My best stepfather, ever
worked for Uncle Dave's Midway Mule And Mitchell Wagon Transportation Company, situated on The Dividing Line...Uncle Dave burned hay in his engines. In my latest Mother Earth, I'm reading about a guy who's moving big loads around his farm, and pushing big V8 pickups, down the road, faster than sensible rules allow. Doing it by feeding his engine wood! Wood chips fed to a gasifier in the bed of the truck. Built for about five hundred bucks, over a period of two or three hundred hours. One ton of dry hardwood chips would get you from here to Memphis. All green as a leprechaun's loin cloth. His filter is an oil drum, stuffed with the hay that Uncle Dave used, to fuel his operation. So, the crew cab is going on the block!!!! I got enough chips now, to drive to Kuala Lumpur. This is gonna' get me my mig welding merit badge, too!
(04-01-2012, 06:41 PM)illcommandante Wrote: worked for Uncle Dave's Midway Mule And Mitchell Wagon Transportation Company, situated on The Dividing Line...Uncle Dave burned hay in his engines. In my latest Mother Earth, I'm reading about a guy who's moving big loads around his farm, and pushing big V8 pickups, down the road, faster than sensible rules allow. Doing it by feeding his engine wood! Wood chips fed to a gasifier in the bed of the truck. Built for about five hundred bucks, over a period of two or three hundred hours. One ton of dry hardwood chips would get you from here to Memphis. All green as a leprechaun's loin cloth. His filter is an oil drum, stuffed with the hay that Uncle Dave used, to fuel his operation. So, the crew cab is going on the block!!!! I got enough chips now, to drive to Kuala Lumpur. This is gonna' get me my mig welding merit badge, too!

Apparently they were doing this in the depression. I've seen it done on a couple different TV shows. It's pretty cool. the drawback I think is all the carp you have to haul around to classify wood plus you have to haul the wood.

OK maybe not the depression but during WW2 ....

The technology became commonplace in many European countries during the Second World War, as a consequence of the rationing of fossil fuels. In Germany alone, around 500,000 producer gas vehicles were in operation by the end of the war.

[Image: 6a00e0099229e88833012876d498a2970c-500wi]

[Image: 6a00e0099229e88833012876d49fb3970c-500wi]

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/w...-cars.html

I'm guessing I'd go through about fifteen tons of wood a year. And, I think that'd leave me with tons of charcoal. Charcoal might be a nice way to heat my home? I'm definitely going for this one. This is worth a little investment. I've known about the technology for years, but it was always described as "Weak". Maybe. But, strong enough to suit me.