Rentals
Jobs
Shopping
Classifieds

Print Email Font Resize
Jean Barton: Mountain lions raid ranches

By Jean Barton
Updated: 04/07/2012 08:23:51 AM PDT

Brian Kingdon and Van Probst hang onto a monster tomcat killed Tuesday, March 13, one day after a full-scale slaughter of goats was discovered when the young boy who owned them went out to do his morning chores. ( Courtesy photo by Heather Kingdon)
The March rainfall in Tehama County was hit and miss. On Monday the 26th I recorded 0.2 tenths while the Gallatin Ranch west of Red Bluff had two inches and their creeks and ponds were bank full or filling. For the month, we measured 3.55 inches of rain, and most of it came just before the scheduled Field Day.

The ranchers in Indian Valley, Genesee and Taylorsville, Plumas Co. have had 7 mountain lions killed this year after they had lost pets and livestock. One after this one was killed. Alicia Knadler, Indian Valley editor, wrote the following story in the March 27 Lassen County Times.
http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/opinion...id-ranches
Sometimes when I'm down fishing, I'll notice a haunch of venison cooling in the water next to the bank. Or, get a whiff of another dead Bambi. My yard is one of their favorite eateries.
That's why we own a gun, we live at the edge of the food chain.
I've lived up close to them for twentyfive years. I've only ever seen one of them, once (In my yard). And, she didn't stop to chat. They aren't a concern.
(04-16-2012, 07:19 AM)illcommandante Wrote: I've lived up close to them for twentyfive years. I've only ever seen one of them, once (In my yard). And, she didn't stop to chat. They aren't a concern.

We had thirteen sightings in a two years time, they were stocking our puppies and hanging out in the underbrush. The neighbor had goats attacked and lost a bull to one.
The Cat was only doing what Cats do.

But of course we now share land where once only wild things roamed. We can't allow wild things to encroach on our domestic animals and humans. (Obviously). We are here to stay and the Cats still feel the pull of "their range". Conflict!

I would have preferred the ranchers killed this animal and not hung it for display. There is no glory, and should be no sense of vengeance. It had to be done, it was, and it should not be news.

At some point ranchers and those living in these areas are going to have to understand the burden of protection. It may be costly: I'd prefer not to be taxed for this effort should that be considered.

There is a magnificent wonder of wild animals! Let's hope we can establish some kind of balance to allow both ranching and still enjoy the benefit of knowing these wonderful beasts roam our lands.

(04-16-2012, 07:43 AM)Wonky Wrote: The Cat was only doing what Cats do.

But of course we now share land where once only wild things roamed. We can't allow wild things to encroach on our domestic animals and humans. (Obviously). We are here to stay and the Cats still feel the pull of "their range". Conflict!

I would have preferred the ranchers killed this animal and not hung it for display. There is no glory, and should be no sense of vengeance. It had to be done, it was, and it should not be news.

At some point ranchers and those living in these areas are going to have to understand the burden of protection. It may be costly: I'd prefer not to be taxed for this effort should that be considered.

There is a magnificent wonder of wild animals! Let's hope we can establish some kind of balance to allow both ranching and still enjoy the benefit of knowing these wonderful beasts roam our lands.

I agree with you, Wonky.
Oh Hammy,

Your picture makes me sad. An image of mankind's perversity.

Poor Kitty!

CryingCryingCrying
Do you know anybody that has disappered without a trace. Could be a cougar.
(04-16-2012, 07:23 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 07:19 AM)illcommandante Wrote: I've lived up close to them for twentyfive years. I've only ever seen one of them, once (In my yard). And, she didn't stop to chat. They aren't a concern.

We had thirteen sightings in a two years time, they were stocking our puppies and hanging out in the underbrush. The neighbor had goats attacked and lost a bull to one.

And the animal lovers who voted to save cougars from the mean old hunters and very likely to blame for your numerous problems with these cats that are now more abundant.
(04-16-2012, 10:29 AM)rainylady Wrote: Oh Hammy,

Poor Kitty!

CryingCryingCrying

Mankind or any other animal that kills another animal is not perverse just because people like you with Walt Disney ignorant and unreal ideas about managing wildlife think so.

With your logic why isn't the cat that was killed perverse? What about the pets and livestock that were "slaughtered"? nine goats in one night?
[Image: 420229_10150648174256182_154917401181_91...2166_n.jpg]
Quote: 'Wonky'
The Cat was only doing what Cats do.

Not really. the cats was doing what cats do when there is an overpopulation of cats. cat's are territorial and when there are too many some are forced to look for food outside of the forests and change their diet to pets and livestock.

Quote:I would have preferred the ranchers killed this animal and not hung it for display. There is no glory, and should be no sense of vengeance. It had to be done, it was, and it should not be news.

Of course it's news. It's the sixth cat that had to be put down in that area since January. Who are you to decide it's not news. If one of those cats had snatched your dog off of your porch would you still be saying it's not news?
Plus the animals size makes it newsworthy, That cat is freaking HUGE!
And where do you see "glory' or vengeance" displayed?
I totally understand that it's sad to see such a magnificent animal dead. But these ranchers hired professional hunters and did what they are supposed to do. All with full cooperation of wildlife officials.
This is nothing but game management.
Oregon now has nearly double the number of Cougars that wildlife experts think we should have based on these cougars range and breeding. I imagine the same is true in the area this story is about.
So plan on seeing a lot more of the same.

Quote:At some point ranchers and those living in these areas are going to have to understand the burden of protection. It may be costly: I'd prefer not to be taxed for this effort should that be considered.

The ranchers need to understand what?

Quote:There is a magnificent wonder of wild animals! Let's hope we can establish some kind of balance to allow both ranching and still enjoy the benefit of knowing these wonderful beasts roam our lands.

I think this article is all about establishing balance.

Poor Kitty!

CryingCryingCrying

In my humble opinion, such a magnificent animal should have been captured and relocated, not strung up and displayed like Mussolini and his mistress for a cheering mob.

[Image: 59027d1245527663-mussolini-autopsy-photo-deadbenito.jpg]
Good Grief.
(04-16-2012, 11:41 AM)Leonard Wrote:

Poor Kitty!

CryingCryingCrying

In my humble opinion, such a magnificent animal should have been captured and relocated, not strung up and displayed like Mussolini and his mistress for a cheering mob.

Thankfully we have educated highly trained experts who know that you can't relocate cats when we already have too many. And you especially don't relocate these problem cats who have already demonstrated that they have a learned behavior of killing pets and livestock in close proximity to humans.

I didn't see any cheering mob. I guess people see what the want to see.

It's a fucking dead cougar. It's hanging by a rope to illustrate it's abnormal and impressive size.
Jeeze all you touchy feely animal lovers, give me a break.

(04-16-2012, 11:46 AM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Good Grief.

reported!!! RazzRazzLaughing
(04-16-2012, 11:49 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 11:46 AM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Good Grief.

reported!!! RazzRazzLaughing
Lets round up all the problem kitties and put them in a huge fenced in area. Then round up some Trash and toss them in with kitties. We could throw in some bermuda pythons for fun as well.

reported for what? Leonard's valid comparison?
Cougars makes for good eating