A STRONG WINTER STORM WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION TUESDAY AFTERNOON
AND EVENING. THE COLD FRONT WILL INITIALLY BRING VERY STRONG
WINDS TO THE COAST TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...WITH WINDS OF
40 TO 50 MPH WITH GUSTS GREATER THAN 60 MPH POSSIBLE. AS THE FRONT
MOVES ONSHORE...STRONG WINDS WILL ALSO DEVELOP IN THE SHASTA
VALLEY AND EAST OF THE CASCADES. THE SHASTA VALLEY WILL SEE SOUTH
WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH TUESDAY NIGHT...WHILE THE EAST
SIDE WILL EXPERIENCE SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60
MPH TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING.

AS THE STORM MOVES ONSHORE IT WILL BRING VERY HEAVY PRECIPITATION TO
THE REGION. RAINFALL TOTALS IN EXCESS OF 4 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN
THE COAST RANGE OF EXTREME SOUTHWEST OREGON TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

SNOW LEVELS WILL INITIALLY BE 2500 TO 3000 FEET...DROPPING TO
AROUND 1500 FEET WEDNESDAY MORNING. SNOW AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF A
FOOT ARE EXPECTED IN THE MOUNT SHASTA AREA AS WELL AS THE SISKIYOUS
AND THE CASCADES TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY. TOTAL SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS MAY EXCEED 2 FEET ABOVE 4500 FEET AROUND MOUNT
SHASTA AND IN THE SISKIYOUS.
Time to batten down the hatches. We've had very little winter weather and now winter has decided to say hello just prior to the arrival of spring. Funny. Right.
(02-27-2012, 05:31 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Time to batten down the hatches. We've had very little winter weather and now winter has decided to say hello just prior to the arrival of spring. Funny. Right.

Kinda like last year. The motorcycle is parked in the garage for the duration... Crying
(02-27-2012, 05:31 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Time to batten down the hatches. We've had very little winter weather and now winter has decided to say hello just prior to the arrival of spring. Funny. Right.

Are you home? You said this would happen.....
Bad weather is better than no weather at all.
(02-27-2012, 06:13 PM)chuck white Wrote: Bad weather is better than no weather at all.

I agree.
I love 'weather events'.
I heard the other day that if the Sun were to suddenly explode, we would have 8 minutes before we are vaporized. It's good to know we have that extra time....
(02-27-2012, 06:17 PM)Larry Wrote: I heard the other day that if the Sun were to suddenly explode, we would have 8 minutes before we are vaporized. It's good to know we have that extra time....

But we wouldn't know for 8 minutes if it did explode.
So you won't have any time to do anything about it.

Like not hearing the bullet that kills you.

A lot of the "Snow Days" in the past have been in February. It's not A typical.

http://www.rogueweather.com

Today's Forecast - 2/28/2012

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHWEST OREGON AND NORTHERN CALIFORNIA FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1000 FEET FROM 4 PM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH 4 AM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

Mostly to partly cloudy this morning with increasing clouds and wind by afternoon. Rain begins late this afternoon in the valleys with snow above 2500 feet. Winds could gust to near 30 miles an hour in the valleys and 40 in the mountains. Highs today will be upper 40s for the valleys, with 30s for the mountains.

TONIGHT - WINTER STORM CONDITIONS!

Snow heavy at times above 2000 feet before 2 am, and then snow levels drop to near or on the valley floors. Snow accumulations of up to 20 inches in the Cascades and a foot or more for the Siskiyous above 2500 feet. Snow accumulations of 4 - 8 inches between 1500 feet and 2500 feet, and 1 - 4 inches of snow possible from 500 - 1500 feet. Winds will be strong tonight and into Wednesday morning with gusts of up to 60 miles an hour or more above 2500 feet, and up to 40 - 50 miles an hour in the valleys.

Expect dangerous whiteout conditions in the mountains, and blizzard conditions with sustained winds of 50 miles an hour or more and heavy snow are possible. TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHERN OREGON AND NORTHERN CALIFORNIA TONIGHT AND THROUGH WEDNESDAY AT NOON.

The short term situation through Thursday is pretty well spelled out above. This is a MAJOR storm about to hit us, and it is possible we will be talking about it for years to come.

As is always the case when snow levels are forecast to hit the valley floors, the conversation becomes how much? That is a question that just cannot be answered. The reason is all the micro climates of the valley. The best that can be done is to talk about the potential, or what is possible. That is exactly what I have done. The possibility is for up to 4 inches of snow to fall on Medford and the other lower elevation cities of the valley. Does that mean that it will? I just do not know yet. We have seen time and again were forecasts were issued calling for up to say 3 inches of snow, and then nothing accumulated at all.

The system coming in has all the ingredients needed to create widespread low elevation accumulating snow. We will see if it does. In the meantime, be ready for what is possible, and with this storm significant accumulations ARE possible down on the valley floors including Medford and Grants Pass.

The conditions improve on Thursday dramatically as we get into the follow on showers, and snow levels will still be low, but rising to around 2000 feet. Any additional accumulations on Thursday would be light of about 2 inches or less. Friday will be cloudy still....but even drier with just a slight chance for showers. The weekend is actually looking VERY sunny and we could be flirting with 60 degree temps. But looking out ahead to next week....another winter storm is pulling it's act together and could arrive over us by late in the day on Monday.

The Road Condition page has been updated to let you know what is happening. Literally the calm before the storm this morning. A few highways reporting packed snow, but otherwise it is spots of ice as the issue of the morning. I think by now you know what is coming starting this afternoon. Conditions will deteriorate rapidly and travel will not be recommended tonight. See the road condition page for the full details and impacts likely.

It's snowing here now.
Yep, we got home on Sunday. It's a good thing the DH was on a maniacal roll because we'd have been going through the Grapevine in CA on Monday - yesterday - and it was CLOSED due to snow.
Next year we thought we'd go in late January and come home late March/early April. That way we won't have angst about weather while traveling.
Larry's motorcycle is in the garage and so is my bike. Waaaa. Maybe we'll make their acquaintance again in another few weeks....
Hang in there, everybody.
I rely on Ryan's weather page. My barometer was falling and is on the rise. I have been chart recording the air pressure. Last Friday around 3:00 pm it started to fall fast. By seven it was windy and raining.
http://www.ryanweather.com/
As mentioned above this is a storm that has the potential to create hazardous driving conditions for all of us in the Rogue Valley. Given the current trajectory of the front and the cold overnight temperatures this a perfect combination for a significant snow event. The total snow accumulations will ultimately depend on just how much the southwest winds in advance of the front scour out the cold air trapped at the surface. Some more sheltered areas in the valley will see only snow while areas exposed to the winds will see a rain/snow mix. This is why determining snow totals is very difficult as one area could see 1-2 inches and another three miles away will see 5-8" inches.
(02-28-2012, 10:40 AM)Larry Wrote: http://www.rogueweather.com
Today's Forecast - 2/28/2012

Iv'e used this site since you first posted it. I like it for the more thorough, but still easy to understand reports he gives.

So? Who has snow? And how much? Anyone going to share photos?

We have trace amounts... nothing on the road.
It was raining hard at 5:45am when I got up.
Snowing huge flakes right now at 7:20am.

[Image: MyrtleCreekN_pid507.jpg?0.533424]

[Image: I-5%20NB%20at%20Hugo_pid1634.jpg?0.533424]

[Image: Siskiyou%20I-5%20SB%20at%20MP.2_pid1685.JPG?0.533424]

No snow in Talent/Phoenix area Wednesday at 8:00 am. Bare pavement.
For as hard as it was snowing last night, I have pathetically little. I feel cheated. About 2-3" I would guess.
I-5 closed at Canyonville and Ashland