Fatal (Officer Involved) Shooting in Medford
From Facebook:

Quote:KDRV NewsWatch 12
UPDATE: We have confirmed it was a fatal, officer involved shooting. An adult male has died. There is a press conference at 4:30 where we hope to learn more.

Followed with:

Quote:KDRV NewsWatch 12
Steven Sandberg is awaiting a press conference on this fatal officer involved shooting --- which is apparently delayed... Once we get more information we will pass it on to you...
http://www.ktvl.com/articles/police-1203...dford.html

Quote:Medford Police Officers shoot and kill an adult Male Sunday afternoon.

Police Chief Tim George says officers were responding to a residence on Summit Avenue and Pennsylvania Street for a disorderly conduct.

George says when officers approached the home, the male came towards officers with a knife.

Police then shot the male.

A press conference is scheduled at Medford Police Station at 4:30 p.m.
don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
News conference.

http://www.ktvl.com/?inter=1
(01-22-2012, 06:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote: News conference.

http://www.ktvl.com/?inter=1

Basically.. guy comes at cops with knife, one cop shoots guy with tasar which didn't work other cop shoots guy with gun.
Too bad, the guy was a young man.
Yup.
(01-22-2012, 06:27 PM)bbqboy Wrote: don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

And don't roller skate in a buffalo heard.
I don't know we know what we think we know. I'll need a little more info. OTOH he didn't throw fried rice at them.
The press conference said he advanced toward them and said said the taser was unsuccessful, deadly force was used.
He did mention the event occurred from the front porch to the lawn...? Victim on porch, police on lawn?
I have way to many questions to think this was justified. Knife against gun.
Rather justified or not it concerns me that citizens are imperiled by those that protect them than from each other.
(01-22-2012, 06:27 PM)bbqboy Wrote: don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
This about sums it up.

My friend would make an excellent cop. He is a trained psychologist and could have talked that kid down. If that did not work, he is also a martial arts instructor and could have taken that knife away. But more importantly, he was a boy scout when he was a teenager and believes in the boy scout motto "Be Prepared." He would have taken a back up taser and a bean bag shotgun with him. Too bad our cops resort to deadly force so quickly, but then many our redneck hillbilly citizens like it when Wyatt Earp shoots the bad guy. Even if the bad is a dumb kid.
(01-23-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Too bad our cops resort to deadly force so quickly

Exactly.
(01-23-2012, 10:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(01-23-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Too bad our cops resort to deadly force so quickly

Exactly.
Yes, the officers should wait until another officer has been stabbed in the face before shooting a suspect.

It's too bad people don't listen to police. I this young man had dropped his weapon and listened to the officers, I'm willing to be he'd still be alive.

(01-23-2012, 10:32 AM)BeerMe Wrote:

Exactly.
Yes, the officers should wait until another officer has been stabbed in the face before shooting a suspect.

Neutral
We didn't learn from the fried rice. We need to hear what other say they saw and heard. Was there an attempt to talk him down? Who if anybody was in the house? Did he leave his porch? Describe in detail how he approached the police? Was he waving or holding the knife? Did he verbally threaten? Was it avoidable? Etc...
I just have to say that I looooove that Cletus is baaaaaack! Big Grin
(01-23-2012, 10:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Exactly.

You are a fucking idiot!

Kammy isn't going to like this. Smiling
(01-23-2012, 10:21 AM)cletus1 Wrote: My friend would make an excellent cop. He is a trained psychologist and could have talked that kid down. If that did not work, he is also a martial arts instructor and could have taken that knife away. But more importantly, he was a boy scout when he was a teenager and believes in the boy scout motto "Be Prepared." He would have taken a back up taser and a bean bag shotgun with him. Too bad our cops resort to deadly force so quickly, but then many our redneck hillbilly citizens like it when Wyatt Earp shoots the bad guy. Even if the bad is a dumb kid.

This happened so quickly, that the "supervisor" hadn't even gotten there before the man was dead. I believe I heard something about it all lasting 2-3 minutes (press conference w/Tim George).

You are right Cletus...they knew from the phone calls that this man was suicidal...they should have been prepared for that...contact should not have been made without a supervisor there, or someone specially trained for these type of circumstances.

I also understand the adrenaline that must have been coursing through the officer's body seeing the knife and the taser attempt failing (we don't even know if the taser had impact, the police are using very inexplicit language regarding the whole affair), the officer jumped straight to deadly force. I think that because of recent events, the police are a bit too edgy...maybe some therapy for the whole force is warranted at this point in order to keep the citizens safe?
B, you make a good point about adrenaline. This is why professionalism is so important. Not second guessing but many citizens use the threat to justify an action. You are not. It is a defining difference.
If the threat assessment is to use lethal force then adrenaline does not factor in to it as you point out. Lethal force without malice will be an issue?
They don't have to shoot to kill. They could have taken him down with a shot to the leg... or shot his hand that was holding the knife. My guess is that he would have dropped it then. Nope. Just kill him. Dry
(01-23-2012, 10:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Exactly.

Neutral

I didn't attack you. I didn't make it personal. But since I don't agree with the "Bad Cops" I'm 'a fucking idiot'? Well, if you say so cletus. Rolling Eyes

I think that the cops have the right to go home to their loved one's at night. I don't think that they should have to wait for someone to be five feet away from stabbing them before they protect themselves. Why is there no responsibility for one's own actions anymore? :wacko: