Red meat is blamed for one in 10 early deaths
Quote:Small quantities of processed meat such as bacon, sausages or salami can increase the likelihood of dying by a fifth, researchers from Harvard School of Medicine found. Eating steak increases the risk of dying by 12%.

The study found that cutting the amount of red meat in peoples’ diets to 1.5 ounces (42 grams) a day, equivalent to one large steak a week, could prevent almost one in 10 early deaths in men and one in 13 in women.

The scientists said that the government’s current advice that people should eat no more than 2.5 ounces (70 grams) a day, around around the level the average Briton already consumes, was “generous”.

Dr Frank Hu, co-author of the study, said: “Given the growing evidence that even modest amounts of red meat is associated with increased risk of chronic disease and premature death, 2.5 ounces (70 grams) per day seems generous. The bottom line is that we should make red meat only an occassional rather than regular part of our diet.”

Red meat often contains high amounts of saturated fat, while bacon and salami contain large amounts of salt. Replacing red meat with poultry, fish or vegetables, whole grains and other healthy foods cut the risk of dying by up to one fifth, the study found.

That Why I'm switching to green meat
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQY6tuuK-9Ta2R--JxI4D...IoAnTM&t=1]
[quote='chuck white' pid='182867' dateline='1331610638']
Quote:Small quantities of processed meat such as bacon, sausages or salami can increase the likelihood of dying by a fifth, researchers from Harvard School of Medicine found. Eating steak increases the risk of dying by 12%.

<Snip>

Flawed study Chuck. Eat it raw and it's all good. And best if you don't wipe the blood from your face: Other folks tend to leave you be.

(03-14-2012, 06:34 PM)Wonky Wrote: [quote='chuck white' pid='182867' dateline='1331610638']

<Snip>

Flawed study Chuck. Eat it raw and it's all good. And best if you don't wipe the blood from your face: Other folks tend to leave you be.

And I walk away for a few... to prepare the venison tenderloin I have thawed out. I think I will continue to take my chances.
(03-14-2012, 06:37 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 06:34 PM)Wonky Wrote: [quote='chuck white' pid='182867' dateline='1331610638']

<Snip>

And I walk away for a few... to prepare the venison tenderloin I have thawed out. I think I will continue to take my chances.

OMG! Aren't you afraid that maybe you won't live to be 117 years old?
(03-14-2012, 08:29 PM)Wonky Wrote:

<Snip>

God no. But I hope you do, if it is in good health.
(03-14-2012, 08:33 PM)Larry Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 08:29 PM)Wonky Wrote:

<Snip>

God no. But I hope you do, if it is in good health.

Thanks but no thanks! I can't even begin to imagine how many body parts could hurt at that advanced age.
But it's all relative I guess. George Burns was leaving his 98th birthday party with a 20 year old woman known to be "a lot of fun". Someone said, "Hey George, that could be dangerous at your age". George turned and said, "If she dies, she dies".