"The Fox Effect"
(02-22-2012, 05:04 PM)imaham Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:36 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:25 PM)imaham Wrote: Odd. You don't understand that anarchists have co-opted the Occupy movement?

That is so obvious. It must be just a small splinter cell that is raping, throwing feces and urine, defacing property, selling drugs etc. It was there from the start and it is what occupy is.

While I would somewhat agree that it is what Occupy is perceived to be, I don't think it is what Occupy was in it's infancy nor do I think that it is what Occupy wants to be recognized for.

Essentially the original Tea Party movement was taken over in the same way. In that case, it wasn't anarchists but big corporate interests and radical religious entities that were responsible.

I think you are on to something (And we thought the California air had poised your brain Razz)
I wonder if any grass roots outfit can stay true to it's founding? I swear there are "big rich hawks" out there waiting to swoop down and take them over.
I paid annual dues to "Common Cause" for years. I sincerely thought it was a unbiased outfit interested in overseeing government. Of late, it has become obviously more left than center.
I'm now tempted to just send money to Bernie Maddoff so he can buy cigars in jail. At least I'll know my money is making someone happy.
(02-22-2012, 06:31 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 05:04 PM)imaham Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:36 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(02-22-2012, 04:25 PM)imaham Wrote: Odd. You don't understand that anarchists have co-opted the Occupy movement?

That is so obvious. It must be just a small splinter cell that is raping, throwing feces and urine, defacing property, selling drugs etc. It was there from the start and it is what occupy is.

While I would somewhat agree that it is what Occupy is perceived to be, I don't think it is what Occupy was in it's infancy nor do I think that it is what Occupy wants to be recognized for.

Essentially the original Tea Party movement was taken over in the same way. In that case, it wasn't anarchists but big corporate interests and radical religious entities that were responsible.

I think you are on to something (And we thought the California air had poised your brain Razz)
I wonder if any grass roots outfit can stay true to it's founding? I swear there are "big rich hawks" out there waiting to swoop down and take them over.
I paid annual dues to "Common Cause" for years. I sincerely thought it was a unbiased outfit interested in overseeing government. Of late, it has become obviously more left than center.
I'm now tempted to just send money to Bernie Maddoff so he can buy cigars in jail. At least I'll know my money is making someone happy.

It is pretty sad Wonk. So many of these movements start out with good intentions but generally it isn't long before they are infiltrated either by big money or other devious interests.
We had a pretty good devout group that assembled here in the early days of occupy. They set up shop by the courthouse and like the early tea party people, took care of business and cleaned up after themselves. It wasn't long before a rather large group of homeless people decided that the Occupy camp looked pretty good and moved in with the predictable results of drugs, unsanitary conditions and some general chaos that had the police visiting them pretty often. Then the anarchists came in and took over a vacant bank building thinking it would be a great place to hang out and take care of business. It was spacious, they figured out how to barricade it and it had electricity, running water and bathrooms. Didn't take long before they ruined things too. All the time, the local paper was attributing it to the local Occupy group.
I have said many times that what both of these movements need is good leadership, a lack of outside influence and a dedication to their purpose. I feel that both movements have some good and reasonable issues that they are trying to solve but it just seems to never gel.

A shame, actually.