CENTRAL POINT 4 LANES VS. 3 LANES
Hi All, I have not been on your site for ages but I know that there are a lot of Central Point or used to be on your site. I have been attending some city council meetings and wanted to post this.

PLEASE HELP US AND VOICE YOUR OPINION!
Please help us support downtown Central Point go from a 4 lane hiway thru town to a 3 lane community. The paid engineers have proved it to be safer, more pedestrian friendly and safer for pedestrian crossing. They have proved that the flow of traffic would run smoother and more efficient , NOT backed up like some fear.

Central Point needs your help. Email your support to: phil.messina@centralpointoregon.gov.

Here is my opinion-

The truth be told Central Point downtown does not match who we are as a community. Our downtown makes us all look like a bunch of hicks and we are not! We are a community that cares and we have proved that over and over again. We have been going around and around for 13 years with this project something needs to be done. Our sidewalks are in disarray to say the least, we need a new street light at 2nd street which is a must, someone is going to get killed there. Adding our beautiful petunias have made so many happy but thats just a freckle of what needs to be done. We cannot keep good business's downtown. Many say it's because we don't have the parking well thats not true. We have a great city parking lot downtown, Premier West bank has been more than gracious to allow the community to park in the their parking lot and there is lots of Street Parking. The point is who thinks of going to Central Point, it's just a hiway that goes through town. You don't even have time to look and see what there is too offer. The huge poles in the middle of the sidewalks are unsightly, the traffic is way to fast, the pedestrian traffic is dangerous when crossing the street and it is just plain UGLY. If we have to do improvements and an engineering team has proved that it will run smoothly, safely and efficient then why not finally give Central Point a chance to look like the community we are. WHY NOT!!!!!! Improvements have to be made anyway. Before I die I would love to be able to walk downtown and smile and be proud of Central Point to truly blossom and match the community that it is. Remember NAYSAYERS always speak louder.
(02-01-2012, 08:52 PM)dsinger Wrote: Hi All, I have not been on your site for ages but I know that there are a lot of Central Point or used to be on your site. I have been attending some city council meetings and wanted to post this.

Please help us support downtown Central Point go from a 4 lane hiway thru town to a 3 lane community. The paid engineers have proved it to be safer, more pedestrian friendly and safer for pedestrian crossing. They have proved that the flow of traffic would run smoother and more efficient , NOT backed up like some fear.

Central Point needs your help. Email your support to: phil.messina@centralpointoregon.gov.

Here is my opinion-

The truth be told Central Point downtown does not match who we are as a community. Our downtown makes us all look like a bunch of hicks and we are not! We are a community that cares and we have proved that over and over again. We have been going around and around for 13 years with this project something needs to be done. Our sidewalks are in disarray to say the least, we need a new street light at 2nd street which is a must, someone is going to get killed there. Adding our beautiful petunias have made so many happy but thats just a freckle of what needs to be done. We cannot keep good business's downtown. Many say it's because we don't have the parking well thats not true. We have a great city parking lot downtown, Premier West bank has been more than gracious to allow the community to park in the their parking lot and there is lots of Street Parking. The point is who thinks of going to Central Point, it's just a hiway that goes through town. You don't even have time to look and see what there is too offer. The huge poles in the middle of the sidewalks are unsightly, the traffic is way to fast, the pedestrian traffic is dangerous when crossing the street and it is just plain UGLY. If we have to do improvements and an engineering team has proved that it will run smoothly, safely and efficient then why not finally give Central Point a chance to look like the community we are. WHY NOT!!!!!! Improvements have to be made anyway. Before I die I would love to be able to walk downtown and smile and be proud of Central Point to truly blossom and match the community that it is. Remember NAYSAYERS always speak louder.

I read this and I have no idea what road you are talking about.
Are we talking 3 lanes on Hwy 99, or on Pine St.?

Either way, it will back up traffic. Traffic already backs up on Pine at some points during the day.
Cletus, it is Pine Street. They have hired engineers not just once and they have proved in their study that the 3 lanes will make the traffic more smoothly because you know would have turn lanes and people would have to dart across traffic any longer, plus they would move some traffic lights as well.
(02-01-2012, 08:55 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 08:52 PM)dsinger Wrote: Hi All, I have not been on your site for ages but I know that there are a lot of Central Point or used to be on your site. I have been attending some city council meetings and wanted to post this.

Here is my opinion-

I read this and I have no idea what road you are talking about.

IT IS PINE STREET from hwy 99 or front street to 7th street.
D, you are unending in your efforts. Hmmm, well, I think it would definitely bring the downtown closer together and feel more community like. But, it wouldn't back up traffic? How would it go smoother? It backs up now. The petunia baskets are lovely. What about trees? It does feel hickish there. I often feel it's the width of the street, but also how barren and dull everything looks. No trees? I know towns don't want to plant trees that get too big. Having less lanes would pull it in and give it less of that barren feeling for sure. Trees. Benches. If it were 3 lanes would eating establishments be able to do al fresco dining? In the shade of the aforementioned trees and petunia baskets.

BTW....is the cold weather shelter still going?
(02-01-2012, 08:58 PM)dsinger Wrote: Cletus, it is Pine Street. They have hired engineers not just once and they have proved in their study that the 3 lanes will make the traffic more smoothly because you know would have turn lanes and people would have to dart across traffic any longer, plus they would move some traffic lights as well.

Well there are some strange traffic configurations on Pine street at Second street after Ray's Market. I think they corrected some of it, but middle turn lanes only work well when the traffic is not heavy. Was the traffic study done by ODOT engineers, or the city Engineer?
(02-01-2012, 09:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote: D, you are unending in your efforts. Hmmm, well, I think it would definitely bring the downtown closer together and feel more community like. But, it wouldn't back up traffic? How would it go smoother? It backs up now. The petunia baskets are lovely. What about trees? It does feel hickish there. I often feel it's the width of the street, but also how barren and dull everything looks. No trees? I know towns don't want to plant trees that get too big. Having less lanes would pull it in and give it less of that barren feeling for sure. Trees. Benches. If it were 3 lanes would eating establishments be able to do al fresco dining? In the shade of the aforementioned trees and petunia baskets.

Hi old friend. Well the studies and I have read all of them over and over, the traffic gets so backed up mostly because of the turn lanes. I cannot tell you how many times that I have sat there with 3 people in front of me waiting for someone to turn only to sit through another signal. This will eliminate that. Trees would be added along with new street lights (decorative ones) benches and bistro tables.

No the warming station did not open up this year. I have been working with the homeless on an individual basis.
(02-01-2012, 09:04 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 08:58 PM)dsinger Wrote: Cletus, it is Pine Street. They have hired engineers not just once and they have proved in their study that the 3 lanes will make the traffic more smoothly because you know would have turn lanes and people would have to dart across traffic any longer, plus they would move some traffic lights as well.

Well there are some strange traffic configurations on Pine street at Second street after Ray's Market. I think they corrected some of it, but middle turn lanes only work well when the traffic is not heavy. Was the traffic study done by ODOT engineers, or the city Engineer?

No the city got a grant to pay for qualified engineers. If you go onto the city website it has all of the information and findings.

(02-01-2012, 09:10 PM)dsinger Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 09:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote: D, you are unending in your efforts. Hmmm, well, I think it would definitely bring the downtown closer together and feel more community like. But, it wouldn't back up traffic? How would it go smoother? It backs up now. The petunia baskets are lovely. What about trees? It does feel hickish there. I often feel it's the width of the street, but also how barren and dull everything looks. No trees? I know towns don't want to plant trees that get too big. Having less lanes would pull it in and give it less of that barren feeling for sure. Trees. Benches. If it were 3 lanes would eating establishments be able to do al fresco dining? In the shade of the aforementioned trees and petunia baskets.

Hi old friend. Well the studies and I have read all of them over and over, the traffic gets so backed up mostly because of the turn lanes. I cannot tell you how many times that I have sat there with 3 people in front of me waiting for someone to turn only to sit through another signal. This will eliminate that. Trees would be added along with new street lights (decorative ones) benches and bistro tables.

No the warming station did not open up this year. I have been working with the homeless on an individual basis.

I see. Well, yeah, I guess that would make a difference. Glad you sustain your efforts with the homeless...sorry it didn't work out.

Dsinger... The huge poles in the middle of the sidewalks are unsightly, the traffic is way to fast, the pedestrian traffic is dangerous when crossing the street and it is just plain UGLY. If we have to do improvements and an engineering team has proved that it will run smoothly, safely and efficient then why not finally give Central Point a chance to look like the community we are. WHY NOT!!!!!! Improvements have to be made anyway. Before I die I would love to be able to walk downtown and smile and be proud of Central Point to truly blossom and match the community that it is. Remember NAYSAYERS always speak louder.

I'm not against the three lane idea but I have some questions.

Improvements have to be made anyway

But is the three lane proposal more expensive? and if so is there actually funds for this.

the traffic is way to fast

According to who? Have studies been done or is this your opinion? It never seems to fast to me.

And who are the naysayers and what are their objections?
(02-01-2012, 09:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Dsinger... The huge poles in the middle of the sidewalks are unsightly, the traffic is way to fast, the pedestrian traffic is dangerous when crossing the street and it is just plain UGLY. If we have to do improvements and an engineering team has proved that it will run smoothly, safely and efficient then why not finally give Central Point a chance to look like the community we are. WHY NOT!!!!!! Improvements have to be made anyway. Before I die I would love to be able to walk downtown and smile and be proud of Central Point to truly blossom and match the community that it is. Remember NAYSAYERS always speak louder.

But is the three lane proposal more expensive? and if so is there actually funds for this.

According to who? Have studies been done or is this your opinion? It never seems to fast to me.

The city will be making changes as the sidewalks are really bad have not been replaced and in much need of help to say the least. Some of the poles are so big and take up valuable realestate on the sidewalks, its even hard for someone in a wheel chair.

No the traffic too fast is not my opinion it's just about everyones, but thats what the study reads as well. It is a 20 year projection. Part of the project will be paid with urban renewal dollars and some with grants.
(02-01-2012, 09:27 PM)dsinger Wrote:
(02-01-2012, 09:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Dsinger... The huge poles in the middle of the sidewalks are unsightly, the traffic is way to fast, the pedestrian traffic is dangerous when crossing the street and it is just plain UGLY. If we have to do improvements and an engineering team has proved that it will run smoothly, safely and efficient then why not finally give Central Point a chance to look like the community we are. WHY NOT!!!!!! Improvements have to be made anyway. Before I die I would love to be able to walk downtown and smile and be proud of Central Point to truly blossom and match the community that it is. Remember NAYSAYERS always speak louder.

The city will be making changes as the sidewalks are really bad have not been replaced and in much need of help to say the least. Some of the poles are so big and take up valuable realestate on the sidewalks, its even hard for someone in a wheel chair.

No the traffic too fast is not my opinion it's just about everyones, but thats what the study reads as well. It is a 20 year projection. Part of the project will be paid with urban renewal dollars and some with grants.

It sounds good to me but you didn't say who is against this or why.
Believe it or not I was there many years ago and I put some of those poles in the side walkLaughingLaughing
(02-01-2012, 09:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Believe it or not I was there many years ago and I put some of those poles in the side walkLaughingLaughing
lol, Well It's not really important who the naysayers are everyone has the right to their own opinion. But thats why they hired the engineers something that they have expertise in, the rest is our opinions .
(02-01-2012, 09:44 PM)dsinger Wrote:

lol, Well It's not really important who the naysayers are everyone has the right to their own opinion. But thats why they hired the engineers something that they have expertise in, the rest is our opinions .

I just wondered what the objections were. I'm sure I'll find out sooner or laterSmiling

Oh and shame on you about those poles, lol. Just yanking your chain.

(02-01-2012, 09:52 PM)dsinger Wrote:

Oh and shame on you about those poles, lol. Just yanking your chain.
Laughing

But isn't the posted speed in that stretch 25 or less?
why should anyone go to CP anyway, other than to Rogue Creamery and Lillebelle?
(02-01-2012, 10:26 PM)bbqboy Wrote: why should anyone go to CP anyway, other than to Rogue Creamery and Lillebelle?

Or get to the freeway, or fairgrounds, fun center ( I never go there) or events at the fairgrounds. the ponds, the trails, or to the airport or the East side of Medford or the airport, costco, walmart, food 4 less, jackson ville or west medford....all those are on the grid out of town To Jewet, Mae Richardson, to Table Rock RCC. Heck. To Touvelle! and the Table Rocks. and the Tavern!!

The point is, CP is a transway to other areas. Lillibelles and the rogue Creamery should step up their games.