try good beer. I bet if you tried something different and right for your taste you would like it. I could probably find a micro or a homebrew for you non good beer drinkers.
That Framboise isn't for everyone unless you enjoy sour( it's made that way) and Pilsner Urquell is one of the original Pilsners and one of my favorites. Bud is a Pilsner using rice and not much hop flavor or aroma. I will be brewing a Bohemian Pilsner some time next week.
Homebrew is no longer just sugar,water and bread yeast as someone said a few month back. I brewed a beer yesterday using 7 different malts and 2 types of hops to get the flavor profile I wanted.

You've said that before Homebrew, but not why you feel that way about "some of you folks need to try a good beer.". What exactly are you basing that comment on?

I started just drinking coffee and also at other times Cool-aid. No more alcohol for me.
(01-13-2012, 09:08 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-13-2012, 08:49 PM)Wonky Wrote: I know I'm only a peasant; always will be. Bud is good enough for me. When I lived in San Francisco I often drank Anchor Steam Beer. Then considered the price and went back to Bud which tasted just as good.

I also like Jug wine.

But, I cannot abide cheap Scotch! I like Chaves, (Spelling?), 12 year old, neat. Unless of course someone has some free cheap stuff. Big Grin

That's okay, I won't hold your taste in beers against you; I will still be your friend. Besides scotch makes we want to barf. Single malt or otherwise.
Tell me, seriously, the first few times you drank Scotch, did you like it or force it down?
I can't even force it down.

1st: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". Ben Franklin.

Yea, funny thing about Scotch...It's said it is an acquired taste, and I think that was my experience too. I can't remember just "why" I started drinking it, (All that was available?) but at some point I preferred it to bourbon. And even stranger is that I really do like "better" Scotch, considering that I am a peasant and when choosing beer, wine, hot dogs, cars, most other things, I am not a bit choosy. I could never understand Vodka drinkers...seems like just a way to get drunk while drinking orange or tomato juice.

Last comment about beer. (I promise). I really can't understand how people can drink really dark "porter" type beer. Some of that stuff you have to shake out of the bottle like catsup! I just prefer drinking beer rather than eating it. Wink

(01-15-2012, 11:10 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-13-2012, 08:49 PM)Wonky Wrote: I know I'm only a peasant; always will be. Bud is good enough for me. When I lived in San Francisco I often drank Anchor Steam Beer. Then considered the price and went back to Bud which tasted just as good.

I also like Jug wine.

But, I cannot abide cheap Scotch! I like Chaves, (Spelling?), 12 year old, neat. Unless of course someone has some free cheap stuff. Big Grin

That's okay, I won't hold your taste in beers against you; I will still be your friend. Besides scotch makes we want to barf. Single malt or otherwise.
Tell me, seriously, the first few times you drank Scotch, did you like it or force it down?

Yea, funny thing about Scotch...It's said it is an acquired taste, and I think that was my experience too. I can't remember just "why" I started drinking it, (All that was available?) but at some point I preferred it to bourbon. And even stranger is that I really do like "better" Scotch, considering that I am a peasant and when choosing beer, wine, hot dogs, cars, most other things, I am not a bit choosy. I could never understand Vodka drinkers...seems like just a way to get drunk while drinking orange or tomato juice.

Last comment about beer. (I promise). I really can't understand how people can drink really dark "porter" type beer. Some of that stuff you have to shake out of the bottle like catsup! I just prefer drinking beer rather than eating it. Wink

I like Porters. And malty beers, not hoppy.
(01-15-2012, 11:22 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

I also like Jug wine.

Okay. I'll compromise. When enjoying a pastrami stack on rye with good brown hot mustard, I do enjoy a "darker" beer. Then I like to chase it with a Bud.Razz
(01-15-2012, 01:35 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-15-2012, 11:22 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

I also like Jug wine.

Okay. I'll compromise. When enjoying a pastrami stack on rye with good brown hot mustard, I do enjoy a "darker" beer. Then I like to chase it with a Bud.Razz

(01-13-2012, 08:07 PM)Clone Wrote: Surely the micro brews with real ingredients are better for us than that watered down piss from the Budweiser factory?

Yes, I'm a beer snob and real beer has so much more flavor. Not to piss anyone off buy some of you folks need to try good beer. I bet if you tried something different and right for your taste you would like it. I could probably find a micro or a homebrew for you non good beer drinkers.
That Framboise isn't for everyone unless you enjoy sour( it's made that way) and Pilsner Urquell is one of the original Pilsners and one of my favorites. Bud is a Pilsner using rice and not much hop flavor or aroma. I will be brewing a Bohemian Pilsner some time next week.
Homebrew is no longer just sugar,water and bread yeast as someone said a few month back. I brewed a beer yesterday using 7 different malts and 2 types of hops to get the flavor profile I wanted.

I tried lots of micro brews and usually I don't like them.Too many are too dark , too hoppy or too bitter. One that I do like a lot is Great White. I buy that once in a while.
I have no problem at all drinking watered down piss beerLaughing I fully admit that I drink to get drunk more than for the flavor of beer that costs at least twice as muchBig Grin
(01-15-2012, 09:34 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

You've said that before Homebrew, but not why you feel that way about "some of you folks need to try a good beer.". What exactly are you basing that comment on?
I'm basing that on my 20 years of brewing experience and judging at beer competitions. I have been with folks who say they really "don't like all those micro
brewed beers" until I have pointed them in the right direction based on there likes and dislikes in beer flavors. There are also the very stubborn people that are not willing to try something new. I am very passionate about beers and how they are brewed. Beer needs a balance of flavor's. I don't drink beer just to get drunk although that is one of the its products, I enjoy the complexity of the many beer styles and if you just drink them to get drunk that complexity doesn't mean much.
I'm not trying to put anyone down for the beers they like, Bud is one of the best made beers in the world and I have consumed my share of them but to me it is a beer that lacks complexity. If anyone is interested here is a link to beer style guide lines http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/
cool link.Thanks for that. Smiling
(01-16-2012, 09:51 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:

I'm basing that on my 20 years of brewing experience and judging at beer competitions. I have been with folks who say they really "don't like all those micro
brewed beers" until I have pointed them in the right direction based on there likes and dislikes in beer flavors. There are also the very stubborn people that are not willing to try something new. I am very passionate about beers and how they are brewed. Beer needs a balance of flavor's. I don't drink beer just to get drunk although that is one of the its products, I enjoy the complexity of the many beer styles and if you just drink them to get drunk that complexity doesn't mean much.
I'm not trying to put anyone down for the beers they like, Bud is one of the best made beers in the world and I have consumed my share of them but to me it is a beer that lacks complexity. If anyone is interested here is a link to beer style guide lines http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

So, it was a generalized comment. After my post, TV and Wonk came in and proved me wrong, but I think a lot of folks here on this forum really like decent beers.
[Image: 242842604876653058_sGH8sflU_c.jpg]
(01-16-2012, 12:06 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

So, it was a generalized comment. After my post, TV and Wonk came in and proved me wrong, but I think a lot of folks here on this forum really like decent beers.

Not sure I follow. I like good beers. I just don't mind the much less expensive beer.
If I want to drink something for the taste I'll have apple juice. If I'm out somewhere and I have to drive but I still want a beer I will nurse one or two micro brew beers.
If I'm home and the day is over and I want a buzz I'm perfectly happy with drinking cheap ass Rolling RockBig Grin

To me I think people who claim they drink beer just for the taste are the same ones who say they buy Playboys for the articlesRazz
(01-16-2012, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-16-2012, 12:06 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(01-14-2012, 09:15 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote: I knew there was a reason why I brewed my own.

Not sure I follow. I like good beers. I just don't mind the much less expensive beer.
If I want to drink something for the taste I'll have apple juice. If I'm out somewhere and I have to drive but I still want a beer I will nurse one or two micro brew beers.
If I'm home and the day is over and I want a buzz I'm perfectly happy with drinking cheap ass Rolling RockBig Grin

To me I think people who claim they drink beer just for the taste are the same ones who say they buy Playboys for the articlesRazz

funny thing...I actually like RR.
(01-16-2012, 12:55 PM)Tiamat Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='168923' dateline='1326741936']
[quote='Tiamat' pid='168921' dateline='1326740801']
[quote='Homebrew4u' pid='168904' dateline='1326732660']
[quote='Tiamat' pid='168716' dateline='1326645246']

<Snip>

Me too. But only if it is ICE cold. Some of the IPA's I can drink if not really cold. Damned if I can drink warm Irish beer.
(01-16-2012, 02:04 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(01-16-2012, 12:55 PM)Tiamat Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='168923' dateline='1326741936']
[quote='Tiamat' pid='168921' dateline='1326740801']
[quote='Homebrew4u' pid='168904' dateline='1326732660']
[quote='Tiamat' pid='168716' dateline='1326645246']

<Snip>

Me too. But only if it is ICE cold. Some of the IPA's I can drink if not really cold. Damned if I can drink warm Irish beer.

Because RR are a great summer heat beer. Easy to drink.
Rolling Rock in a can is $1 during Happy Hour (4-7pm) at our favorite Happy Hour hang out. I can't like it. But I stick to Tequila & OJ most of the time.
I don't know, folks.
Being a bartender in a workingman's bar does things to your head.
That stale beer smell and the awful stench of the men's restroom in the morning.
Yuck.
Not to mention beer breath.
I'll take the tinkle of the ice cubes in a cocktail glass any day. Laughing