'I am sorry that the dog died'
http://www.kval.com/news/local/You-poiso...42393.html

[Image: COURT+SENT+2.jpg]

Excerpt: "A Douglas County, Ore., couple convicted of killing their neighbor's dog with anti-freeze was sentenced Thursday afternoon to six months in jail.

Bernard and Mitzi Daugherty were found guilty of aggravated animal abuse last week.

During his testimony, Bernard admitted to trying to kill the dogs that were defecating in his yard.

Before sentencing Thursday, he apologized. "I am sorry that the dog died," he told the judge. "I felt under attack your honor. I could not feel emotion when we were being attacked."

Judge Bill Marshal could only impose 10 days in jail on the felony charge of animal abuse because of state guidelines, but he did give the Daugherty's six months behind bars for criminal mischief, which is a misdemeanor.

The judge noted the manner in which the dog died. "Fairly egregious," Marshal said. "This is not just a situation where somebody just shoots down a dog that they think is running on their land, but you poisoned a dog and you made that dog suffer."

The Daugherty's are banned from owning an animal for 15 years, and they must pay $599 restitution to Debra Ballard for vet bills.

Bernard and Mitzi will have to report to jail on Monday, but Judge Marshall did leave the option open to the sheriff to have them placed under house arrest instead of jail."
They got off way too easy. Mad
(02-24-2012, 11:36 AM)Scrapper Wrote: They got off way too easy. Mad

What do you think the punishment should have been? Six months is some rotten jail would seem like a lifetime.
Although if someone did that to my dog I would probably beat them senselessLaughing
I wonder though, how often were these dogs on this mans property and if he had repeatedly asked the neighbors to keep them away.
I'm not saying he had any excuse for what he did but if I had let MY dog crap in someone else's yard over and over I would feel partly responsible.
I have a big problem with people who have pets and don't take care, discipline or manage them properly. And there are a LOT of pet owners like that.
Scoop the poop and put it on the dog owner's porch.
Why I don't live in town.
It doesn't side like good times at the Saddle Butte Mobile Manor......
[Image: kpic+051111+not+wanted+sign.jpg]

http://www.kpic.com/news/121664814.html

Quote:Andrea Hughes, a nearby resident told KPIC News, "They need to be shown that what they did was very, very wrong. Jail time, fine, whatever it takes to get it in their head that what they was not OK, and this entire neighborhood is not OK with it."

KPIC News went to the Daugherty's home to get their side of the story. Several members of the community were there and told the couple how they felt.

The Daugherty's said they haven't done anything wrong. Someone in the crowd asked Bernard, "Sir, do you feel like you owe someone an apology for the dog dying?"

He replied, "Absolutely not. Under no circumstances.
(02-24-2012, 11:32 AM)PonderThis Wrote: http://www.kval.com/news/local/You-poiso...42393.html

[Image: COURT+SENT+2.jpg]

The look on her face appears to be one of disbelief. I don't think that either one of them thought that they would get in any real trouble for killing the dog. I'm glad they got some punishment. Wouldn't have minded seeing the time doubled.
(02-24-2012, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote:

What do you think the punishment should have been? Six months is some rotten jail would seem like a lifetime.
Although if someone did that to my dog I would probably beat them senselessLaughing
I wonder though, how often were these dogs on this mans property and if he had repeatedly asked the neighbors to keep them away.
I'm not saying he had any excuse for what he did but if I had let MY dog crap in someone else's yard over and over I would feel partly responsible.
I have a big problem with people who have pets and don't take care, discipline or manage them properly. And there are a LOT of pet owners like that.

Chances are they won't do any jail time. The article did state:
"Judge Marshall did leave the option open to the sheriff to have them placed under house arrest instead of jail."
House arrest in the trailer park might not work out too well either.
(02-24-2012, 12:44 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

"Judge Marshall did leave the option open to the sheriff to have them placed under house arrest instead of jail."

Well yeah I know, but I was responding to your comment that they "got off way too easy" and I assume you meant six months in jail was way too easy.
It's odd that they were too stupid to keep their mouths shut. Apparently they both admitted guilt. I mean,he could have taken the fall for her.
They were caught pretty much red handed. An earlier story told how the dog was dead or dying at the vets office and when they got home and started looking around to see how their dog might have gotten into antifreeze, they looked next door and saw 2 gallon milk jugs with their tops cut off and a green liquid inside, one of them with something that looked like tuna fish added, and the wife trying to clean the mess up - all of which they got on film. Later this couple defended their actions (saying something to the effect they weren't sorry a bit) when the trailer park mob showed up to talk to them. There wasn't much denying this one.
Honestly, I can relate to the frustration around the dog poop.

Does that excuse a slow painful death for the dog? HELL no...the dog was just doing what comes naturally...the dog's owner should have gotten the anti-freeze!
No, not really, but this is a very sad story all around.

They now have to live in an enclosed little community where they are reviled and shunned...and everyone for miles around is going to take their dog there to do it's business.

They accomplished nothing but suffering and death for an animal and a whole lot of trouble for themselves.

I'm with TV on this...what should they sentence of been?
Absolutely unforgivable to poison the dog!
As if the dog is guilty.
Dogs poop where they are allowed to poop.

Owners are responsible for the dog (obviously).

This is so simple. The offended neighbor tells the dog owner twice that he won't tolerate the dog pooping on his property.
The third time he makes the dog owner accept responsibility.
Personally, I don''t pay lawyers and would make the guy "an offer he could not refuse".

To poison a innocent animal is so offensive that jail time is absurd. This couple should be required to do 1,000 hours of community service at a shelter.

I hope these people are shunned by this community. Only true repentance should allow them back into society.
(02-24-2012, 07:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I'm with TV on this...what should they sentence of been?

(02-24-2012, 12:44 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Working at the animal shelter cleaning out the dog pens would be an
interesting sentence. Looks like the Lady could do with some walking on a litter crew too. An angry trailer park mob....sort of like in Young Frankenstein?
I'd have liked to have seen that.
(02-25-2012, 08:41 AM)bbqboy Wrote: An angry trailer park mob....sort of like in Young Frankenstein?
I'd have liked to have seen that.

Wish granted: Click the video link on this page (an earlier story, from before the trial): http://www.kval.com/news/local/121664814...=video&c=y

(I hope you get the same flooring commercial first I did, it's pretty funny too.)
It's such a sticky situation but in the video the lady who had the dog goes on saying the couple are irresponsible when it IS her fault shit was showing up everywhere.
They should have got a golf club and played a few strokes to clean their yard.