Japan quake studies suggest harder jolt to Pacific NW possible
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46455027/ns/...eattle_wa/

Excerpt: "Scientists are still unraveling last year's giant Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and some of what they're finding doesn't bode well for the Pacific Northwest.

Detailed analyses of the way the Earth warped along the Japanese coast suggest that shaking from a Cascadia megaquake could be stronger than expected along the coasts of Washington, Oregon and British Columbia, researchers reported Sunday at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

"The Cascadia subduction zone can be seen as a mirror image of the Tohoku area," said John Anderson, of the University of Nevada..."
So, of course, the banner ads above your post regarding earthquakes are:

Survival Food Supplies 25 Year Shelf Life Free Stove / Free Shipping MyFoodStorage.com

Want Survival Kits? Buy Top Quality Survival Kits Good for 5 Years. Buy Direct & Save www.QuakeKare.com

Laughing Rolling Eyes Confused
(02-20-2012, 03:20 PM)Clone Wrote: So, of course, the banner ads above your post regarding earthquakes are:

Survival Food Supplies 25 Year Shelf Life Free Stove / Free Shipping MyFoodStorage.com

Want Survival Kits? Buy Top Quality Survival Kits Good for 5 Years. Buy Direct & Save www.QuakeKare.com

That's funny because mine wants me to "Earn A Relevant & Marketable Degree At DeVry University. Apply Today!"

What do I need a new degree for if I'm going to fall into the Pacific anyway, am I right?

But then I think, hey, maybe a degree in swimming would be handy.
(02-20-2012, 03:27 PM)Green Wrote: That's funny because mine wants me to "Earn A Relevant & Marketable Degree At DeVry University. Apply Today!"

What do I need a new degree for if I'm going to fall into the Pacific anyway, am I right?

In the early 70's, my late husband and I, stoned Haight Asbury hippies, took the threat of California falling into the ocean very seriously. Wow man. Heavy.

We 'studied' a safe place to escape to. We stumbled across some info saying there are, like, 5 safe places on the earth. Some kind of apexes, I don't exactly remember. Surprise, surprise.

Anyway, Gold Hill, Oregon was named as one of those five safe spots. It was written that Gold Hill is on solid bedrock and impervious to calamity.

That brought us north, but we didn't buy in Gold Hill, we bought out on Dutcher Creek Road in Grants Pass.

I know, makes a lot of sense. Laughing
(02-20-2012, 03:34 PM)Clone Wrote: We stumbled across some info saying there are, like, 5 safe places on the earth. Some kind of apexes, I don't exactly remember.

Vortex's? Laughing

Ever been to the Southern Oregon Vortex, I think they call it, out on Sardine Creek Rd.? Laughing
EDIT: Or is that the House of Mystery? If so, same thing.
As long as the crust floats on the magma.
I hope it never becomes more dense than the magma.
I would hope that all of these smaller quakes we have been having on the West Coast would be relieving some of the pressure. I remember only two quakes when I was living in Oregon. The one that hit the Brookings area in the 60's and one that hit when I was still in CP some 20 odd years later. After living in this area for the past 18 years I rarely notice them anymore but know that a big one could hit any time.
(02-20-2012, 08:57 PM)imaham Wrote: I would hope that all of these smaller quakes we have been having on the West Coast would be relieving some of the pressure. I remember only two quakes when I was living in Oregon. The one that hit the Brookings area in the 60's and one that hit when I was still in CP some 20 odd years later. After living in this area for the past 18 years I rarely notice them anymore but know that a big one could hit any time.

That what I said about the boiler, after a couple of the rivets popped, just relieving pressure.
(02-20-2012, 08:57 PM)imaham Wrote: I would hope that all of these smaller quakes we have been having on the West Coast would be relieving some of the pressure. I remember only two quakes when I was living in Oregon. The one that hit the Brookings area in the 60's and one that hit when I was still in CP some 20 odd years later. After living in this area for the past 18 years I rarely notice them anymore but know that a big one could hit any time.

Its a good thought and probably true to a certain extent, but there are always multiple quakes per week every week just in the area around the 9.0 last year. There was 20 in the last seven days from 4.5 to 6.0 in and around the same area.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/r...140_35.php
Check this link out too, it contains data gathered since the 3/11/2011. I didn't know the 9.0 caused some massive slabs of ice to calve from the Sulzberger Ice Shelf, Antarctica.... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...p/#summary
I looked a long time and chose carefully. And now, the farms around me are being illegally cut up. I get pollution from Beijing. I did avoid the tsunami zone, but there's an active volcano coming after me. And then, on cloudy rainy days, the jets from K.Falls arrive to make a lot of noise to hide the test of the ICBMs engines.
(02-23-2012, 06:59 AM)illcommandante Wrote: I looked a long time and chose carefully. And now, the farms around me are being illegally cut up. I get pollution from Beijing. I did avoid the tsunami zone, but there's an active volcano coming after me. And then, on cloudy rainy days, the jets from K.Falls arrive to make a lot of noise to hide the test of the ICBMs engines.

I have lately noticed some press coverage of the super volcanoes being under-estimated by the geologists. It seems that some of the evidence points to eruptions being more common than thought.
I don't have the time to look it all up this morning so I'm making this vague.Laughing
That thing in Yellowstone is MASSIVE.
(02-20-2012, 03:27 PM)Green Wrote:
(02-20-2012, 03:20 PM)Clone Wrote: So, of course, the banner ads above your post regarding earthquakes are:

That's funny because mine wants me to "Earn A Relevant & Marketable Degree At DeVry University. Apply Today!"

Mine is for survival supplies (the ad at the top of the page.). All I can really say I have is about 3 days worth of water and whatever is in the cupboard.
Water, toilet paper, sugar, flour, lard, beans, and rice.
(02-23-2012, 10:00 PM)chuck white Wrote: Water, toilet paper, sugar, flour, lard, beans, and rice.

Lots? Or an average amount in a cupboard?
Box up has much as you can afford and store. your kitchen should have just an average amount of normal food.
(02-23-2012, 10:29 PM)chuck white Wrote: Box up has much as you can afford and store. your kitchen should have just an average amount of normal food.

Personally, I've learned not to go overboard on boxing and storing....I don't eat much processed foods, hardly anything canned or preboxed or prepared. So, then that creates the problem of rotating. You can't rotate something that isn't part of your diet.
(02-23-2012, 10:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 10:29 PM)chuck white Wrote: Box up has much as you can afford and store. your kitchen should have just an average amount of normal food.

Personally, I've learned not to go overboard on boxing and storing....I don't eat much processed foods, hardly anything canned or preboxed or prepared. So, then that creates the problem of rotating. You can't rotate something that isn't part of your diet.

Processed food?
OK I'll give you the toilet paper is processed.

So do you buy un-processed beans and rice?
I guess you could store bales of wheat. shuck them and grind the wheat berry when you need too.

Do you make your sugar from beets or cane?
(02-23-2012, 10:48 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Processed food?
OK I'll give you the toilet paper is processed.

So do you buy un-processed beans and rice?
I guess you could store bales of wheat. shuck them and grind the wheat berry when you need too.

Do you make your sugar from beets or cane?

Let's see....I doubt I use a 5 pound bag in a year. Still, I have an extra bag. An extra bag of flour, oil, salt, beans, oats and rice. Still, I don't go through them very fast. Do you know that if you have dried beans and they get very old, no amount of reconstituting will make them edible. I imagine that would be the case with wheat berries also.
btw, freeze everything you buy for 72 hours or you get weevils and lose whatever you have.

Tell me about it...and I don't know if hubby and I could eat a 50 pound bag of brown rice before it went bad..even if we had a place to store it!
(02-23-2012, 10:55 PM)Clone Wrote:

Tell me about it...and I don't know if hubby and I could eat a 50 pound bag of brown rice before it went bad..even if we had a place to store it!

I'm just trying to find the way to "Be prepared" in a way that is reasonable and actually practical and not just throwing money away, because it isn't something that gets consumed and so, can't be rotated. You can buy giant bags of rice, oats, grains, flours, beans and such at food 4 less. But.....what would I do with them? Can't put 25 pounds of rice in my freezer even for a day...!