So, to Get to Burney Falls State Park in CA
I get off 5 at Shasta City and take 89 south instead of going all the way to Redding, right?

This will be in June.
It certainly looks that way on Google maps. Smiling
(01-14-2012, 07:38 PM)Green Wrote: It certainly looks that way on Google maps. Smiling

Yes, it does, I was just wanting to make sure it's not a dirt trail or something. Smiling
I have been wanting to go here for a long time...I finally went to the website and picked a date and reserved the cabin. We're on.
And now I think I may interest some family and friends in sharing the adventure.
w00t!
Now I'm going to look up Lassen to see if there are any hot springs nearby.
Whatever you do, I would NOT recommend Stuart Mineral Springs near Mt Shasta.

15 minutes in their water and an hour later my skin was burning worse than the worst sunburn I've ever had.

That was 3 months ago, and my legs are still not fully recovered.
(01-14-2012, 07:47 PM)Green Wrote: Whatever you do, I would NOT recommend Stuart Mineral Springs near Mt Shasta.

15 minutes in their water and an hour later my skin was burning worse than the worst sunburn I've ever had.

That was 3 months ago, and my legs are still not fully recovered.

Thanks for the heads up, Green!
Ouch!
Looks like there's a resort up there with a warm water pool:
http://www.drakesbad.com/
Although, when folks fly in for a meal, it's usually a little too upscale for us. Laughing
If I had a hot spring on my land, there's quite a few alternative energy things I'd be doing. I've joked about it with every well driller I've ever had drill a well, but nobody ever gives me any encouragement in this country. Smiling

(and, who wants to live in Klamath Falls???)
(01-14-2012, 08:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If I had a hot spring on my land, there's quite a few alternative energy things I'd be doing. I've joked about it with every well driller I've ever had drill a well, but nobody ever gives me any encouragement in this country. Smiling

That's true. In Iceland they have pipes of hot steam and hot water flowing all through the cities for free heat. I've always been intrigued by that.
In Lake County, CA there is a place called Harbin Hot Springs where naked people soak in the hot hot pool, or the warm pool.
We used to close up the bar and sneak in.
Soaking in very warm mineral water, in the dark, looking at the stars is a
very pleasant experience.
I'm not sure why Iceland isn't generating electricity with all that wasted heat, converting it to hydrogen, and exporting it around the planet as the new OPEC. There must be something I'm figuring wrong on that.
(01-14-2012, 08:32 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm not sure why Iceland isn't generating electricity with all that wasted heat, converting it to hydrogen, and exporting it around the planet as the new OPEC. There must be something I'm figuring wrong on that.

I wish your dog was leash trained...I'd be begging you to go camping at Burney Falls with us...or at least your dog. Wink
(01-14-2012, 08:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If I had a hot spring on my land, there's quite a few alternative energy things I'd be doing. I've joked about it with every well driller I've ever had drill a well, but nobody ever gives me any encouragement in this country. Smiling

You have to drill real deep, but eventually you hit heat. Believe me it's down there.

[Image: 2X10-earth-japan.jpg]
But back to Burney Falls:

I stayed there many times when my children were growing. They loved the place.

In my opinion, the trick is to dig out all the interesting places around the falls. The area at the Falls is going to be packed in the summer months.

We all have different views about this stuff, but I'd suggest a drive to Fall River Mills for lunch. Take your time, stop often, and maybe even drive a few secondary roads. Very interesting country.

Hat Creek, is a joy to simply stroll along. There are the Lava Tubes (take a flashlight!...it's self guided). Great place to cool off during a hot summer day.

Burney is a fun town and a great place for an ice cream feast. (Pick up needed/forgotten supplies). A couple of good 'ol country bars too.

We visited Shasta a couple of times. Best to get up early if you plan on seeing much of it. Can be windy and cold no matter the weather "below". My kids did not enjoy it nearly as much as searching for crawdads in Hat Creek.

Another trip the kids liked was to go west from Burney on 299 toward Montgomery Creek and turn right on Big Bend Road. Travel some distance to Big Bend. The river is right there, accessible, and the kids loved it. (Store there for ice cream, beer, etc). Lots of good short hikes in the area, and not heavily used by tourists. (But that was 25 years ago). They tell me trout fishing is good there....ya could have fooled me!

Anyway, great area. Hope all your plans pan out.

PS: If I were doing this, I might start early and get off "eye-five" at Hornbrook and weave my way around to highway 97, then back to Weed. That part of the world looks like an entirely different county.
(01-15-2012, 01:14 PM)Wonky Wrote: But back to Burney Falls:

In my opinion, the trick is to dig out all the interesting places around the falls. The area at the Falls is going to be packed in the summer months.

We all have different views about this stuff, but I'd suggest a drive to Fall River Mills for lunch. Take your time, stop often, and maybe even drive a few secondary roads. Very interesting country.

Hat Creek, is a joy to simply stroll along. There are the Lava Tubes (take a flashlight!...it's self guided). Great place to cool off during a hot summer day.

Burney is a fun town and a great place for an ice cream feast. (Pick up needed/forgotten supplies). A couple of good 'ol country bars too.

We visited Shasta a couple of times. Best to get up early if you plan on seeing much of it. Can be windy and cold no matter the weather "below". My kids did not enjoy it nearly as much as searching for crawdads in Hat Creek.

Another trip the kids liked was to go west from Burney on 299 toward Montgomery Creek and turn right on Big Bend Road. Travel some distance to Big Bend. The river is right there, accessible, and the kids loved it. (Store there for ice cream, beer, etc). Lots of good short hikes in the area, and not heavily used by tourists. (But that was 25 years ago). They tell me trout fishing is good there....ya could have fooled me!

PS: If I were doing this, I might start early and get off "eye-five" at Hornbrook and weave my way around to highway 97, then back to Weed. That part of the world looks like an entirely different county.

I have a distant memory of Fall River Mills...if it's the place I remember, it's one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. There is a view of Mt. Shasta, right?

We're looking forward to it...my youngest is very excited. When he went there, he saw all the trout in Hat Creek, found a straight stick, borrowed some line, a hook and got his limit in two hours. I don't care for fish, much..but if my guys catch a bunch of fat trout I will eat them. As long as they're big enough to clean; I only do filets.

Thanks for the tips, Wonky! We're going in June, hopefully it won't be terribly hot and crowded. w00t!

This is one of those easy bucket list things...everyone I've spoken to RAVES about the beauty of these falls.
(01-15-2012, 01:33 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-15-2012, 01:14 PM)Wonky Wrote: But back to Burney Falls:

I have a distant memory of Fall River Mills...if it's the place I remember, it's one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. There is a view of Mt. Shasta, right?

We're looking forward to it...my youngest is very excited. When he went there, he saw all the trout in Hat Creek, found a straight stick, borrowed some line, a hook and got his limit in two hours. I don't care for fish, much..but if my guys catch a bunch of fat trout I will eat them. As long as they're big enough to clean; I only do filets.

Thanks for the tips, Wonky! We're going in June, hopefully it won't be terribly hot and crowded. w00t!

This is one of those easy bucket list things...everyone I've spoken to RAVES about the beauty of these falls.

Yes, wonderful views of Mt. Shasta when east of Burney.

Great to have something to look forward to. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
(Just a thought, but if you have not been walking much of late, this would be a great time to start doing a bit of that. All the better to enjoy some short hikes while on holiday)
I'd drop a few bucks on the trip through Lassen. I'd picnic at Lake Helen.
(01-15-2012, 03:58 PM)illcommandante Wrote: I'd drop a few bucks on the trip through Lassen. I'd picnic at Lake Helen.

I think we may be there a little too early in the season, illc...we're going in June..but it sure looks beautiful...a bright blue in the middle of some sparse country!

[Image: 240px-Lake_Helen_From_Road.JPG]

The lake is named for Helen Tanner Brodt who in 1864 became the first woman to reach the summit of Lassen Peak.
Since the lake is at a high elevation (over 8,000 feet (2,438 m)), the lake is frozen and covered in deep snow for most of the year. Ice usually forms sometime around October–November and remains until July–August. During winter, Pacific storms come in from the west and bedeck the lake with copious amounts of snowfall. Annual snowfall at the lake is around 600-700 inches (15.24 m-17.78 m), making it the snowiest place in California. The maximum average snow depth for the lake is 178 inches (4.52 m), though sometimes it could reach over 315 in. (8 m).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Helen_(Lassen_Peak)