Favell Museum in Klamath Falls in danger of closing
This place has more arrowheads of more types than I've ever seen gathered together in one place anywhere, from the museum founders personal collection (who died 11 years ago), so, if that sort of thing intrigues you, you might want to check it out (I think this museum has been mentioned on the forum before): http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...falls.html

Excerpt: "A privately funded museum in Klamath Falls showcasing Gene Favell's lifetime collection of Western art and Native American artifacts is in danger of closing.

The Favell Museum's board is looking for new sources of revenue to stay open, The Herald and News reports. The museum currently relies on revenues from admissions, gift shop sales, sales of framed prints, donations and rental of its banquet room.

Museum officials say a nonprofit foundation was formed after Favell's death in 2001. But since then, a leading supporter, window and door manufacturer Dick Wendt, has died, and the recession has made fundraising more difficult.

The museum celebrates its 40th anniversary next month. Its collection features original oil paintings by such artists as Charles M. Russell, as well as about 100,000 Native American artifacts, including obsidian knives and points, clothing, pottery and baskets. One of the museum's prized possessions is an arrowhead made from a fire opal.

Museum curator Pat McMillan said they are working to expand promotion of the museum through the Oregon Tourism Commission and the local organization Discover Klamath. Staff is working with schools to develop lectures and programs that will mesh with subjects that students are studying, said administrator Janann Loetscher.

The museum is also forming a book club about the area's history linked to artifacts on display in the museum."
It is a very nice museum. When I lived there I went there a couple of times.
It's considered a very unique collection (and, it is). I've been there 2 or 3 times over the years. SO, the kinds of things this always makes me wonder is, why was it considered OK for him to collect all these artifacts over his lifetime, and arrange them under glass in quilt patterns, etc., but that sort of thing would be highly frowned on now? I don't think you're even supposed to pick up an arrowhead now, for fear it will disturb historic remains for future generations, yet we're supposed to praise the fact this guy spent his whole life doing essentially that? And, is this display really dignifying to the natives that made this stuff, or would they be turning over in their graves over it - after all, this whole museum is run by white people, not natives. Maybe I think of too many things. Smiling
Times have changed. At the time he was collecting the things it was the norm. And he actually ended up displaying the items rather tastefully, maybe. I do not know all I am doing is guessing.