Fatal (Officer Involved) Shooting in Medford
(01-23-2012, 12:44 PM)BeerMe Wrote: Why is there no responsibility for one's own actions anymore? :wacko:

That's right! I hope the officer(s) involved take responsibility for their actions! A man was apparently KILLED unnecessarily.
I'd like to add:
If an officer can't handle a situation in a calm and rational manner... without shooting to kill unnecessarily... perhaps they need a different occupation.
(01-23-2012, 12:35 PM)Scrapper Wrote: They don't have to shoot to kill. They could have taken him down with a shot to the leg... or shot his hand that was holding the knife. My guess is that he would have dropped it then. Nope. Just kill him. Dry

Scrapper, these aren't expert marksmen, laying in a prone position, using a rifle with a scope, shooting at a stationary target. These officers are shooting at a moving target, with handguns. This isn't the movies. Do you know how difficult it would be to shoot his hand?

"Sorry, Mrs Smith, your husband Office Smith was stabbed to death today because he didn't shoot to stop, he shot to disarm. Our condolences to you and your children. But on the bright side, the young man who stabbed your husband is alive and well and will spend the rest of his life in prison for killing a cop, although he did finally have one of his hands shot off...."

(01-23-2012, 12:49 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'd like to add:
If an officer can't handle a situation in a calm and rational manner... without shooting to kill unnecessarily... perhaps they need a different occupation.

Maybe you should sign up and go do their job. I know I don't want it.
(01-23-2012, 12:51 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 12:35 PM)Scrapper Wrote: They don't have to shoot to kill. They could have taken him down with a shot to the leg... or shot his hand that was holding the knife. My guess is that he would have dropped it then. Nope. Just kill him. Dry

Scrapper, these aren't expert marksmen, laying in a prone position, using a rifle with a scope, shooting at a stationary target. These officers are shooting at a moving target, with handguns. This isn't the movies. Do you know how difficult it would be to shoot his hand?

What? Blink From the yard to the porch? Pffftt. They definitely need a new occupation! Rolling Eyes
(01-23-2012, 12:52 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 12:49 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'd like to add:

Maybe you should sign up and go do their job. I know I don't want it.

Hey... THEY signed up for it. If they aren't UP TO IT... they need to move on.
I'm going to add, I am not happy with the results of these past two incidents. It's just that I think that most of the blame should be pointed at the deceased in BOTH of these cases. Had they both listened to the officers NEITHER of them would have been shot.
(01-23-2012, 12:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 12:51 PM)BeerMe Wrote:

What? Blink From the yard to the porch? Pffftt. They definitely need a new occupation! Rolling Eyes

Yeah, they should wait until he's two feet away. pffttt.Rolling Eyes

Shoot him in the hand. That is funny.
(01-23-2012, 10:54 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:32 AM)BeerMe Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Too bad our cops resort to deadly force so quickly

Exactly.
Yes, the officers should wait until another officer has been stabbed in the face before shooting a suspect.

You are a fucking idiot!

Kammy isn't going to like this. Smiling
I will probably get a warning and deserve it, but if you had not quoted me I would have denied that I blurted out that response. I think I can get the infraction expunged off my RVF record if I apologise and refrain from calling people names for 3 months. Besides, I really do want to apologise to BeerMe. So Beer me, I am sorry.

God what I would give to take a look at TVguy's forum rap sheet.Smiling
BTW, I have done IPSC shooting with my hubby. I know it isn't easy-peasy. If I can use the practice courses... perhaps it should be a requirement for all police officers.
(01-23-2012, 12:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:54 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:32 AM)BeerMe Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Exactly.
Yes, the officers should wait until another officer has been stabbed in the face before shooting a suspect.

You are a fucking idiot!

Kammy isn't going to like this. Smiling
I will probably get a warning and deserve it, but if you had not quoted me I would have denied that I blurted out that response. I think I can get the infraction expunged off my RVF record if I apologise and refrain from calling people names for 3 months. Besides, I really do want to apologise to BeerMe. So Beer me, I am sorry.

A careful reading of the rules reveals you're actually allowed 2 such violations in a rolling 14 day period without any consequences whatsoever (well, a warning, is that a consequence?) and then you're pure as ivory snow again. I told Kam in a pm I considered that practically carte' blanch for most of us. Smiling

p.s. Did we run Fatty Weasel off? What a thankless job that must have been. Smiling
And ten hail Marys.
Listening to the news reports I find some of the tone cautious as we really have only one side at this point.
Taser didn't work. What does that mean
Approached by the victim. Curious term.
They seem to have used the full clip. What I hear doesn't seem to jive with the full clip theory.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I don't mean to second guess the police but with weapons and vests why a full clip. Once he is down the knife is pretty much useless.
Seems more needs to be made public. I don't blame the police for using very cautious language. I would too, but it also suggest that many question are not clear nor are the events of that evening.
(01-23-2012, 12:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Besides, I really do want to apologise to BeerMe. So Beer me, I am sorry.

No worries Cletus. Apology accepted. It's not the first time somebody has called me that and it won't be the last....... and that's just today I'm talking about.

Some people simply want cops (or 911 callers) to die. A man threatens and cops come (too fast? - what if two people died there?). The man then comes at cops with a knife, and they need 18 tazers with 6 or 9 in each hand. And the best of all, they gotta be marksmen like old western fantasies and shoot at knees.

We need Robot cops I guess. Nah, the programmers will be murderers.

As to bringing a knife to a gun fight, logic dictates you drop the knife. This kid had every chance to live, and he chose otherwise.

And the fact that this insane expectation for cops is knee jerk (an initial response) speaks a great deal of the paranoia, and fantasy of people expecting too much of others.

If I point a gun at someone and tell them to drop a knife, they have a choice. This kid had the choice. The choice left for cops is to run away I guess. Luckily, I can shoot.

I wonder how many times a successful apprehension goes without notice?
(01-23-2012, 02:28 PM)Queue Wrote: Some people simply want cops (or 911 callers) to die. A man threatens and cops come (too fast? - what if two people died there?). The man then comes at cops with a knife, and they need 18 tazers with 6 or 9 in each hand. And the best of all, they gotta be marksmen like old western fantasies and shoot at knees.

As to bringing a knife to a gun fight, logic dictates you drop the knife. This kid had every chance to live, and he chose otherwise.

And the fact that this insane expectation for cops is knee jerk (an initial response) speaks a great deal of the paranoia, and fantasy of people expecting too much of others.

If I point a gun at someone and tell them to drop a knife, they have a choice. This kid had the choice. The choice left for cops is to run away I guess. Luckily, I can shoot.

What Queue said.
(01-23-2012, 04:00 PM)Larry Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 02:28 PM)Queue Wrote: Some people simply want cops (or 911 callers) to die. A man threatens and cops come (too fast? - what if two people died there?). The man then comes at cops with a knife, and they need 18 tazers with 6 or 9 in each hand. And the best of all, they gotta be marksmen like old western fantasies and shoot at knees.

What Queue said.

I'll be glad when we get more info.
All things considered, I agree with the above.
But I wonder...only wondering...if this kid was off his nut, really had tough mental problems, does that change the situation?

Sidebar: BEER GUY, good of you to forgive Stinky Feet Clete. You need to know, his wife slaps him around and runs his entire life, his dog will only play with him if Clete ties a pork chop around his neck, and the City of Grants Pass will only allow him in twice a month. (When pink panties are on sale). Embarrassed
We forgive him 'cause this is the only place he can blow off steam. Razz
what makes anyone think this guy was logical? He was obviously in a state of mental distress, thus the original call to the police.
Barney and his bullet are now the norm, not Sheriff Andy and his lucid reasoning of a situation.
(01-23-2012, 04:52 PM)bbqboy Wrote: what makes anyone think this guy was logical? He was obviously in a state of mental distress, thus the original call to the police.
Barney and his bullet are now the norm, not Sheriff Andy and his lucid reasoning of a situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lli9ABUFZCU