Saving the Brick and Mortars our Nation is Built on
[Image: home_background_v3a_17.jpg][Image: home_background_v3a_18.jpg][Image: home_background_v3a_19.jpg][Image: home_background_v3a_20.jpg]

http://www.the350project.net/home.html
(02-01-2012, 11:54 PM)Clone Wrote: http://www.the350project.net/home.html

This image doesn't display right on my screen, so that might be why this thread didn't get any response. And, the link wasn't clickable (must have been the color or the bold font). Still, you're a trusted poster, so I went to their site to read it.

I'm not sure if I agree with their sentiment however. Southern Oregon has historically been one of the hardest places in the world to get a fair price on anything at, it's almost like local merchants have known they "gotcha". Almost anyone else almost anywhere else in the world has had better prices than these local merchants. I've found the only way to get fair deals on cars is to invoke Portland car dealer prices, and the only fair way to buy anything else is by mail order. (Plus, far too often, the local merchants won't have it in stock and will have to order it too, whereas if I do that part myself I get it cheaper plus shipped to my door to boot.)

I dare say the internet, mail order shopping, and big box retailers are the only things that have worked to change that.

OK, you might have a good point to buy locally, in that it supports local jobs. But speaking as a long time Southern Oregon resident, I can certainly see another side to this, too. Smiling
[Image: screen-shot-2012-01-04-at-10-32-44-am.png?w=584&h=755]
Where exactly is an "independent store" that has the stuff I but at Lowes, Big R or Costco?
Tiamat...thanks so much. I tried to paste the thing up in sections...it looks GREAT on MY screen. You got the whole thing in there.

As far as the sentiment expressed, it only makes sense.
Once in a while, we have to step out of the box and do things because it's the right thing to do.

I don't want our retail landscape to consist of only big box stores. I can envision the day when WalMart gets it all tied up, has eliminated competition through cheap foreign goods...then we are only going to have the choice of what they offer AND at what price.

I look at JCPenney's latest move; it saddens me. They are struggling to compete with WalMart..and WalMart WILL win.

I once read a gentleman lament that before WalMart came to town, there were three places one could buy a bicycle. Eventually, it ended up being WalMart was the only place to buy a bicycle. Then Walmart closed down and the people of his town had to drive 40 miles to get a bicycle.

If you read the poster, it only asks to pick 3 local stores and pick a little something up. It's not asking a lot. Smiling Wink

Thanks again, Tiamat!
(02-02-2012, 10:30 AM)tvguy Wrote: Where exactly is an "independent store" that has the stuff I but at Lowes, Big R or Costco?

What? Why would you need to buy anything of that kind. Just start digging in that swamp of a shed where you "store" stuff. I heard you have a can of "hand made" nails. You might want to actually "place" things there by the way, rather than opening the door and slinging it over the hump and to the back. Laughing