Fringe Division : What are you doing right now ?
Half way through and then ready for the lathe [Image: half.jpg]
[Image: ready.jpg]
Ready to voice these two. [Image: tune.jpg]
(04-02-2012, 08:13 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Ready to voice these two. [Image: tune.jpg]

Is the meter used for tuning them?

Yeah first thing I do is file and sand the sound mechanism in the fore front to average specs , then I voice it and get it to sound like I want it to . The trick is to lengthen the north to south distance between the edge that cuts the air and the end of the flue or" groove" you see on the flute. You have to have that fixed first because it alters the positions of the holes. Then I take a reading and cut the length of the flute slowly until I get it to the a whole or major or minor note. I then have a distance and a note and I can then see what the bore value is with a flute making program . The true value is rarely the bore size of the router bit used. After all of that I can chose a short range of notes for 3/4 bores modified for my specific calculation and cut the flute to the length that will give me that note. Then I drill the holes the program gives me very carefully undersized and work my way to the right size while using that chromatic tuner. I can chose various hole placements depending on hole size in order to make it easier to reach the holes with my fingers. Then there is the finer aspects to tuning that I am far from grasping. Thing is you can get different notes by covering only half a hole and using your breath just right. The holes need to be specially tuned for that and undercutting is often involved. Neat huh ?
That's pretty awesome dude
Lets see a photo of a finished flute.

(04-02-2012, 08:13 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: [Image: tune.jpg]

How soon do the paddles go on? Laughing
Quote:How soon do the paddles go on? Laughing

Wow. Just like junior high.
this forum?
(04-03-2012, 07:09 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(04-02-2012, 08:13 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: [Image: tune.jpg]

How soon do the paddles go on? Laughing

Ponder, grab your words and shove them back where you pulled them out of.

That was rude.

Hamsammy has not poked at you at all since his return...then you come on his nice thread and start stirring shit...real adult of you.

(04-03-2012, 07:32 AM)bbqboy Wrote: this forum?

Ya, duh?
Who knew the forum had moved to the UK when no one was looking? That crafty Kam. He must have got a better offer. Laughing
(04-03-2012, 08:08 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Who knew the forum had moved to the UK when no one was looking? That crafty Kam. He must have got a better offer. Laughing

See, now that was a cute response...

so can you see the difference between that and your "dig" type response to the picture of the flutes?
(04-03-2012, 08:12 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(04-03-2012, 08:08 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Who knew the forum had moved to the UK when no one was looking? That crafty Kam. He must have got a better offer. Laughing

See, now that was a cute response...

so can you see the difference between that and your "dig" type response to the picture of the flutes?

They still look like oar handles to me, and a matched set of them, too. Laughing
I learned the electrical trade from a man, a friend of the family. He was a genius with anything electrical or in refrigeration and basically anything mechanical.
He was famous around our town for his knowledge and skills.
His house and his yard were totally cluttered and a mess. His work van would fill to the brim until you had to literally dig to find anything.
The part of his brain that categorized and organized was missing. IMO that meant there was more room for the creative,analytical thinking partLaughing

There are some people who spend way to much time categorizing and organizing and are very anal about things some of us could care less about.

(04-03-2012, 08:55 AM)tvguy Wrote: I learned the electrical trade from a man, a friend of the family. He was a genius with anything electrical or in refrigeration and basically anything mechanical.
He was famous around our town for his knowledge and skills.
His house and his yard were totally cluttered and a mess. His work van would fill to the brim until you had to literally dig to find anything.
The part of his brain that categorized and organized was missing. IMO that meant there was more room for the creative,analytical thinking partLaughing

There are some people who spend way to much time categorizing and organizing and are very anal about things some of us could care less about.
Actually I moved my chop saws to the garage and have been burning a lot the excess lumber I have hanging around.n Not redwood though. Breaking down old furniture as well and stuff. No matter how hard I try the flute making table gets messy in a flash. as does my office/recording space. But over all the mess and sawdust factor inside is down to a minimum .

If anyone is io inclined they could contact Administration and ask them to clean up this thread. Considering the bias here when it comes to moderating I have no more interest in reporting this than I do engaging with the crew.

Well , I just finished lunch. So many littel tasks to finish up before I can change router blades and do up some 1.25 inch bore blanks. I think I will infuse my day with a little guitar music , loosen up the fingers and then ease into the workshop.
Just finished a video of me on the lathe with a flute.
Making coffee
I have a little boy home with me, he has allergies that are just kicking him in the rear. I also have to run errand this afternoon. As well as doing some housework. I am also not in the best of moods right now and I have no idea why I feel like this today.